New Member Saying Hi

Brad's Dad

Advanced Member
Howdy!

I recently purchased a used 2004 Hawk shell (with quite a few options) for use on my '06 Tundra doublecab. Just wanted to introduce myself and am looking forward to keeping up with all that's new and learning from you all. While looking around here it looks like a great group and I'm looking forward to sharing all things 4WC related.

I'm in the process of mounting my Hawk and am in the early stages. I've just set the camper on my truck and gotten loaded axle weights to confirm fit and how much gear I can safely outfit with. Next comes eyebolting and wiring the truck plus adding a rear sway bar, a few maintenance projects on the Hawk, and then a road trip from where I live in northern Wisconsin to the Kalispell Glacier NP area starting in early August. Got my work cut out for me but I'll bet if I have questions I'm in the right place for answers!

Fred

Welcome. Sounds like you're doing things right. Never been to the glacier, be interesting to read the trip report. Good luck.

Welcome to WTW! I am new here myself, but welcome to a great place.

Any photos of your new camper?

Thanks! I have a few pics but am kinda technically challenged at getting them moved around. Hopefully my wife will be able to help when she gets the chance. I purchased the Hawk in Minnesota and trailered it back to Wisconsin and have a few pictures of it on the trailer. Hopefully I'll soon have pics of it on the Tundra!!

Fred

Thanks! I have a few pics but am kinda technically challenged at getting them moved around. Hopefully my wife will be able to help when she gets the chance. I purchased the Hawk in Minnesota and trailered it back to Wisconsin and have a few pictures of it on the trailer. Hopefully I'll soon have pics of it on the Tundra!!

Fred

Where in Minnesota did you buy your camper? Did you buy it from a dealer or person?

Not many FWC's in this part of the country. But I saw one the other day, pulled a quick turn to take a look at it in the parking lot. My girlfriend though it was hilarious.

Where in Minnesota did you buy your camper? Did you buy it from a dealer or person?

Not many FWC's in this part of the country. But I saw one the other day, pulled a quick turn to take a look at it in the parking lot. My girlfriend though it was hilarious.

I purchased it from a private party who kept it at his summer place in Cross Lake.

And yes, I recall seeing a few when traveling out west but have yet to see one around home, and we live in an area with lots of summer terrorists (tourists). The nearest FWC dealer to me is in Eagle (southern WI), about a 4.5 hour drive. Sean Dempsey at Go Anywhere was very helpful and very patient with the half dozen information seeking phone calls when I was considering the purchase.

Welcome....always nice to see another 06 Double Cab around here!

Thank you, mind a couple questions?

How much wind noise do you get and how many mpg do you drop with your camper on? I am considering a fairing and would like to hear of your experience with the same vehicle as me. Have you considered a fairing?

Fred

Thank you, mind a couple questions?

How much wind noise do you get and how many mpg do you drop with your camper on? I am considering a fairing and would like to hear of your experience with the same vehicle as me. Have you considered a fairing?

Fred

I find the wind noise unnoticable unless it is particulary windy outside, then you can really hear it buffeting at highway speeds. Keep in mind my truck is my DD and the camper has been off only two times in 3 years so I am probably just used to what nosie I hear. My Tundra is also the quietest truck I've ever had.

Milage dropped ~3-6 MPG depending on how heavy my foot is (usually pretty heavy). I can recall MPG's as good as 13ish to as bad as 9ish, I really don't bother checking anymore, it is what it is.

I have not really considered a fairing. In the past nobody ever had any hard data to justify it (for me) although somebody recently added one and if I recall correctly was claiming 2-3 MPG gain. Fairly significant. Give it a go, maybe you'll sell me on the idea!
biggrin.gif

Fred, welcome and congrats getting your Hawk! Nice to have another dairylander aboard here. I'm a native but the high mountains called me west.

Congrats on your new Hawk and welcome to the forum!

A roadie out to Glacier NP will make a great trial run. Enjoy!

Congrats on your new Hawk and welcome to the forum!

A roadie out to Glacier NP will make a great trial run. Enjoy!

Thanks for the welcomes! Got the stabilizer bar on tonight and on to wiring and eyebolting the bed over the next few days.

Fred

Back
Top Bottom