New Dining Table

captainphx

We love our new FWC camper, but one short coming is the little table. It gets in the way of your feet and legs and is just too small. I have seen photos of Leadsled's Lagun table base, so I decided I would try something like that. I ordered the Lagun base some months ago, and I just let it sit, while I contemplated how to modify it, as well as recover from the initial cost. Eventually, after some thought, I decided to have 4 inches removed from the middle of the horizontal piece and 7 inches removed from the middle of the vertical piece. I also needed to have two more mounting holes re-drilled in the base bracket. I found a good welding shop that specializes in aluminum and brought them the parts. They did a good job, and when I got it back home, I painted it. (primer, paint, clear topcoat) I then mounted the bracket. It looks like this.

IMG_0586.jpg

I also used the supplied reinforcement plate on the exterior of the camper.

IMG_0577.jpg

The finished bracket and base look like this.

IMG_0573.jpg

IMG_0571.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

I then made a table top from 1 inch thick pieces of Maple, used a router with a round over bit to smooth the edges and coated it with verathane.

IMG_0578.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

This is the view from outside the camper.

IMG_0581.jpg

And, finally, this is what the bracket looks like when the seat is folded down.

IMG_0587.JPG

So far, I find this table to be very sturdy, and with it's ability to swivel the base as well as the top, it is very adjustable and much more useful. The dimensions of the top are 20 inches by 26 inches, as compared to 16 by 24 for the original. I removed the original FWC table base bracket from the floor, and now we have a much more comfortable place to sit.

Well I've got table envy. Wish I had known of this Lagun mount when we rebuilt our camper. Something else to save for. Thanks for posting this up!

We love our new FWC camper, but one short coming is the little table. It gets in the way of your feet and legs and is just too small. I have seen photos of Leadsled's Lagun table base, so I decided I would try something like that. I ordered the Lagun base some months ago, and I just let it sit, while I contemplated how to modify it, as well as recover from the initial cost. Eventually, after some thought, I decided to have 4 inches removed from the middle of the horizontal piece and 7 inches removed from the middle of the vertical piece. I also needed to have two more mounting holes re-drilled in the base bracket. I found a good welding shop that specializes in Aluminum and brought them the parts. They did a good job, and when I got it back home, I painted it. (primer, paint, clear topcoat) I then mounted the bracket. It looks like this.

View attachment 14813

Nice, so how much did it set you back price wise?

Nice, so how much did it set you back price wise?

Well, I was afraid someone would ask that. Lagun bracket $225 online. Welding $90. Several cans of spray paint and some verathane. (which I already had) Table top was made from 3 pieces of maple wood I had, but probably would have been about $40 from a woodworkers supply store. Did the glue up and sanding myself. Not cheap, but sure works good.

By the way, storing the table and base is pretty slick also. The vertical piece slides in the dovetail on the bottom of the table base.

IMG_0605.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

Well, I was afraid someone would ask that. Lagun bracket $225 online. Welding $90. Several cans of spray paint and some verathane. (which I already had) Table top was made from 3 pieces of maple wood I had, but probably would have been about $40 from a woodworkers supply store. Did the glue up and sanding myself. Not cheap, but sure works good.

When it's quality made, it's worth it. Great job.

Nice work, Capt'n! I did a swivel table mod in our Hawk and tossed out the useless FWC table (paging Stan . . . ;))

I used Westfalia knock off parts for mine, but I think you did a nicer job.
You'll love the flexibility of moving the table around. Works good for watching after dinner movies on a laptop too!

Of course there is a China copy for $78.
Quality an unknown?
http://www.cascadede...Anodized/Detail

Ask ntsqd -- he got one.

Seems like somebody else who got one posted, too, something like (paraphrasing) "It's definitely worth the price, but probably not genuine-Lagun quality"...but I can't find that post, so maybe I imagined it.
blink.gif

Ask ntsqd -- he got one.

Seems like somebody else who got one posted, too, something like (paraphrasing) "It's definitely worth the price, but probably not genuine-Lagun quality"...but I can't find that post, so maybe I imagined it.
blink.gif

Sure looks the same!

It does look the same with one exception. The length of the horizontal bar on ours looks to be quite a bit longer. I'm measuring 12-3/4" hole center to hole center.
Ours installed:
IMG_0509.jpg

Our Phoenix came with the step under the table. There is storage under it.

It does look the same with one exception. The length of the horizontal bar on ours looks to be quite a bit longer. I'm measuring 12-3/4" hole center to hole center.

Wow, sure looks similiar. Ours is 10 3/4"

Back
Top Bottom