New Hawk, but FWC forgot some roof sealant...what should I use?

HappyCamper

Hello All,

We picked up our Hawk in July and despite a few minor issues have been loving it!!! After a 30 day trip we deceided that the roof assist would be worth the investment and took it into woodland for the work. Yesterday I noticed that FWC removed all the sealant from the seam where one of the brackets mounts. The area is scraped and gouged, not a big deal, but they also forgot to reseal. Rather than waste another day driving & waiting I'd rather just reseal the area myself. My question is what do they use to seal the seams, solar pannels, etc?

Thanks in advance for your help :)!!!

I've used Geocel "Pro Flex RV" sealant (bought at a local RV service/supply dealer) for sealing screws through the roof of my FWC when installing my solar panels on the roof.
It's formulated specifically for RV external sealant application. Sticks to most anything..."even damp, slightly oily, or frozen surfaces" (The claims are all according to mfr, but it's worked well for me). Available in colors, clear, etc.

I've also heard good things about (and used) Pro Flex. FWC seems to use Silaprene on everything exterior.

You will probably have a hard time finding a single tube of Silaprene, so if you want to use it, the easiest way to get it is order a tube from FWC.

If they forgot to reseal, I'd ask them to send me a tube of Silaprene.

Thanks for the replys! I was a Camping World today trying to figure out what the heck to use (didn't have any of the recommend products) and finally decided I like the idea about asking fwc to send me a tube. Camper has already been to Woodland twice and the $100 in gas and lost time just isn't something I'm excited about. Hopefully they'll send me some goop or have someone in Auburn who can make the repair.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:19321]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:19322]

Attachments

• untitled (3 of 3).jpg
    untitled (3 of 3).jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 157
  • untitled (2 of 3).jpg
    untitled (2 of 3).jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 163
Brand spankin new Hawk shell. Turns out they use silaprene and are going to send me a tube :).

I've used the silaprene product (tube from FWC) for roof repairs. Good stuff. Ours was white in color.

Pro tip: If you have a partial tube left, then use electrical tape to seal the tip of the caulking tube for future use. Start wrapping in the middle of the nozzle, then spiral out to end of tip, and fold on itself to create an airtight seal; it will stay useable for other repairs for at least six months.

Lighthawk said:
I've used the silaprene product (tube from FWC) for roof repairs. Good stuff. Ours was white in color.

Pro tip: If you have a partial tube left, then use electrical tape to seal the tip of the caulking tube for future use. Start wrapping in the middle of the nozzle, then spiral out to end of tip, and fold on itself to create an airtight seal; it will stay useable for other repairs for at least six months.
You can also jab the tip into wax like a toilet bowl wax seal a couple of time. It will last until you need it next. The wax just squeezes out when you want to use it.

Back
Top Bottom