New Hawk owner with a few questions

Wallowa said:
I must be living in a bubble....all this discussion about how to clean off bugs from a vehicle/camper or how to prevent them from needing to be cleaned off...really?

Sorry but this just seems like an insignificant issue. Who here has not cleaned bugs off of their vehicle? Folks it ain't no big deal. Don't do a Phil and overthink it. :D

Phil
I wear the bugs like a badge of honour - it means I am doing stuff and I have been places with my camper. When there is no bugs on my camper it means I have been stuck at work :(

Yes, Badge of honor I like that. I just returned from a trip and I am covered with love bugs. Two people made comments about that and said "yep life on the road living the dream" :D

Santiam Camper said:
Hi, Rltports.

I have the same situation. I just purchased a new frontier that has a nice backup camera and in dash monitor. Unfortunately the camera is installed in the tailgate so I have to do something like you did. I think that is a great solution.

Could you give me some more details on how you extended the wiring and how you mounted the camera on the camper?

Thanks

Mike
Hey Mike. Sorry for the late response. I've been busy with a new grandson. For the wiring, I just extend the wiring by splicing extra wire then some electrical tape and added some plastic wire mesh I picked up at the local hardware store. For mounting the camera on the camper, I built a small housing to mount the camera in then attached it to the camper with 3M Dual Lock velcro material. The part number is SJ3560. Google it and you should find choices for rolls or single strips. I love the stuff as it is very powerful. I I was to do it over again, I would have added a quick attachment of some type in the splice so that I could disconnect the camera if I was concerned about theft. So far so good. Hopefully that answered your question. Let me know if you need more info.

I had to chuckle when you asked for possible camping suggestions near Salt Lake City. Surely, you're kidding? Your area has the most fabulous places to go than any other part of the USA. Guess it is a question of what you mean by "close to" SLC. When we were in Utah last month, we did our best to avoid SLC due to the incredible growth and freeways. But, the rest of Utah is fantastic. We enjoyed your photos. If I had any recommendations it would be to avoid national parks. Too many people and Utah has sooooo many other places to explore.

In terms of camping near slc, you really can't beat the Uinta mountains, about an hour east of downtown. Once the road opens, which should be pretty soon, there's an almost overwhelming amount of camping (both free dispersed and paid, developed) along mirror lake highway and the surrounding service roads. The area off mirror lake hwy is filled with gorgeous hiking trails and alpine lakes full wild trout if fishing is your thing.

I lived in and around SLC for a few years, and the Uintas were my special place where I'd go to escape the crowds of the wasatch, and cool down, as the mountains are usually around 20 degrees cooler than salt lake valley.

Cheers!

When I recently returned to California from a multi-state trip the agricultural inspector looked up and the front of my camper and made me stop then asked the usual "how long where you gone" and "where had I been". I have to admit that it was so thick you could hardly see the actual paint color. After two washes I gave up until the next trip.

Back
Top Bottom