New frig and battery

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1
Okay guys, my local rv guy (rvg) just installed my new Waco CR-110(e) coolmatic Dometic 2 way 3.8 frig and a new blue top Optomia Battery in my 05 Granby and I have a few questions. As my rvg said there are no outside controls on this and inside there is a temp control and a few LED lights, From what I gather when I plug it into shore power, everything is switched to the proper power setting and when I hit the power on/off switch it will do that too! I'm used to my old 3 way, so do I really do nothing, just sort of hope things do every thing automatically? My rvg said that it probably will get cooler faster than I'm used to, so that's the next question, just plug it in a forget it, sooo what setting do I put it on, from 1-7, maybe 3-5 and see what happens? What setting do you guys use? Reading the manual, is sort of interesting to mechanically challenged people like me, so that is why I asking these stupid questions.

No real battery problems, my solar controller still works and things seem to work and things are charging as they should. Okay, it cost about the same as going down to the four wheel factory (Stan again thanks for the help-need more things done and may have to come down) but it took allot longer to get my stuff here to the edge of the frontier, but I didn't have to face the central valley weather, but instead of taking a day to install everything, it took over 3 weeks, like they sent the wrong frig from the factory, they(the supplier) changed the the CR nomenclature to something else and we got a potable frig---as I sat there listening to it all. Once the stuff was here it took only 3 hours to install everything. Anyway, I'm ready to go, so any advise on what to watch would be appreciated. Can't wait to hook my new lap top-what new things are a head!

Smoke

I am guessing the 2 way frig is only gas and 110v?
You know that might not be so bad.
I have been trying to run on propane most of the time. Down the road presents a problem sometimes. Most of the time I switch off the 12v an hour or so from the days finish so the truck can give a better charge.
The propane stays lit most of the time on non freeway roads.
Good luck with your new fridge.
Frank

Frank

No propane now, just battery-a new world for me, just battery power and my new 100w solar panel. These new compressor frigs are a trip. for heat and the hot water use propane.. Like I say just read that thread I did a while back, when the propane did a cf, so that inspired me to go batt/soler all the way. How is the weather down there-looking for a place out of the wind and above ave. temps to test my new set up!

Smoke

I love my DC compressor fridge. I only run on batteries and have had no problems. 120 watt solar in a bag if staying more than a day. If driving everyday the truck keeps the batteries up (two AGM's from FWC). I set mine at just over 5 on the dial and everything just works. Cools down fast in a couple of hours.

One of the nice thing is a freezer that really works.
med_gallery_1903_734_196021.jpg

Woo hoo, no more alarms at 2:30 in the morning! Yup, just turn it on and let it run. It's 110 VAC on shore power, and 12 VDC when not.

We were just out to Cabin Lake, birding was great, and so was the ice for toddys.

Congrats on the new gear!

I haven't had my new Hawk out yet but I did some testing in the driveway with the 80L Waeco. Setting it to 4 kept the empty fridge at 38-39 degrees running on 12v. I'll have more real world usage info after the shake down trip this coming week.

Bill, I think that's great that you eat ice cream in your camper! I didn't even think of that...

Smokecreek1 said:
Frank

No propane now, just battery-a new world for me, just battery power and my new 100w solar panel. These new compressor frigs are a trip. for heat and the hot water use propane.. Like I say just read that thread I did a while back, when the propane did a cf, so that inspired me to go batt/soler all the way. How is the weather down there-looking for a place out of the wind and above ave. temps to test my new set up!

Smoke
That's cool. I have thought that if my 3 way (fridge,not human) takes a dump I would invest in the fridge model from Truckfridge.
I already have their portable and love it. I keep the portable in the back seat area of my AC Tundra and use the 3way as a freezer,and have a 45w panel.
I would have to increase the solar,I was thinking about adding a 60w panel that should give me enough power. As we don't stay in one place long or at least drive some to get into the animal areas every day. That would keep the battery up.
This is my second 3 way, first was in a hard sided camper early 80's had no problems with it and now my Bobcat with 3 way.I hope not to have problems like yours but one never knows.
They seem to be very reliable though.
Thanks for your info.
Frank

Smoke the weather here on Monterey Bay is very nice.Mild temps and not much wind.
There are some nice camp places south of here along the Big Sur coast.
Check with Sunman about some places.
There are some NF camps, one on the coast. Bill Harr went there a few weeks ago. Check out his report.
Hope you get to venture out. We have a nice area, not wild though and there are people here.
Enjoy Frank

Ice cream warning.

On a week long hunting trip last fall I noticed my Dove bars were melting into a rather delicious Dove milk shake. I contacted Waeco and they confirmed my suspicion that due to the cold weather (lows in the teens and highs in forties) the unit didn't cycle enough to keep things frozen. The frig temps were fine.

Milder temps and no issues.

I have had ice cream in my 3 way fridge. Most of the time when I go catfishing our sturgeon fishing I need the freezer for bait. The only time I have had the three way fail was when I let it run out of gas. So far I like the 3 way. I hope It continues to treat me right.

Well, plugged it in, the truck is more or less level in my driveway, turned the frig to 5 and I hear a hum, the green light is on and the battery lights so its charging. I'll put in some ice trays in the freezer later to test how fast this system cools down. so much space in the frig/freezer-don't want to over load (ice cream???). I plan to get out of here on Wednesday or so, head up 139 to the Modoc NF (check out Ash Creek first) and then head north again on 139, then east on gravel fs roads to Res C ad F and Big Sage Res, then north to Janes res; maybe even make the north Warners too. I want to check how the solar and the rest works in lot's of areas and bumpy roads and at the same time keep myself close enough to get out if the batteries or something starts to crash while I'm out there. Plan to be gone a week, maybe two, or maybe right back if I get caught in to many red flag warnings. Anyone planning to be out and about in that area, get a hold of me here, cell phones are pretty dead out there-new adventures. "Bob " is rearing to go-lot's of reservoirs for him to swim in out there.

Smoke

Yep' heading out. Bob was broke in on Janes Res as a young pup a year or two ago-maybe 5 years a go. My neighbor is splitting wood right now, yep my wood is in-not stacked but later, come on up, time to play! Hot , in Suzieville, no fires, life is wonderful, as long as I keep the cat from taking out Bob to the bars at night :love:!

Smoke

Smoke,
In answer to some of your questions...
The setting dial inside the fridge goes to zero. There is an audible click when you turn it to that. Let's say you are on a trip, the fridge is on and running off of your camper battery. You pull into an Oregon State Park with 120 electrical hookups and plug in the camper. The fridge will automatically switch to the 120 and not draw off of your battery. You unplug in the morning and head out - the fridge automatically switches back to 12 volt.

If we sit still for a few days, our fridge temp may vary up to 10 degrees due to ambient temps, coldest in the early morning and warmest in the afternoon. With it set at 7, it will easily freeze everything overnight. I try to keep things in the high 30's, so turn it to when going to bed and 7 when I get up. You will have to experiment a bit to figure out what settings work best for you.
Ted

Interesting Ted. I leave mine at one setting and it only varies about 3-4 degrees. Of course I haven't tried extreme heat yet. Kind of annoys me when its below freezing outside and I still hear mine kick on ;(

craig333 said:
Interesting Ted. I leave mine at one setting and it only varies about 3-4 degrees. Of course I haven't tried extreme heat yet. Kind of annoys me when its below freezing outside and I still hear mine kick on ;(
I cool mine and load it on 7 but turn it down to 5 or 6 once we depart depending on how hot it is. Don't normally touch the thermostat once we're underway.

I never see http://sportfridge.com/home on these sites.

Most likely due to price but I know a few baja guys that use them and swear on them.

The ones I have seen have worked flawlessly in serious Sea of Cortez style heat and humidity.
I am sure there ones with issues, though, and that is no small nut to put up on a fridge/freezer set up.

Back
Top Bottom