New Fleet roof popping up/down at hiway speeds--any one else?

scappoosebrad

Advanced Member
Just took delivery on our new Fleet with mounted solar panel on the roof, but in our travels to/from the distributor in Tigard (40 mile r/t), we experienced a loud popping noise several times at highway speeds especially when decelerating...sounded like it was coming from the roof apparently rising and falling due to "wind sheer"...

First of all, this morning Jeff and Terry at the factory were very surprised at this event...both said that "should not" happen nor has it happened with other new Fleets to their knowledge. Thankfully, Terry offered to have the camper returned to factory for a full fix ... boohoo, but what more could you ask for customer service! It will probably be a 6 to 8 week delay in finally getting our camper, but good on them offering to "make it right".

My question to members, has anyone else experienced "roof popping" up and down at hiway speeds? again, we have the 160w. factory solar panel permanently mounted on our new Fleet.

Anxious to hear if anyone else has had similar events... thanks...

If you're talking about 'oil canning' it is a known issue with some FWC campers. There have been a few threads on it.

Google "Wander the West: oil canning" and you should find them.

Another possibility since it was just installed is loosened turnbuckles. Do you have a spray in bedliner or rubber mat? If not, a slightly loosened turnbuckle or two can allow the camper to move around some that can make some noise. As the bed mounting points settle in, that mounting point flex is reduced. My Hawk made some noise at first on my Tundra even with LineX and several tightenings were needed over the first few trips. Occasionally, I hear a clunk when on rough roads when going up or down hill that I attribute to a combination of bed flex and gravity allowing the camper to move a little.

Did you take Cornelius Pass on the way home? It is a little bumpy and bounces the truck around especially heading downhill to Hwy 30. Gravity pulls the camper to the rear going uphill, then pushes it forward as you top Skyline & tap the brakes while taking the S curve just over the top.

Congratulations on your new Fleet.

Paul

Brad

I would echo other comments that there are a lot of new sights and sounds associated with hauling your new camper.

You will see in your mirrors the movement of the truck bed...that you may not have noticed before.

Lots of creaking and other noises at first.

How do you know its is the roof ?

Did another driver see it from behind you ?

I guess I am suggesting remain calm and try to evaluate things.....

The floor of our hawk makes a godawful squaky noise when you walk inside.....I am trying to address that now that I am remounting it for the upcoming season.......have only owned one year.

David Graves

PS Lots of owners in the north west...call em up!

Paul, David thanks for your suggestions...we have a bed pad that appeared to have locked in positioning on the bed quite nicely...plus we were vigilant to check/tighten the turnbuckles at first and then when we arrived at home on our first trip (yes up/down Corny Pass)... but I believe "wandering sagebrush" I think accurately described what we heard--an "oil canning" noise.. definitely coming from above--from the roof as best we could tell... yes, we should have had a following car to observe... but the loud popping was so immediate and continued during our return trip to Tigard 2 days later(for a component walk through)...so Jeff suggested we call the factory immediately and try to problem solve...with both Jeff and Terry stumped on a quick fix, Terry suggested the camper return to the factory where a full inspect and fix can be made-- the best solution for both us and for 4Wheel wanting to "make it right"... yes, we have probably a 2 month wait on getting the camper, but very worthwhile if it hopefully solves the problem...

So good news is that the camper is returning to the factory for a fix--probably putting a new roof on... the factory rep Terry said that 2 things came to mind during our discussion: (1) one or more slats w/ tape to secure the roof may be defective, and/or (2) an thinned area of the aluminum roof...in either case, he assured us that he will repair or replace the roof, and test drive before it goes on the return truck to Tigard...

Thanks again for your replies... will definitely do a f/up when we get our Fleet back from the factory...

Is it possible that the roof latches are not tightened as snug as they could be? If there is any slack in them, it would allow air to creep in under the roof at speed and then cause it to rush out upon deceleration. Might be worth looking at. The straps can be tight enough to keep the roof closed but loose enough to allow some air to enter. Might be worth a look see.

Back
Top Bottom