New 2016 Fleet front dinette owner

SCUD

Advanced Member
The 16 week wait is over!

My schedule doesn't allow any trips right now, so the last couple of nights were spent dry-camping in the driveway. Here in the PNW we've been experiencing high winds and rain, but neither gave any problems. A heated BIPAP was used at mid-position for 16 hours, the furnace was set at 60 for 16 hours (evening temps about 50), the water heater was on for 48 hours, the refer was set at 5 for 48 hours, the Fantastic fan was on for 4 hours, 2 overhead lights were on for 10 hours, and a USB was on for 48 hours. The battery panel idiot lights dropped from 4 to 3, whatever that means. A real battery meter will be installed in the future. In about 40 years of camping, this is the quietest furnace ever heard! The compressor refer is noisier, and it's extremely quiet. The goal of dry-camping for 2-3 days without solar power looks achievable.

Does anyone else think that having to open the rear door before raising or lowering the curtain is silly?

The truck is a 2008 GMC Canyon Z71 4WD extended cab, with Timbren SES and Helwig 520 Lp/15 Helper Spring Kit. The truck handles 1100# payloads (a Harley bagger & Loadall loading system) with no problems, but the rear sags with the camper, 10 gallons of water, and full propane aboard. The camper CG is probably further back than other loads carried, but this is just a guess since none is given by 4WC. The 4WC MSO gives a dry weight of 1350# (150# more than the site weights would indicate and 250# more than what 4WC estimated on the phone). Taking off the jacks will reduce this to 1250# before adding water, propane, and gear.

Air Lift #59539 air bags and #7200 wireless control compressor are scheduled for installation this coming Tuesday to see if the truck can be levelled. The bags are intended to be used with the stock bump stops, but the Timbrens can be used also.

I picked up a barely used 2016 Grandby front dinette (very glad I got the front dinette) a month ago because I was too impatient to wait 16 weeks lol!
Yeah, having to open the door to open the curtain is kind of funky, I guess that's the price for having a screen door.
My 93 F250 diesel lowers 2" and is just barely off level with the loaded camper. In fact it rides great with the camper, with no load it is like driving a buckboard!

Congrats to both of you on your new campers.

SCUD, a simple solution. Drop into Fishermans in Oregon City and pick up some canvas snaps to install on a curtain and the screen door. Bently's on McLaughlin has them, too. Bently's could make a sunbrella curtain as well.

Even simpler, use Velcro to attach a curtain on the inside of the screen.

jonb96150 said:
I picked up a barely used 2016 Grandby front dinette (very glad I got the front dinette) a month ago because I was too impatient to wait 16 weeks lol!
Yeah, having to open the door to open the curtain is kind of funky, I guess that's the price for having a screen door.
My 93 F250 diesel lowers 2" and is just barely off level with the loaded camper. In fact it rides great with the camper, with no load it is like driving a buckboard!
I solved the curtain problem years ago.It is a VERY stupid arrangement.
I used a moose patterned kitchen towel with a dowel top and bottom.The top fits into the re positioned holders of the original curtain
and the bottom dowel fits into the groove of the screen door.Then when not in use it just rolls up on the bottom dowel and then fits into the groove at the top sides of the screen door.
Works perfect. No more opening the door then opening the screen then closing the curtain.
Great to see two more campers out there.Have fun and enjoy your rigs.
Frank

We rolled the curtain up and hung a towel on the bar I installed on the screen door. Now we flip on the spots and lift the towel to look outside.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

I made the door curtain inside the camper. Attached above the door with a wood dowel on the bottom. Rolls up and has a velcro strap.

Fast forward to 1:40 in the video below to see how the curtain works.

Thanks, all. The curtain ideas are very helpful, and let us know that we are not the only ones unimpressed with the factory solution.

Wandering; Bentley's Boat Tops is a great idea! We had them make a Sunbrella cover for a huge skylight in our motorhome bathroom. I intended to see if they can make one for the vent over the bed. Now I can see about the window shade at the same time.

Frank & Longhorn 1; Great ideas.

Bill; beautiful work on everything!

Scott

Firestone #2384 "Ride-Rite" 4800# capacity air bags installed (Hellwig & Timbrens removed).
firestone_ride_rite_air_bags.gif

Air Lift wireless #72000 compressor installed.
41CCr1tgCNL.jpg

The truck now rides level and drives much better.

still waiting on my hawk shell :( should have by thanksgiving. I passed on curtain option, and ordered hd Velcro. my daughter made me curtains, and sewn in the Velcro. added firestone airbags a few weeks back. congrats on your camper. yes the wait sucks

Back
Top Bottom