New cushion covers

badtoytrd

VA...for hopefully a short period of time...with W
We just got back from a trip to Acadia and my wife decided that she wanted separate bed covers. The upper bed is about the size of a king but we only had room for traditional queen sheets. Well, I found that Costco is selling their down throws again and I decided to give them a try. I added a few snaps to my throw so it was more like a backpacking quilt. I also decided to change the color theme in the camper and make fitted sheets for all of the cushions. Below is the result of that project. The seat cushions I did in a gray and I will try and post a pic of them later as well. I think it looks like a brand new camper and definitely a one of a kind. Still, need to make some new curtains though to really finish the project.

IMG_3090.JPG
IMG_3094.JPG
IMG_3095.JPG

Wow, looks really nice! I've been thinking it would be nice to redo the cushions to personalize the camper a bit. You've set the bar high!

We use fitted sheets and a mattress pad in our camper over all the cushions and a top sheet- queen size fits pretty well. We use sleeping bags as comforters. We usually keep the bed slide out and the bedding stays on but your approach would work better for sliding the bed back during the day.

Thanks for posting the picture.

takesiteasy said:
Wow, looks really nice! I've been thinking it would be nice to redo the cushions to personalize the camper a bit. You've set the bar high!

We use fitted sheets and a mattress pad in our camper over all the cushions and a top sheet- queen size fits pretty well. We use sleeping bags as comforters. We usually keep the bed slide out and the bedding stays on but your approach would work better for sliding the bed back during the day.

Thanks for posting the picture.
Thanks. It should be a bit easier to set up now that each cushion has its own cover and we don't pull the fitted sheet down over the 4 other cushions. It is all about the small improvements to help speed up setup and break down of camp. We will take any short cut we can when traveling with an 18-month-old.

That is a wonderful idea. Don't like putting on the fitted sheet each night. We sleep with the bed pillows set up in a pattern two at foot two at top and the large in the middle. That is done because we bought a replacement foam for the large cushion which is light years more comfortable. It is under our torsos with the harder cushions under the head pillows and under our feet.

I would love to set up the sheets like you have done. Not being a seamster was wondering if the smaller cushions are set like a pillow case ( I would think 4 king size pillow cases could be tweaked to fit tightly, or are they sewn as small fitted sheets. If so I assume the corners are made with an elastic sew in material? Easily procured?

This is a great winter project...when the wind howls and the fire roars... sit down and sew. It is great getting new ideas that make the camper more what it is for...fun!

I have posted a couple more pictures of the cushion covers above. More specifically the gray covers I made for the couch and what the lower bed cushions look like when they are on the couch as well as the back of one of the cushions to show how I made them.

buckland said:
That is a wonderful idea. Don't like putting on the fitted sheet each night. We sleep with the bed pillows set up in a pattern two at foot two at top and the large in the middle. That is done because we bought a replacement foam for the large cushion which is light years more comfortable. It is under our torsos with the harder cushions under the head pillows and under our feet.

I would love to set up the sheets like you have done. Not being a seamster was wondering if the smaller cushions are set like a pillow case ( I would think 4 king size pillow cases could be tweaked to fit tightly, or are they sewn as small fitted sheets. If so I assume the corners are made with an elastic sew in material? Easily procured?

This is a great winter project...when the wind howls and the fire roars... sit down and sew. It is great getting new ideas that make the camper more what it is for...fun!
I really didn't like pulling the fitted sheet down each night and my wife hated it. It also was a bit of a pain putting everything away in the morning especially with a little one. I am in no way a seamster and it was a very easy project. I did make fitted sheets using 3/8" elastic on the corners for everything and added 1 1/2" elastic across them to ensure they stayed tight. It can be hard to fit fabric wide enough so I just bought flat sheets from WalMart. I was able to get everything from either JoAnns or WalMart. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Thanks for the extra photos. I see and understand! I take it they aren't too hard to get off for washing. I think the four smaller cushions will fit in the king sized pillow cases. I was thinking of buying whatever fitted sheet would fit in one dimension on the large cushion... then alter the length by cutting off the other fitted end and re-sewing it back on to fit. You've got me thinking!....thanks for your idea. it is a good one.

Back
Top Bottom