New Mex to the Artic, then back

Barko1

I just retired in February, got the older FWC Grandby last Fall, and have never been to Alaska so it was time to make plans. My daughter is off work from injuries and needs to get out of the house and I have two canines that go everywhere so rather than wait to Fall I decided to beat the tourists and maybe some of the bugs and head North to take in the sights. I've been using my 97 F150 4.6L 4x4x long bed but decided I needed more power for the load and the hills so I picked up a 99 7.3 L, added a DP chip, wanted to add airbags but that didn't make it. Also put in a rear slider which was really convenient.
526605172_9Up5J-M.jpg

Th trailer is rugged and I decided I needed it to haul Kayla's Segway (helps her get around) an extra spare, a tool box, generator, etc. As mentioned the truck is new to me and had 113,000 miles on it. Had it gone over well and drove it to Colorado earlier to pick up the new dog and some other trips but not entirely known.

First thing I learned was that the tires were probably not up to the task.
531458822_dHrmJ-M-1.jpg

The tread was good enough but the were 6 ply and technically had the load capacity but after this one lost the tread only 50 miles out I went down the road and decided to replace all 4 with some 10 plies.Having the farm jack and a good breaker bar made changing much easier but the whole deal altered plans, that's OK, no need to get back to work. Ended that day East of Eager, AZ where the temp dipped to 22 degrees, colder than we would see in Alaska.
532314980_k9Gh5-M-1.jpg

The next day headed Northwest going through Flagstaff and Kanab. Thought about the North Rim of the Grand Canyon but still closed as was Cedar Breaks NM in Utah. At elevation above Cedar City found a Forest Service site that required pushing through a couple snowbanks but like the night before it was free:thumb:
532325772_KqF4o-M.jpg

Crossed Utah to NV and rt 93 North. Nothing too exciting, but Twin Falls had a nice viewpoint
532329639_evfbS-M.jpg

There were some nice spots, always had to make sure the dogs got their chance to leave their mark and strtch their legs.
532339626_wvk6Y-M.jpg

The Border Collie is the new addition, MTNHigh helped me track him down as he was being given up in Colorado. Of course the dog is insane, we have had him a couple months and he had been neglected and let me tell you border collies want to do what they want to do and that usually involves controlling something or someone. Therefore frequent exercise stops where they could run free, he doesn't get some running in he will find other avenues for the expression of energy, just a year old. Going before the tourists were out really assisted in allowing this.

Idaho included a visit to Craters of the Moon, was cold so few pictures:(
532333510_W2WQX-M.jpg

Continued up US93 along the Snake River and into Montana
542744283_9gwC6-M.jpg

Not really a warm welcome but we found some nice trees to camp under
542748201_7MoFv-M.jpg

Still a hell of a long ways to Alaska, more later.

The weather got better and we crossed into British Columbia and ended up at a commercial RV place, showers and wifi but they are never that nice and are not very dog friendly
542780741_Ecqfq-M.jpg

Next headed to lake Louise and the Canadian Rockies. Initially all fogged in but it cleared and I wondered how Alaska could match this.
554275166_jJQPe-M.jpg

554278065_SNW5k-M.jpg

554278869_hius7-M.jpg

First Bald Eagle but many more.
554287477_RsRbY-M.jpg

Icefields Parkway was great but I can't imagine all the tour busses later in the season. Ended that day at a Provincial Park
554299157_CcAhS-M.jpg

The nswer to the age old question, does a bear ...., is yes
554307466_2Y2cp-M.jpg

And there were plenty of Caribou on the Cassiar Highway
554308683_J7XYT-M.jpg

This is Boya Lake, cold and the campground was empty
554313411_ZC3SU-M.jpg

Here is the same campsite a couple weeks later on the return, more leaves and no ice, and 1 other camper, and a lot more dirt.

554600767_gvfsi-M.jpg

Next to Haines Junction
554317483_dKRip-M.jpg

The Alaskan Highway was getting nastier, next time more covering.
554319929_AJss2-M.jpg

Decided to head to Valdez but not before the night rain turned to this
554326135_RdiWk-M.jpg

Industrial housing, never heard the term "Mancamp" before
554324480_p6KBb-M.jpg

554329059_TXBjH-M.jpg

Valdez has glaciers and despite my lack of pictures flocks of Bald Eagles, we saw eight at once.
The offroad Segway did it's job and enabled Kayla to get to the toe of Exit Glacier
554330837_uTapn-M.jpg

The Segway's batteries don't like cold mornings but did well on a variety of trails and all around the campsites.
Moved on to Seward and stayed on the beach a couple of nights.
554333347_jXnjj-M.jpg

Plenty of other residents
554333796_unBtG-M.jpg

554335659_wUvUp-M.jpg

And more great views.

Barko

What a trip, I have been yearning for such an adventure for a long time. How many miles did you cover and in what kind of time frame??

Keep 'em comin'!

Barko1,

We've enjoyed your trip/pics a lot...brings back a lot of good memories.

Was Kluane Lake open when you came back through? We camped there in '74 when we first came to Alaska and enjoyed it a lot.

We're looking forward to hearing about/seeing the Dalton part of your trip too. I've spent time at both the Yukon R. bridge and Deadhorse but have never driven the full highway. It was only open to "authroized" vehicles for many years but I think authorization was pretty easy to come by.

Thanks for the write-up and pics!
'birds

Wow, great trip report. Makes me wonder why I haven't done that yet. Oh yeah, I"m not retired:mad:

I had no idea they made an offroad segway. Way cool.:thumb:

Maybe we should have a fwc get together at the Artc Circle:thumb:

Here Here to that idea... I was planning on doing it on 2 wheels next June, but plans change, and now I plan on doing it on 4 wheels. That opens up the window of opportunity a bit, not so weather limited.

Here Here to that idea... I was planning on doing it on 2 wheels next June, but plans change, and now I plan on doing it on 4 wheels. That opens up the window of opportunity a bit, not so weather limited.

I thought I'd get up there on 2 wheels first but as you say plans change. The heavy watering of the road was unpleasant in the truck, on the bike it would have been real nasty and slippery and knobbies and a light bike would have been good.

Was Kluane Lake open when you came back through? We camped there in '74 when we first came to Alaska and enjoyed it a lot.
'birds
On the way back the sign at Kluane said closed but on closer inspection it wasn't and we had a spot right on the lake. By then many lakes were open water but not there and when the wind came off that big mass of ice it was time to head inside.

Back
Top Bottom