New Hawk, Adding a 12 volt exterior plug?

dasadab

Advanced Member
Rather than drag a seperate 12v battery to supply the drive for my telescope, I was wondering if anyone had added an exterior 12v outlet? The draws less than 2 amps, usually about 1 amp.
Thanks!

Depending on where your batteries are located and where you want the DC power outlet, you should be able to find a good location for the power socket. For example, a relatively dry & protected location would be under the wing over the pickup box walls that can be easily found & reached to insert plug in the dark. If on the awning side, you might also consider replacing the awning lamp with a red LED bulb or installing a red LED strip near the outlet. Make that circuit switched and turn on the red LED strip when you power the socket.

Choose a power socket compatible with the power plug on your telescope or use one that is different from the rear wall solar receptacle so no one plugs a portable solar panel into the wrong spot. Be sure to include an inline fuse close to the battery.

A "no drilling through the camper" possibility is to modify the porch light to allow plugging in the telescope power cable to the porch light. It is already wired and switched. The lenses are readily available so mount a power socket in the lens & you're done.

Paul

I would opt for using the rear wall solar receptacle if your not going to use it for a solar panel, just make an adapter pigtail. Ron

nikonron said:
I would opt for using the rear wall solar receptacle if your not going to use it for a solar panel, just make an adapter pigtail. Ron
Interesting. I have the rear wall solar receptacle. I wasn't sure if I it outputs 12v or whether I will have to do any wiring. Thanks for the ideas.

If your receptacle is wired to the solar controller you shouldn't get any power out of it, but if it's not connected then you could just wire it to the battery (with a fuse) and use it as a power outlet.

I added just such for awning lights (warm white LED Xmas lights). I made a small plate that slid under the opening frame top piece on our LH rear side access door & uses its screws to hold it in place. Need the key to access it.

craig333 said:
I have one but its on the truck not the camper.
Craig...I missed that...camper is ON the truck..if you wire telescope to the outside trailer plug and your current needs are low...why not?

Phil

Ugh, need to wash the truck today. I should have added a little more information. I did not mean to imply one way is better than the other. In my case I have a relay right behind the outlet with heavy gauge wire run to it, primarily to supply power for my reverse lights but also powers the 12v outlet. Only reason I did it that way. Actually having one mounted a little higher on the camper would be more convenient.

Back
Top Bottom