New Camper Mods

mac

I'm still relative new to the forum and know that many of you may have had modifications included in your build. I am also getting ready to order and hoped to tap into your collective experience. What made sense to you to include in the build of your campers? Extra support for______, cabinet/ storage options, floorplan mods, options other than those listed. I've always had this thing about being able to see stars as I've been living out of the back,under a shell, for the past 15 summers: skylights? I know from your postings how open the folks at ATC are about working with optional ideas and is the reason I'm looking in their direction. Mac

How about a 14X14 clear panel instead of a second vent? (14X14 because that is the size of the second vent cutout) We like our dinette, but your desires may vary. We wanted to be able to see out of the window if we were seated in the camper, hence the dinette. A lot depends on what size you are talking about. Bobcats are small and mods are necessarily limited. Panthers, Cougars, other full size campers have more room to mess with. I would say to keep the reason for the camper in mind. What makes sense in terms of your projected use? Be realistic in terms of what you can live with and what you can live without. You don't have to have all the comforts of home when out camping, something not appreciated by many in the RV community. You also have the option of adding things that are useful to you after purchase.

Mac,
I bought my ATC Panther used and I think you will be very pleased with their product.

Mine had a furnace,sink and water tank, stove,fridge,and battery.

If I had it to do over I would just get a shell with furnace and modify it to suit my purpose.

I use an Engel 12 volt fridge in the truck cab as I found the 3 way fridge to be more trouble than it was worth. I moved the camper battery to the engine compartment along with the charge controls. Much better location and frees up storage space.

I don't use the water tank that much and would rather have the space for storage of water jerry cans. A plastic wash basin would do me just fine and free up a lot of space for storage.

I like the stove for heating water and would keep it although I do most of my cooking outside. The space where the water tank is might be able to be used for an Engel fridge. Check that you can raise the lid with the top down.

Solar is nice. I added a 65 watt panel to keep the Engel going.

I added two pull out tables which I like much better than the stock table. Check my posts to see some of the mods.

Keep it simple and light.

I view my camper as pretty much a tent on wheels with some additional comforts and spend most of my time outside.
Nice to sleep out of the rain and bugs, but not a house.
Dsrtrat

How about a 14X14 clear panel instead of a second vent? (14X14 because that is the size of the second vent cutout) We like our dinette, but your desires may vary. We wanted to be able to see out of the window if we were seated in the camper, hence the dinette. A lot depends on what size you are talking about. Bobcats are small and mods are necessarily limited. Panthers, Cougars, other full size campers have more room to mess with. I would say to keep the reason for the camper in mind. What makes sense in terms of your projected use? Be realistic in terms of what you can live with and what you can live without. You don't have to have all the comforts of home when out camping, something not appreciated by many in the RV community. You also have the option of adding things that are useful to you after purchase.

I've seen a few products of various sizes and when I swung by ATC in late June Marty said they could probably work with an opening of up to 30" square. The dinette configuration makes sense but does it affect storage? Are there any postings of a dinette? Mac

Mac,
I bought my ATC Panther used and I think you will be very pleased with their product.

Mine had a furnace,sink and water tank, stove,fridge,and battery.

If I had it to do over I would just get a shell with furnace and modify it to suit my purpose.

I use an Engel 12 volt fridge in the truck cab as I found the 3 way fridge to be more trouble than it was worth. I moved the camper battery to the engine compartment along with the charge controls. Much better location and frees up storage space.

I don't use the water tank that much and would rather have the space for storage of water jerry cans. A plastic wash basin would do me just fine and free up a lot of space for storage.

I like the stove for heating water and would keep it although I do most of my cooking outside. The space where the water tank is might be able to be used for an Engel fridge. Check that you can raise the lid with the top down.

Solar is nice. I added a 65 watt panel to keep the Engel going.

I added two pull out tables which I like much better than the stock table. Check my posts to see some of the mods.

Keep it simple and light.

I view my camper as pretty much a tent on wheels with some additional comforts and spend most of my time outside.
Nice to sleep out of the rain and bugs, but not a house.
Dsrtrat

My basics are furnace, stove maybe, extra battery, and a place to tie flies out of the wind and/or rain then decide on the amount of fluff is needed to keep all elements satisfied. Thanks for the ideas and I'll look for your posts. Mac

Try Bobcat with a Dinette thread ( http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2159/ ) for pics. In the FWC forums look in the New to me Hawk thread
( http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2212/ ) for dinette pics in a larger camper. I don't believe there is any loss of storage worth talking about with the dinette configuration.

As a contrast, I like the little refrigerator, the ability to carry water in an on board tank, the furnace, the sink, etc. It is what you want to do with the camper that dictates what you want to put in it. You might be happy with a shell where you can outfit to taste. I agree with the 'keep it light' idea. Less strain on your equipment when the truck isn't overloaded.

If you like to build I'd say get a shell with funance/propane tank cabinet installed in the rear corner and the extended slide out bed, then build out the cabinets/seating to your liking.

Back
Top Bottom