New Hawk owner with a few questions

PACman

Hello! I have been following this forum for sometime while researching and then, ultimately, purchasing a new Hawk. I have learned a great deal from this forum and mostly just wanted to introduce myself. I bought a new, well-equipped Hawk with front dinette, cassette toilet, solar, and the shower options. I guess we will see if I over did it with the options or not...I'll keep you all posted. I plan to do a great deal of camping with my 2 year old boy so wanted to have a few more comfort items. We did a breakout run to the San Rafael Swell this weekend and we already love the camper! I attached a couple of pics (I think) from the weekend. Also, I did have couple of questions for you all:

1. I picked up quite a few bugs on the front, any tips/pointers on cleaning this? Pressure washer seems ill-advised. Just old-fashioned elbow grease? Any cleaner recommendations?

2. Best, light-weight rack for up top (have tracks only now)?

3. Any recommendations on good camping spots close to SLC, Ut?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• srb.JPG
    srb.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 275
  • the wedge.JPG
    the wedge.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 265
  • the wedge1.JPG
    the wedge1.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 238
While I've never tried it, I've thought about putting some Saran wrap over the front for the drive. Removing upon return. Scrubbing them off with a brush gets old!

I've always wanted to try something like spraying it with pam but I only think of that after its covered in bugs.

Tried stretch wrap even shrinking it with heat gun .... waaaay too noisy. Yanked it off after 10 miles.
For now, I'm just going to keep it waxed. In the future, I'm going to fab a fiberglass wedge .... I have the material just haven't found the time.

Attachments

• _DSC6083.jpg
    _DSC6083.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 136
Attached a Yakima wind deflector which only helped to reduce bugs behind the cab. It did however reduce the buffeting effect when semi trucks passed while traveling in the opposite direction. I believe the concept would work if it were higher.

Also, what are you using for a step? I purchased a step from etrailer.com then modified it slightly by attaching some boards to increase the size of each step. It attaches to the hitch and I store it inside when traveling. I would like to design one that folds up so I can leave it on the truck.

Also, just for another tip. I took the backup camera off the tailgate, lengthened the wiring and attached it above the back door so the image appears on my dash when I'm in reverse. I'm sure there are better solutions but it works for now.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Here is the photo of the backup camera.

Attachments

• IMG_6344.JPG
    IMG_6344.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 155
A friend from NH turned me on to used dryer sheets....just save them when you do laundry, dampen with water (not wringing wet) and rub the bugs off. Works like magic and no elbow grease needed! It seems to leave a nice protective coat behind also.

Stange as it sounds... first clean... then apply carnauba paste wax ... then a light spray on pledge... don't wipe... when you get home the bugs will wipe off. then re-aply Pledge wax.... paste wax once every few months.
I discovered this as a motorcycle owner for the fairing...bug covered... it has worked for me.

Thanks everyone for the advice! larryqp, do the dryer sheets seem to scratch the finish? The carnauba wax is also intriguing. Thought abt a clear bra but I don't think it would really help with cleaning and is costly.

As far as the rack goes, I'd just suggest Yakima parts, purchased via a retailer when they do their usual 20% sales. I researched buying the bits on my own vs. buying from FWC, and there wasn't much, if any, savings by me buying them all on my own. FWC does include locks which I wouldn't have bought, since I need a 5' ladder to access mine on my F350, but they do provide some additional security to those things coming off. My racks are only one when I load boats, which is maybe 10% of the time.

buckland said:
Stange as it sounds... first clean... then apply carnauba paste wax ... then a light spray on pledge... don't wipe... when you get home the bugs will wipe off. then re-aply Pledge wax.... paste wax once every few months.
I discovered this as a motorcycle owner for the fairing...bug covered... it has worked for me.
do you rub down the carnauba? Wonder if any other car wax left unrubbed would do the same?

Vic the first step of carnauba (auto past wax will do) is to seal the paint surface... the el-cheapo pseudo wax "pledge" actually has silicone and other stuff that is actually bad for wood... but it is what makes the surface slick enough to wipe off the bugs.... So yes buff the paste wax to a nice hard surface then the pledge semi bonds with it..... try half there front and compare there difference next trip.
It is important to start with a clean surface.

rltports said:
Attached a Yakima wind deflector which only helped to reduce bugs behind the cab. It did however reduce the buffeting effect when semi trucks passed while traveling in the opposite direction. I believe the concept would work if it were higher.

Also, what are you using for a step? I purchased a step from etrailer.com then modified it slightly by attaching some boards to increase the size of each step. It attaches to the hitch and I store it inside when traveling. I would like to design one that folds up so I can leave it on the truck.

Also, just for another tip. I took the backup camera off the tailgate, lengthened the wiring and attached it above the back door so the image appears on my dash when I'm in reverse. I'm sure there are better solutions but it works for now.

attachicon.gif
FullSizeRender.jpg
Hi, Rltports.

I have the same situation. I just purchased a new frontier that has a nice backup camera and in dash monitor. Unfortunately the camera is installed in the tailgate so I have to do something like you did. I think that is a great solution.

Could you give me some more details on how you extended the wiring and how you mounted the camera on the camper?

Thanks

Mike

I must be living in a bubble....all this discussion about how to clean off bugs from a vehicle/camper or how to prevent them from needing to be cleaned off...really?

Sorry but this just seems like an insignificant issue. Who here has not cleaned bugs off of their vehicle? Folks it ain't no big deal. Don't do a Phil and overthink it. :D

Phil

Back up camera... best option is to buy from the Truck company the original from the tailgate (I did) it comes with the cord and plug. I just made a small L bracket and attached it to the bottom of the camper rear below door...... so all you do is take off the tailgate and plug in the camper one in same socket....I hate wiring!

Hi PACman congrats on the camper.
There are a couple products on the market, that will help to dissolve bugs. Have had mixed results, I also tried the hydrogen peroxide it did not work as well as the bug off that I got from auto parts. I agree with post above about cleaning and keeping waxed, I have used furniture polish on my motorcycle plastic parts,after washing, and the bugs came off easier.

http://www.target.com/p/rain-x-pre-wash-gel-bug-tar-16oz/-/A-16792076

Can't help with other two item.
Russ

Cheesecloth or the perforated towels sold at car parts stores for this very purpose work well for me. Been using them for years on front bumpers and grills. Cuts down the elbow grease needed. I follow with a good spray on wax-I like Eagle One Nanowax.

Back
Top Bottom