New Hawk in Nest

CPT Davenport

El Pescador
A fine day indeed! Picked up my camper yesterday from Woodland FWC. I was very surprised that she weighed in at only 977lb. The super springs took almost all the load no problem. Air bags took out any sag and sway bar worked awesome! I have no comparison to driving without these mods, but I was able to fly back over hwy 17 (super hilly and winding) going 60mph and averaged 17mpg! No issues with power, braking or feeling top heavy at all. Heading to the lake in the foothills today so I'll see has she rides with some camping stuff on board (I'm left with roughly 1000lbs of payload for people and gear). I'm quite confident that towing my Klamath tinny will be no problem. Very impressed on how my Chevy 1500 has stepped up the the challenge.

Attachments

• IMG_1481.jpg
    IMG_1481.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1480.jpg
    IMG_1480.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1483.jpg
    IMG_1483.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1484.jpg
    IMG_1484.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 103
i have a similar setup. 2015 gmc 1500, but no airbags etc. stock. 2018 atc shell.
i get around 17mpg on the freeway and 2 lane roads. very happy with the truck and camper setup.
i measured the bed this time when i put the camper on, and i think it went down maybe 1.5" with camper at the back. hardly anything at the front.

I couldn't even wait 24 hours to get her up to the mountains! Just got home from a shake down, strike mission. Fully loaded with water, propane, food, fuel, 3 people, kayaks and tons of gear and beer :) Handled it all with no problem and a smile. With the wet weight, I did need to look ahead and mind my braking to avoid any panic stops. That said, I had a couple donkeys cut me off and she performed well. Fuel consumption went down to 16mpg but that was with quite a bit of off road in 4H and 4L. Super pleased and the whole set up and she is even more epic than I ever dreamed. Wife cant wait to go again next weekend! She says she felt like a Queen. I did lower the tire pressure to 55 all the way around and it made a big difference in ride quality. Lower pressure meant no more rattling dash when we hit pot holes and uneven pavement.

Good stuff!

Attachments

• IMG_1486.jpg
    IMG_1486.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1492.jpg
    IMG_1492.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1499.jpg
    IMG_1499.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 75
Congrats ! great to feel the FWC feeling. Great set top and you picked a perfect spot to start the camping life. Great shot kayak to campsite.

Lighthawk said:
Congrats on the new rig! That's great mileage.
Did you tow the kayak?
We run the Oru folding kayaks. Had them on the floor of the camper for travel. They fold up super small and open up to a 9'8'' boat. 2 of them only weigh 40 lbs.

Back
Top Bottom