New Fleet Owners

Cathy

Hello all,

My husband and I traveled from Manitoba down to Eagle, WI last week...(oops make that two weeks ago...how time flies when you are having fun!) to have Sean Dempsey install a Fleet Model on our Ford Ranger 4X4 Truck. Talk about wonderful ambassadors for FWC, Sean and Diana had breakfast waiting when we arrived at 0800 hours, which we ate while Sean got straight to work. I off-loaded the tarp which sat in the back of our truck on the way down, unwrapped it and started packing our things into the camper as he attached the unit to the truck.

Diana wondered where in the world we would put all the boating, fishing and camping equipment but it all fit in like a dream...well almost all...she called a day later to say we'd forgotten two cushions! Sean had us look at several models of Engel fridges which he had in stock and we decided to have the Engel 45 installed in the camper. It proved to be an excellent choice; I especially like the fact that we can use it either in fridge or freezer mode.

Diana made us all a wonderful lunch with home made sausages and beans after which Sean finished up the installation then demoed all the new owner stuff for us. Since he is in the middle of seeding he left for the fields as soon as his work was done and we continued to pack up the camper with Diana's help as we were headed north to Sault Ste. Marie for some fishing. We drove as far as the Michigan border that night and just at dusk pulled off into an obscure boat launch on the shore of Lake Michigan to sleep. Up she goes...and we were asleep within minutes. Oh...the Fleet camper is wide enough for DH and I to sleep width-wise and the large portion of the mattress (48 X 74)is fine for the two of us, so we will not be using the pull-out bed at all. Just thought potential purchasers might like to know about that option...we are both under 5'9" tho.

It was cold, very cold, and as we headed towards the Sault we had a full force blizzard. No campgrounds open, so we checked into a hotel for the night. We had to stop at the border to do the customs/duty thing and that took about 10 minutes and we were on our way. Next day DH fished (Atlantic salmon and steelhead) and I scoured Dollarama and Wal-Mart for bits and pieces.

We did get back to using the Fleet every night and had a wonderful week traveling up the east coast of Lake Superior, working our way back to Winnipeg, checking out the fishing holes along the way and getting to know our camper/truck combo much better. We were surprised how good the mileage was.

Let's see...we would have loved a softer mattress...but maybe it softens with use? We permanently attached one end of the bungee cords so we wouldn't forget where we put them...and once home we removed the opaque sliders in the screen door and replaced them with clear plexiglas for better rear view mirror visability. Apart from those few changes we are extremely happy with the Fleet. Thanks to all the staff at FWC and especially Sean and Diana for getting us off to a great start. Cathy and Buster Welch, Clandeboye, MB Canada

Congrads on the new camper. We have a ranger edge and I think an eagle. Anyway we love it. We spent a month in it in the EVerglades and we are now in Alaska. ;)

Congrats! Enjoy the new camper in good health, and be sure to leave some fish for me!

Back
Top Bottom