New Member Introduction

Costeno

Greetings everyone. I just discovered this killer web site and I had to join. I have a 2006 Tundra 4x4 that I modified to carry a Kestral FWC. My wife and I travel all over California and Baja. We have taken our rig to the tip twice and have done lots of other deep Baja trips surfing, fishing and diving. We have travelled an estimated 1200 miles on the dirt. We plan on doing lots more. I am getting lots of good ideas reading the old posts. I look forward to learning more about the other members and their ideas.
Thanks,
Costa

Attachments

• DSCF0029.jpg
    DSCF0029.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 377
  • DSCF0010.jpg
    DSCF0010.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 401
  • DSCF0064.jpg
    DSCF0064.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 393
Welcome to the forum

You found the right place. There are a lot of creative and friendly people here. I think you'll enjoy your time here, I know I do.

welcome to costeno welcome to the forum

fwc.toyo,wife, baja,cal desert ,you are at he right spot ,we all love baja pictures and stories,plus you will find many new ideas and places to go! drive slow and enjoy 'its the journey"

Welcome Costeno ...

Their is a wealth of info. on this site as well as very friendly and knowledgeable people willing to extend their know how. It's the best site around.

Marc

Welcome...

Costeno,
Welcome to the group. My wife and I are big fans of Mexico also.
Don't do much in Baja any more but do love the country.
Brian in NM

Welcome

Costa, welcome! Always looking for new ideas and GREAT photos. There is too much here to read in just one day...stick around and join the fun...

captainkettel...:D

Welcome

I just joined recently, too. Your photos remind me of how I miss Baja and fun surf trips. We have 2 youngsters and decided to steer clear for a while with all the riff-raff going on down there, but will keep the hope up. Will throw you a shaka if I see you in North County. Go Chargers!

Marc

Welcome!

Costeno, welcome. I'm sort of a new guy to this site also, and it has been very helpful to me. I'm sure you'll find some great ideas here.

awesome rig, welcome! how bout' some info on the tundra/kestral and more pics :D! really like those wheels :), great looking truck/camper combo! thanks for posting!

Thanks for the Welcome!

Thanks to all the active members for their warm welcomes.

For anyone interested in doing the old style tundra and kestral combo I am very happy with the suspension set up I modified. I have Donahoe coilovers in the front dialed to give 2.5 inches of lift combined with the differential drop spacers. For the rear, I added an extra heavy duty leaf spring and put on the firestone airbags. I also changed out all the stock rubber bushings in the steering rack with a urethane set. I put on a set of 16" American Wheel teflon coated mojave wheels with 285/75 BFG AT's. I even got the big tire on a 16" rim stashed under the bed in the spare well.

The airbag set up seems to be working well, I just have to be careful not to overload the camper when I am packing (too much fishing and dive gear!) I did however break the airbag ubolts doing the East road into Scorps last summer. I knew they were vulnerable so I carried an extra set.

Do any of you who have the airbags carry an extra bag? It would be a real buzz kill popping one in a remote place.

Thanks again for the warm welcome,
Costa

American Racing Mojave with Teflon finish

Those are some of the best wheels I have seen. If they made those in the size I wanted for my Silverado I probably would have a set on now. Oh well.

As far as the u-bolts, you might go to a spring shop - some place that works on motor homes and big rigs - they can probably set you up with a set of custom made grade 8 u-bolts and nuts for not much money. There's a great shop in Santa Maria - Central Coast Spring.

Also, lots of guys here have air bags and I'm sure they'll chime in.

Believe me, I know. Oh how I wanted those rims to fit.

EdoHart
they make those rims in 17x8, 17x9 and 18x9.

The problem was the offset. The Mojave's would have stuck out too far. I ended up buying some Hummer H2 wheels off e-bay that look very nice on my truck. Not as good as the Mojave's would have looked, but good enough, and at a fraction of the price.

Costeno,
Sweet set up for sure...you gettin any rub from those 285's or did the lift eliminate that issue? Just curious.

Sunman,
Just a tad of frame rub at full hard over turn. Really very little. Only when the camper is heavy. As mentioned by Ed, the offset is important because it allows the tire to clear the upper A arm. No interference on the fenders at all.
Costa

Back
Top Bottom