New kayak on Union Lake

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Two nights at Union Lake and the first use of out new inflatable kayak.
We had a great time the smoke hadn't moved in very much while we were there,and we had the lake to ourselves.
Frank

New kayak at Union Lake
Frank, the link didn't work for me. Here is a corrected one: New Kayak at Union Lake

Kayak looks great and a nice camping spot too. Thanks for posting the report.

I haven't been to Union lake in 20 years. The lakes were beautiful, but he open camping was deplorable. There was garbage and human waste everywhere. People rip on the government, but the forest service often needs to step in and save an area from those same people. Maybe I'll go back and check out the campground. At least I won't have to worry about contracting who knows what from coming in contact with the dirt.

Espresso said:
I haven't been to Union lake in 20 years. The lakes were beautiful, but he open camping was deplorable. There was garbage and human waste everywhere. People rip on the government, but the forest service often needs to step in and save an area from those same people. Maybe I'll go back and check out the campground. At least I won't have to worry about contracting who knows what from coming in contact with the dirt.
I have been camping in this area since 1965, first they cut the new road to Spicers, then they pave the damn thing. Now they have put up campsites at Union and the scum campers have arrived. I belong to the Stockton Motorcycle Club and they have been camping at duck creak about 1 mile from Union down the ORV trail that now is not an ORV trail as you need to have a street licensed vehicle. I scum are now walking down to camp and shitting everywhere and not even digging a hole :mad:

We have been towing an Outhouse in for years.
See Video.

I take my camper down this same road.

Hell they even have a parking limit in places around Union.

598746_568605666514271_1884910247_n.jpg

ski3pin said:
I've corrected in link in the first post
Link worked. Thanks Admin Team! ;)

Nice photos, Frank.
I like the looks of the inflatable, and love the stowability. What brand did you get?
Compared to us with two kayaks on the roof, you have a much better profile, yet still can put two people on the water.

We have focused on Loon Lake, but should check out Union Valley next time.
It also appears the crowds have diminished now that school is back in session.

Pretty area. I should put that on my already over-crowded "places to check out" map.

It seems like the FS doesn't get it. The pattern is pretty repetitive and obvious. They make a place easier to get to "so more people can enjoy it" and what they get are more people who haven't a clue or don't care. What's that saying about the collective IQ of a crowd decreasing with its size? There's a corollary here. So they're a victim of their own success and unfortunately those who were able to get there before the FS "improved" it are the ones who pay the price for those "improvements" when the FS decides that they can't maintain those improvements and closes the whole thing.

Or maybe that is their ultimate goal, to close it all?

You were at union res? I was at Spicer Utica area Monday and the smoke was so thick you couldn't see across the lake. No one but the campground hosts around. I bailed no way was I going to kayak or do the jeep trail in those conditions.

craig333 said:
You were at union res? I was at Spicer Utica area Monday and the smoke was so thick you couldn't see across the lake. No one but the campground hosts around. I bailed no way was I going to kayak or do the jeep trail in those conditions.
Craig we were at Union last week 19th/20th, before the fire got going.There was only a small amount of smoke to the west.It hadn't gotten to us by the time we left.
I am sure that Spicer just filled with smoke,being so open and just over the hill from the fire.
Hope the rest of your trip goes well.
Frank

Espresso said:
The forest service has done a great job of cleaning up the area.I think they got some money from the company who operates the dams and generating units.
We have been going there for about 30 years mostly to canoe the lake.Most of the time there weren't very many people and the garbage really not a problem. What was happening was campers were using the lake shore to camp ,and just eroding the whole area.
I am glad to see the campsites.It makes the area useable,and with NO WATER it keeps some folks away.
You should give the area a try again.Don't know when the gate gets closed,I would think some time late Oct early Nov,or first snow.
There is also a vault toilet now at each campground.
Frank

ntsqd said:
Pretty area. I should put that on my already over-crowded "places to check out" map.

It seems like the FS doesn't get it. The pattern is pretty repetitive and obvious. They make a place easier to get to "so more people can enjoy it" and what they get are more people who haven't a clue or don't care. What's that saying about the collective IQ of a crowd decreasing with its size? There's a corollary here. So they're a victim of their own success and unfortunately those who were able to get there before the FS "improved" it are the ones who pay the price for those "improvements" when the FS decides that they can't maintain those improvements and closes the whole thing.

Or maybe that is their ultimate goal, to close it all?
This improvement was needed as the place had no campsites and people were abusing the area already.They were camping right on the lake shore and eroding it,there wasn't as much of a garbage problem as you would think.It is pack in pack out.I think when a dumpster is located at some of these remote sites that's when the trash problem begins.When the trash bin gets full instead of taking the trash home it just gets piled up next to the bin.Figuring that Smokie the Bear or Woodize the Owl or the trash man will pick it up.Doesn't work that way.
These campgrounds now have a way to be checked and the problems might be controlled better.Also they have installed two more vault toilets,so campers don't have to crap on the ground and having it end up in the lake.
This is a nice area and in the 30 years I have been using it it has really stayed fairly nice.Sure it gets use but that's to be expected.
Next time you get to the area it might be worth a check out.
Frank

Good info. It is definitely on my list for a late Sept, early Oct visit. Lake Alpine is scenic, but I prefer the smaller lakes.

Back
Top Bottom