New Member Introduction

Sweet looking set up Costeno....something about an FWC that just screams for Baja (especially on a Toyota:D)..
Welcome to the board..

before organizing some spare hardware, I had to go look at the Firestone ride right set up on my 2002 Tundra after your post..didn't see any u bolts on the bracket top or bottom.?.mine were through bolted to the frame on top, and straight bolted on bottom...trying to figure out what the week point was in your suspension failure as I am running similar gear..

That east road does suck....it is beautiful country though..

Tomas,
You are correct. I actually mis spoke. There are flat bar clamps that are bolted together. I sheared one of those bolts. Luckily, the lower bar was dangling down and I didn't lose it. I replaced those bolts with some grade 8 bolts.
Thanks for the more exact discription,
Costa

Thanks for the clarification there Costa..Did it look like an impact broke the bolt??(ie, rock or road hazard) or pressure and torque from bombing?

I really dig your rig..which mfg leaf spring pack did you go with?? I would like to think of the air bags as luxury, and be able to continue(slower) without in case of failure.

Thanks for the clarification there Costa..Did it look like an impact broke the bolt??(ie, rock or road hazard) or pressure and torque from bombing?

I really dig your rig..which mfg leaf spring pack did you go with?? I would like to think of the air bags as luxury, and be able to continue(slower) without in case of failure.

TT, for what its worth, i have heard great things about deaver and alcan spring packs. i am pretty sure they will make you custom packs for your specific applications. i went with old man emu, they have been in the business for a long time, especially with toyota, they were available locally and provided the lift and support i was after...hijack over.

Tomas,
I went with the thicker add a leaf kit from Off Road Warehouse. I think this is locally made by National Spring. It is a little thicker than the stock leafs and definately makes the rear stiffer. Sometimes too stiff with no load on the truck. But after all, it is a truck. I sometimes get spoiled by the Tundra's "car like" ride.
I considered the deaver pack offered by Wheeler's Off Road but that actually decreases load carrying ability.
The add a leaf and air bag combo makes such a big difference (especially when I go off road) that I am really afraid of losing a bag. I can't imagine crawling around the roads we drive down in Baja with out the bags.

With regards to the broken bolts. We were crawling over some pretty large washouts and the rear suspension was definately getting a work out. I think it just torqued the bolt head off?!
This over articulation is what scares me about the bags. I hope I never pull a bag apart.
One other thing I did to keep the bags safe was to place alot of chafe guard around the hoses leading back to the air fittings (my license plate screws). These hoses are under constant pressure from the bag. If the hose chafed through, you would lose the bag.
Hope this helps,
Costa

My bolts broke, too

Not sure if the diagnosis would be the same for The toyota, but I determined the problem on my 98 f150 to be the leaf springs fanning out and actually making excessive contact with the bolts when offroading. They're really close to each other to begin with. I had spring pack torqued really good since and so far, so good. Firestone gave me a whole new set of hardware (is that a good sign?). When mine broke, the steel plate (still attached with 1 bolt) punctured the bag and did a number on the tire's sidewall. Yikes. Spring clips? I worry, too.

Marc

Back
Top Bottom