New Diesel Trucks and the use of DEF

We'have not had any problems with frozen DEF during our first winter with an F350. Coldest was -19F. At temps around -15F the glow plug light was on for about 4 seconds. I use Power Service all winter. I can't even start our Kubota (Tier 3) in temps like that without the block heater.

you guys make me real happy I bought the last series 2003 7.3...reading this makes me shiver

It should be mandatory to have overrides on Fire vehicles...or any exemptions to restricting speed at all....

I'll be getting my first diesel with the 2016 Colorado. (not including my tractor) Not sure about the best DEF after purchase. I have heard bad things about the Peak Blue..."poor quality" warnings on the dash. AdBlue ? Not sure which the Duarmax will prefer. Any GM diesel owners out there have suggestions?

buckland said:
I'll be getting my first diesel with the 2016 Colorado. (not including my tractor) Not sure about the best DEF after purchase. I have heard bad things about the Peak Blue..."poor quality" warnings on the dash. AdBlue ? Not sure which the Duarmax will prefer. Any GM diesel owners out there have suggestions?
I've got a duramax and always try to fill up at the pump. Much cheaper, less messy and easier. If I remember right most of the stations had peak blue at the pump. I've never had an issue but I've only got 12k on the truck.

Thanks thats the trouble with looking at blogs for info... there is stuff all over the map...so hard to tell what is legit.
I am on the east coast and have not seen the DEF at the pump so will start looking.

I just read that if the pump nozzle is to big most stations have an addapter at the counter they will let you use. Also it sounds like the bigger issue is the shelf life of the DEF if its been sitting around for a while in a jug/box that can cause an issue. Most people in the know seem to seek out the pump source to avoid the shelf life issue and its much cheaper.

Buckland I've been snooping the 2.8 forums. The one thing yhat seems to be a surprise is the dealers are not filling the DEF tank when you pick up the truck. So many people are getting a low DEF warning / surprise shortly down the road.

Gotta watch them dealers... It took me 5 dealers to find a straight shooter... all the bait and switch... can't stand it. So I hope the dealer will fill a bit of the DEF ...he did say a full tank before leaving.... I like small town business... keep it local and pay a bit more. Is better all around in the end. Though I am anxious about this big leap from a lifetime Taco owner to a Chevy diesel.... after the test drives there was no comparison.... still 16 years with a taco... hope for the same with the diesel.

buckland said:
Gotta watch them dealers... It took me 5 dealers to find a straight shooter... all the bait and switch... can't stand it. So I hope the dealer will fill a bit of the DEF ...he did say a full tank before leaving.... I like small town business... keep it local and pay a bit more. Is better all around in the end. Though I am anxious about this big leap from a lifetime Taco owner to a Chevy diesel.... after the test drives there was no comparison.... still 16 years with a taco... hope for the same with the diesel.
I bought my F350 from a small town dealer, and got a better buy than Portland metro folks were willing to provide. Their maintenance is top notch, and much less per hour than the metro dealers. I really like shopping local anytime I can.

I think you'll be quite pleased with your Chevy diesel. :)

Back to DEF, we just completed a 4,500 mile trip with a 3,000 pound hard side truck camper (Northern Lite) and used 3 1/2 gallons.

FWIW, on our trip back last week, I intentionally ran the DEF tank dry to see what would happen. (I had a 2.5 gallon jug with me). The gauge ran in the red forever then I got a nice chime that said I'd be limited to 5MPH in 200 miles. As I was only 50 miles from home at that point I just let it ride. Next morning I started it up and got the nice chime saying I was ~150 miles from 5MPH. I then filled the tank.

I wanted to know what to expect by way of warning in a controlled setting. I can't imagine I'd ever be more than 200 miles away from a source of DEF and I know the gauge gives me ample warning. Nice to know also if something catastrophic happens like a DEF tank puncture, I'm 200 miles from a problem.

I have had to put DEF in a hand full of times in the 19,000 I've had my truck. It only really seems to use it when pulling a load or running with the camper but that may be my imagination. I've been using the 2.5 gallon jugs from Walmart for $8.00. Comparing the SAE specs on the jug to the name brand stuff looks the same to me. The jugs I bought had tags on them with the manufacture date and both were only a few weeks old when I got them.

I had my 99 5.9 Cummins for 15 years and 110k miles and I was very reluctant to go to the DEF 6.7 but now that I've had it for a year and a half I didn't have anything to worry about....

My opinion only - take it for what its worth.

That was good science. It will be reassuring to know there aren't many places 200 miles without. Even so my tank is 5 gallons so it should never occur if I keep reasonably full. Glad also to hear the DEF doesn't interfere with performance. I am psyched to get a truck that won't leave me in third gear on a hill at 40 mph like my 4 cylinder Tacoma with the camper. A 650 mile range will also be a treat. Thanks for your input.

Buckland I'm really curious to hear how the new rig is with the camper. Hope to see a first new rig trip report soon. Ha!!

You and me both! I ordered it a month ago and the estimated delivery is May 15th. I am biting the bit. Have been doing research while I wait as I have to either add to the camper base or build a separate platform to raise the camper 3 3/4". I am planning on building, in the space between the bottom of the camper and the rear bumper, a locked mount for the High lift jack. Out of the way under and accessible. Also trying to find out how best to relocate the antenna as the cabover will hit it. Would like to just remove the 8" mast (threaded) and screw in a cable to a new mount attached from under the cabover sticking out in front....direct and I hope easy.... if I find the parts.
I am very psyched up about this change... Taco to Colorado all for the diesel. Power to haul and range. As it is a 3/4 ton not sure if I'll have to go to Firestone ride-rites as I had on the Taco. I had also added an extra leaf. Not sure I'll need that either. I have given thought to a front end 2" lift but all this is daydreaming ahead. I HATE waiting. I promise to take some photos and start a new string. I tried to contact Jackson Hole FWC as they have done a Colorado mount ...haven't heard back. It hurts saying goodbye to the Taco...it did well.

Buckland,
I've had my Duramax Colly for about 6 weeks now, a 4x4 CC SB. I have figured the mounts out, and just need to decide between the Swift or Fleet shell. This last weekend, I made a test to see how the springs would react to 1000lbs. I have 3 spare tires/rims for my FMTV, they weigh 340 lbs each,all told, about the same as a modest FWC. :D . The truck dropped 4" at the rear and up 1 1/2" up in front, and as you can see, all the weight is behind the axle, and a camper would put a small amount forward. I have ordered Air Lifts for it. I know they'll be needed to retard the rebound of the stock springs.
Also there are 3" antennas for the Colorado on eBay
And as I did with the Kestrel, I'll make a forkliftable riser on the camper for quick r&r.

BTW, I tried to get FWC to make a "proper" camper for the Colorado, which amounts to a narrow version of the Raven or Hawk, but said no. I would love to have the 6" of extra height in the door.

Attachments

• DSCN0860s.jpg
    DSCN0860s.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 136
  • DSCN0861s.jpg
    DSCN0861s.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 138
DS thats interesting. I wonder if just a spring pack upgrade on the rear end for those going full time camper mode? The LB wheel base is it longer than the SB? I wonder if that would change how it squats with the same load?

Cool stuff.

On the 2016 Crew cab the SB wheelbase is 128.3" On the LB it is 140.5" I believe the squat will be markedly less.

Back
Top Bottom