New Bike- Just In Time For Winter (Ha)

realbtl

Contributors
IMG_0579.jpgIMG_0577.jpgIMG_0578.jpgI really like my recumbent trike but it's kind of a PITA to haul around, needs a pickup or trailer. I've been looking at recumbent 2 wheelers for a while and a demo came up at Lightfoot Cycles down in Darby. Since these are rather spendy items I decided to save the $500 and get it even though I'll likely not be able to ride much until March or so. At least it will go on my bike rack which folds down so I can get into the camper. I've also got it on a trainer so I can start riding in at least somewhat decent shape.

I like recumbents as they are easier on the wrists as well as body parts a bit further south plus I see so much more of the scenery opposed to a standard. Lightfoot is a small shop who also made my trike. Nice folks and I like to support small local businesses. Website is www.lightfootcycles.com (sorry, having trouble with linky thing).

Congrats!! Why not just put chains on the rear and a ski on the front?? :D

I've never ridden a recumbent but looks like fun!! Enjoy!!

Ben G, Silvertip- You can get studded bike tires for most sizes but if I wanted to ride in snow or ice I'd take the trike, can't fall over that way. The downside is that after working your way up a hill you probably shouldn't fly down the other side. Here in Montana the real stopper for me in winter is temp. Below about 15 degrees it's just not that much fun. Recumbents are a lot of fun though there is a learning curve. I'm a little wobbly now but expect to improve with practice. Because you sit fairly close to the ground, about 2' for me on this bike, it's easier to put down a foot.

Barko- I don't ride busy roads, no fun with the cars screaming past. There are a lot of forest service dirt roads and low-traffic back roads around me. Plus they open Going-to-the Sun to walkers and bikes for about 6 weeks as they are plowing it in the Spring. Now that is a nice ride. Since I've got the trainer I may get to the top this year.

I had a recumbant for a while a number of years back. However, mine had a shorter wheel base than yours. My front wheel was under the legs and the crank was out in front by itself. Two things - you will get over that wobbly thing under normal conditions with time. But if I hit a pothole or uneven pavement at speed, it was difficult to remain in control. That could have been due to the shorter wheel base, though. Second, good luck going up the GTTS road. Because you aren't above the crank, you can't put your weight into cranking uphill. Notice how riders stand up on the pedals when grinding up a hill. No doing that on a recumbant. It pure leg power all the way. That said, recumbants are a lot of fun. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom