New Hawk Owner need assistance :(

XJINTX said:
... keep the info coming...

The recent 'School Me On Inverters' thread is a good read if you've not had a chance to see it yet.

Also- On your GFI issue, I'd also want to test the shorepower outlet, the extension cord and the outlets in the camper with a tester like this one from Home Depot (there are several brands of them, just be sure to get one with the GFCI test button for those times you want to test GFCI functionality independent of the TEST button on the receptacle). (I keep one on my extension cord to remind me to test shorepower before plugging in.)

Old Crow thanks for that link... good read. I will forego the inverter and use the Truck inverter to charge if / when driving. I will also get the tester today... weird the one listed says discontinued but I found on Amazon :)

OK another, maybe stupid, question? On another board there is a good discussion on small Generators. I have a question for any FWC owners with AC or anyone else knowledgeable. Here in TX, while off grid, my wife and I may want some AC. So I'm looking for a small quiet 2000 watt generator. Right now I'm debating the Honda or Yamaha.
A member on the other forum said he had a 2000 W and it was not enough to run his AC? I posted a question for him there for specifics on his AC and and what would be required.

Would anybody here know if a 2000W is enough for my AC unit. Is there a way of looking at unit and knowing ? I looked and don't see anything. If no answer here I will contact FWC. as I'd hate to buy the 2000 and it not be enough :(

It depends on the size of your AC. Typically, the units in small pop ups can be powered by a 2000w generator. Anything bigger would be really heavy and hard to store. My TT has a 13,500 BTU AC that requires at least a 2800 watt generator.

Your best bet is to talk to FWC. You can also look at the specs on your AC, and calculate the load it will place on the genny. My guess is a 2000 watt will be fine.

BTW, I prefer the Yamaha generators, but I think they are equally good. When I bought, the Hondas didn't have fuel shutoff valves.

My Honda 2000 was not enough to run my 2000w AC in my previous trailer. You have to keep in mind that the 2000 rating on the Honda is for peak power, not sustained load. I seem to recall sustained load is around 1600w. So no, it wouldn't run mine.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Most campers in the FWC size are typically fitted with about a 5,000 BTU unit like this one below which I had in my Moby1 XTR.

My Honda eu2000i (below) powered it just fine.

Attachments

• Honda gen.jpg
    Honda gen.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 143
  • Screen Shot 2016-01-31 at 4.07.27 AM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-01-31 at 4.07.27 AM copy.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 146
Yes the AC is 5000 BTU so I'm going to get the Yamaha 2000 right now... no reason I won't get the Honda just personal preference. I am going to look at the pros and cons of the remote start. The only con I see right now is the added cost unless I'm missing something?

Check into it but, I think the Yamahas require elevation when using the extended run fuel tanks as opposed to the Honda not needing the tank elevated. That was a big factor for me since I'd run the gen. away from my rig requiring another bulky item of gear (small table or box).

If all you need is a few hours run time its not an issue but staying cool overnight, 6 hrs +, is mandatory in Texas. The gen.. fuel tank probably wont last through a typical nights sleep at full throttle ... which is needed for a 5,000 BTU rig. Getting up in the middle of the night to muck with a fire hazard would suck.

The Honda does not have a fuel shut off but it does have a fuel drain. I use ethanol free gas with stabil in it. If I am not going to run it for the next month I drain it. I have never had any trouble. I also run a fuel extender on mine too. I have a 6 gal boat tank that I use for that. I can also drop it in any gas tank even my ATV or motorcycle tank.

Back
Top Bottom