new FWC is home

clikrf8

fwc_3249.jpgJust returned from picking up our camper in Talent, OR. We met Beto in the Talent walmart parking lot an hour ahead of scheduled meetup of noon. We were done by 12:30 so headed north along Rogue River highway at a slower speed than freeway to check for any problems and if Ride-rite airbags/tires needed more air. We stopped at a gas station to add air to both. Ride was fine so we hit I5 to connect with Hwy 42 to the coast and Bandon. This part of I5 is curvy and a climb but we made it. there are passing lanes so we stayed with the semis some. We stayed overnight at Bullards Beach State Park north of Bandon where we got the fourth to the last spot. We drove out to Cape Arago then we went up the coast to overnight at a Good Sam's RV camp just past Depoe Bay for about $10 more than the state park. It was very quiet as people respected quiet hours. Very clean deluxe bath and close to beach where we found handfuls of agates. Beverly Beach was full so this was one of the few that had space. We spent the next morning at Fogerty Creek park where our agate beach was turned to more sand than rocks. Grabbed a few shots in the overcast morning. Headed north to stay over in Millersylvania State Park near Olympia where we got a a space due to last minute cancellation. We arrived home this morning after less than 3 hours on the road due to light traffic at 6am. I5 from Olympia through Everett can be a quagmire but Saturday AM was smooth sailing.

The camper shows good craftsmanship and is fairly simple to use. We did have one problem: the latch on the 3 way Dometic fridge was either not secured or one of us brushed up against it on exiting so the door opened and food fell out. Hubby didn't check closely but a salad dressing cap was shattered and the next time we stopped, there was balsamic vinaigrette everywhere. Then we lost battery power because we were not aware that the fridge uses lots of battery to run. And, maybe the dressing gave off an odor that made the propane/ CO detector stop the power? Not sure? Anyway, after he read more on the info sheets and pushed a few buttons, it worked again as there was no 110 power supply in Millersylvania.

Anyway, now that we are home, we will go down to Anacortes this Saturday to watch a band we like (on the guest list) and stay over in a park rather than drive home or stay in a motel.

During the last week of August, the wheat fields around the Palouse region are golden and the vistas of undulating fields of grain and rolling hills make for gorgeous photos, not to mention the huge machinery at work harvesting which is a favorite subject of mine. I have a map of places to go from last year's June photo workshop and have a local contact there. It is about a 5 hour trip over scenic Highway 20 to camp in the national forest near Winthrop. We met some really nice hosts in a hosted camp. And, hopefully we can get access to Ladder falls at the power station in Newhalem. Then, it is miles driving lonely back roads to the Palouse. I would like to stop at Palouse Falls, a gorgeous waterfall out in the middle of nowhere. Rattlesnakes frequesnt the place, even on the picnic grounds so we are investing in snake chaps and will be very careful.

After Labor Day we plan to head back to the Oregon Coast via 101 down Washington's coast for a week or so maybe exploring around Cape Kiwanda and vicinity. And Fogerty Creek, again. We may join Good Sam Club and stay at that same RV park for a few nights. There are so many places to see and photograph.

We are somewhat cramped but not too much. Our dinette works well. The bed is not actually that hard and a sleeping bag kept us warm. We may get 2 twin sized 2" memory foam pads. That heater does heat up the camper quickly.

Spent yesterday figuring out what to permanently store in camper. The go anywhere package was a big help. We have decided to use these super clamping tupperwares to store items in fridge. Maybe get some velcro to more securely fasten door to fridge. Or, see what you guys have figured out. And, the step stool is a pain so we will use a diamond plated step that secures to the trailer hitch. We pack light which is a good thing as storage is tight.

Gotta get ready to help a friend shoot a wedding today and will be on my feet all day so gotta go.

Attached is a photo of Fogerty Creek and a photo of our truck with camper. If I did everything right.View attachment 12470

Attachments

• fogerty_3246.jpg
    fogerty_3246.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 199
Enjoy the new camper. You may want to look at the REI 3.5 camping pads in place of memory foam. Roll up for storage and work great.

Bill in Stockton

Welcome to the club, Clikrf8 and congrats on the purchase of your new camper.
Kind of funny reading about some of the same learning experiences ( I was going to write 'mistakes' ;) ) we have had. We learned to NOT use the 12v option on the 3 way fridge, because it draws all the amps even while driving. And we've spilled the beans, literally, more than once on the fridge. If we lock the latch, it always stays closed.

You will definitely love this tool as basecamp for your photo adventures!

Cool deal, clikrf8! Congratulations.
smile.gif

...and what Lighthawk said about learning experiences, as I did.

clikrf8, sounds like that camper got a good home and will become a treasured workhorse for your photography and adventures. The "learning curve" is part of the adventure. You will do well, congrats and best of luck!

Hey everyone, thank-you for the welcomes and stories. This is a wonderful group to be a part of.

I drove the truck/camper out to a friend's house out in the county using back roads and it hardly felt like I had the camper on. Easy to turn on those twisting county roads and I had good vision even with the four jacks on. Stopping wasn't a problem but I wasn't going faster than 40mph.

We love our camper. It is a good thing we get along fairly well after 29 years of marriage as it can be a tight fit.

There are a few things yet to get: easier way to make coffee other than a small saucepan, pads of some type, a paper towel holder, just little stuff.

We have yet to check mileage but will try to get some numbers. Tacoma is a 4 cylinder, the largest they made in 1999 and has overdrive and some sort of power booster and an automatic transmission. We are coming up on 100k miles. We recently bought the 16" series E tires, new brakes all around, and had all fluids changed (more expensive than we thought), and installed the Ride-Rites. I think we are set.

On the photography front, I may have a cover photo of Shane Dwight on Blues Blast magazine and a photo of Shane in Guitar Player magazine. Keeping my hopes up. And, I may get paid. I did a CD cover for a band that promised t-shirts and CDs for the photo but have yet to get anything (CD came out in April) as "we don't have the money for photos" excuse is always the answer. No respect.

Next stop: Fidalgo Island and Anacortes.

I know that feeling.

I guess with the digital age, everyone is a photographer so we are a dime a dozen. It is an expensive hobby so I would like some compensation for time, equipment, education, etc. I don't smoke, drink, do drugs or gamble so I have to have one vice. Nor do I buy lots of shoes and clothes. At least, we have fun.

I guess with the digital age, everyone is a photographer so we are a dime a dozen. It is an expensive hobby so I would like some compensation for time, equipment, education, etc. I don't smoke, drink, do drugs or gamble so I have to have one vice. Nor do I buy lots of shoes and clothes. At least, we have fun.

Yup, same here.

If you want to make money as an artist you have to realize that the main part of the job is one of marketing,.. sorry to be a downer. Can't help it.. I'm an artist. ;/

Actually it doesn't bother me any more. My day job of graphic design and general work at a small printer keeps my creative bone tickled enough for the most part and the occasional personal project takes care of the balance.

Back
Top Bottom