New Hawk Shell/New Member

Area45

Advanced Member
Hi all,

I'd like to introduce myself to the group. Name is Errin or Area45 on the social media. I've been lurking here and EP for a few years. We just recently picked up a Hawk Shell Model for our Chevy 2500. We currently have a trailer that we use when we need more amenities. The FWC is for day trips and when I go out solo and don't need all the bells and whistles.

Pics are here.

We ordered a shell with a side dinette, awning, Yakima tracks, solar wiring, rear wall steps, flood lights and exterior LED lighting. I've already sewn up some window covers and added a porta-potti. Yeti cooler will handle the food storage for now.

Plan to install some L-Track in the near future as the next mod. Still need to determine how much I need and place my order.

First question though. When I remove the shell from the truck and it's on the stands, can I get inside and work in there? Should it be lowered to the ground, or placed on something?

Edit--Ok second question is how do I get Flickr photos to appear in my post?

I always put mine on a wood box I built for stability, and lower it a bit. Saw horses or the like would also assure that you don't sway around while in there. Some people leave it up high on the jacks but I can't imagine it does any good to the frame near the mount points. I have no proof of any damage other than pure common sense.

Welcome to WTW, nice looking camper. Yes you should support the floor, two X's made out of plywood is the quick and easy way. I put mine on a dolly when off the truck.

For photos use the Image Icon and past the Image URL of your photo. I just looked and for some reason Flicker does not have a URL?? Did a quick search and looks like Flicker requires you to link back to Flicker. Use the Galley on this site it works great.

Bill

Area45 said:

Welcome to WTW, Errin.

I'm not personally familiar with using Flickr...but following your link I see how Flikr intends you to do it:
After clicking on the specific image you want to post here, click on the "Share This Photo" icon, and then click on the BBCode option. See the screenshot below:

gallery_2431_332_64176.jpg

I can't access the BBCode, "sharing is restricted" -- presumably because it's not mine, but you should be able to. Copy it.
Then paste it directly into your WTW post text and it should appear when you make the post. That's it!
Try it, and get back to me (or ask help from others) if you have any questions. :)

FWIW: The WTW Galleries used to provide a BBCode, as Flikr does, which makes it easier than other approaches as you don't need to do any other steps -- just copy it and paste it into your WTW text. But when WTW updated the software the WTW Galleries lost the handy BBCode...and now it requires several steps to do the same thing.

Area45 said:
First question though. When I remove the shell from the truck and it's on the stands, can I get inside and work in there? Should it be lowered to the ground, or placed on something?
FWC has said that the floor isn't intended to support weight without being on a hard surface (normally your truck bed).
That said, before I new that it was wrong, I have stood in my camper while it was suspended from the jacks, and nothing bad happened. But now that i know, I'm avoiding that.
My camper is on the truck 99% of the time, so I haven't had to come up with a regular way to support the floor when off the truck. The suggestions given sound good, though.

Area45 said:
Hi all,

I'd like to introduce myself to the group. Name is Errin or Area45 on the social media. I've been lurking here and EP for a few years. We just recently picked up a Hawk Shell Model for our Chevy 2500. We currently have a trailer that we use when we need more amenities. The FWC is for day trips and when I go out solo and don't need all the bells and whistles.

Pics are here.

To post from Flickr, bring up your image in 'view all sizes'. Screen shot 2014-05-30 at 8.49.29 PM.png You can do that by right clicking on the image after you click on the thumbnail. Select the size you want, then right click on it. You should see an option that says something like 'copy image address' ... Select that. Screen shot 2014-05-30 at 8.49.46 PM.png

In the WTW comment, click on the image icon Screen shot 2014-05-30 at 8.42.34 PM.png, then paste the address into the dialog box. Screen shot 2014-05-30 at 8.43.02 PM.png

You're then good to go.

14286207006_a3f6ef36ee_b.jpg

Thanks all! I updated the original post with pictures. I ended up using the BBcode link for the url. Thanks MarkBC for the tip. I was uploading them to Smugmug as a backup so now I don't have to do that extra step.

Thanks for the info about working on the shell while off the truck. I have a couple sawhorses, so between those and the corner jacks I should be fine.

Here's another question. I'd like to install some L-Track on the side of the shell, to secure bins with. Ideally I'd just use some self-tapping screws directly into the aluminum frame. Is there a way to determine where the aluminum is without removing the panels? My shell was ordered with the standard build frame, not the shell model frame. The panels are secured with a screw that has a square head. Never seen one of those before.

You can get square head screws at HomeDepot. I just took the top screws out and pulled the panel back enough to mark with a pencil where the alum frames were. Put them right back in. If the "L" frame is gong to cover the panel you could use an ice pick to find the alum frames, I did this in some areas where I knew the holes would be covered. Great idea having the shell made on standard build frame. This will save you a lot of work if you decide to build out the inside at a later time.

Bill
My build here.

I do some sewing on my own, so I didn't want to pay for the window covers. A friend had gifted me a leftover roll of vinyl backed fabric so I knew I had enough material. Cost of the window covers was only about $7 for a grommet kit and $3 for some hangers. They are very simple but work great. I sewed them up and installed them the 2 days before we left for Mariposa and a day trip to Yosemite.

14314204755_2f249e5f87.jpg

14312360352_d63bf95ec9.jpg

Using the flood lights to install the grommets.

14312718022_e1c04c5271.jpg

14314548075_c80ae61005.jpg

Each cover has an adjustable strap to roll it up. The side window has two because it's longer. This pic shows one in the up and one in the down position.

14314558785_d5b3a53609.jpg

billharr said:
You can get square head screws at HomeDepot. I just took the top screws out and pulled the panel back enough to mark with a pencil where the alum frames were. Put them right back in. If the "L" frame is gong to cover the panel you could use an ice pick to find the alum frames, I did this in some areas where I knew the holes would be covered. Great idea having the shell made on standard build frame. This will save you a lot of work if you decide to build out the inside at a later time.

Bill
My build here.
Thanks Bill. I have to thank Jason from American RV and the rep from FWC (forgot his name) that told me about the standard build when I placed my order at the show. I didn't know it was an option. Or why even. Seemed like a good idea for the future though, either for myself or a future owner should there be a need or want for a more traditional build out.

[
14192774320_44fab1ba8d.jpg

Got the truck out for it's first real trip this weekend. Drove out to Death Valley and camped up at Mahogany Flat. My friend and I hiked up to Telescope Peak on Saturday.

Shell worked out great, but there is something wrong with one of the interior LED lights. I need to take a look at it and see if it's something simple or if I need to take it in. I used a Luminaid as my interior light which was less harsh and I think I'll keep using that. We tracked a lot of dirt in so I need to clean it out and then add a matt or something to leave the shoes outside. Ton of fun though.

Back
Top Bottom