New CBI Rear Bumper

24hoursofnevada

Advanced Member
I made a quick trip to CBI in Idaho this last week and had him custom build a new rear bumper for the Super Duty. I thought you guys might like to see another available option for the full size market.

Enjoy.

IMG_4268.jpg

IMG_4278.jpg

IMG_4280.jpg

IMG_4282.jpg

IMG_4284.jpg

IMG_4285.jpg

IMG_4287.jpg

IMG_4288.jpg

Wow! Looks like Stainless? Your design? Looks functional.

It is very nice and I'm sure it was a bit of a cost.
There seems to be different configurations, I see a (hitch?) ball in one pic.

~DR

Love the multi-carrier, I want one so bad!!! I was looking at something similar from tactical Armour Group but they get such bad reviews in regard to customer service :cautious:

Wow! Looks like Stainless? Your design? Looks functional.

It is very nice and I'm sure it was a bit of a cost.
There seems to be different configurations, I see a (hitch?) ball in one pic.

~DR

Thanks guys. I wish it were stainless, but its regular mild steel. I took pictures of it unfinished to show the details, sometimes black is hard for me to photograph. There is a hidden hitch receiver behind the flip up license plate.

The design is one that CBI uses for Tacoma pick-ups. I called Steve up and asked if he would be interested in making a full size version and he was more than willing to do so. I had specific design requirements, such as it had to be narrow enough for the camper jacks to pass without hitting them. I wanted the side protection and the cut bed sides and the spindle had to be offset enough for the camper to easily slide on. I had the light pockets designed especially for the 2" Vision X Solstice L.E.D.'S and I also requested the adjustable camp light mount. The biggest design requirement was that the bumper needed to be close fitting with no excess bulk.

CBI has pre made tables. but they are sized again for 4 Runners and Tacoma's. I had them build a bigger version and requested no dimple dies to the right of the stove so we could use that as a small prep area while cooking.

Steve (CBI Fabricator) said it was the largest swing out he has built to date. I had him size it, so it will fit a 35" tire if I decide to upgrade from the current 255/85R16 that I currently run. I asked that the propane basket be on the passenger side, so that I may leave the propane bottle in the carrier and run the hose to the stove (Which has it's gas line on the left) or I can run it into the camper through the tie down door and hook it to our Mr. Buddy Heater.

For more detailed pics you can click on the link to my build thread.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/64023-Project-Waltzing-Matilda/page11

Love the multi-carrier, I want one so bad!!! I was looking at something similar from tactical Armour Group but they get such bad reviews in regard to customer service :cautious:

CBI has great reviews. I have two friends that own local high end fab shops and I was really torn about not using them for this bumper. Especially since I had just had a bbq with one of them three days before I left for Idaho. With that being said, I am very pleased with my decision to use Steve at CBI. The bumper was everything I thought it would be and more. Since he had never built a rear bumper he quoted me three days for the build. There was no "Fab Shop Hustle" he stuck to the three days and he had close to 40 hours of labor in it.

The propane basket can also double as a fire wood hauler since it has no center divider like the fuel/water can basket.

Thanks for the write-up and pics before powder coat. I see you opted for the whistles and bells. :) I have some different desires and it helps me to see what is available before I spring for a $,$$$ bumper. Very serviceable. Enjoy that.

Awesome bumper, can't wait to check it out in person. Hopefully your recovery is going well and we can hook up before you leave for AK.

Jack

Back
Top Bottom