New Camper Projects

huckfinn

Advanced Member
I thought the first thing I should do was figure out how to get in and out of it. This prototype has flaws:
It doesn't fold flat. The top step is too high. My dog looks at it suspiciously. However, in spite of my worry, the main support (white oak 2x2) that fits into the trailer hitch is plenty strong.

20.jpg

I bought this aluminum hitch storage tray to keep the floor of the camper bare and usable for lunch stops etc. Especially good for the storage of the firewood and camp chairs. I noticed its height was just about perfect for easily getting in through the door and I liked the idea of a back porch to sit on.

21.jpg

Another great thing about the tray is that it can easily carry a dozen full sheets of plywood vertically, using the folding roof steps on either side of the back of the camper as perfect tie-offs.

22.jpg

Door hinges

23.jpg

The ramp fits into the porch, and the porch fits into the tray with plenty of room for storage.

24.jpg

Dual batteries under the hood. I may get an aluminum Allpro bumper and a winch someday.

25.jpg

The battery manager.

26.jpg

At first I put the stock back-up camera (that was in the tailgate) on the bumper. But that location didn't allow me to step on the bumper easily.

27.jpg

This is not such a great picture. The idea was to find a way to attach my ten-foot longboard to the roof without a ladder. Fin end goes forward, caught between the heavy rope and pipe insulation secured with tape and pipe clamps. I can reach the other end from the folding steps on the back of the camper.

28.jpg

29.jpg

Nice looking add-ons there, Huck. I trust you're keeping an eye on post-rear-axle weights and truck departure angle if you ever plan on doing any driving your Tacoma+Fleet on hilly dirt (I'm guessing, since you mentioned the possibility of adding a winch). Weight in general will be your biggest nemesis, as it has been for most of us WTWers. Good luck with your projects.
Rico

Thanks, Paul, BB's steps are a work of art.

SD—The idea was that the rope would be stiff and thick enough for me to just spear the board through, standing on the top back step of the camper, shoving the fin up tight. Works with some fiddling. On the back end I'm using those steel reinforced locking tension straps (for surfboards) where the board gets narrower. I'll post the brand of the hitch carrier tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom