New Ocelot

sotter

Just returned from Sacramento with our new Ocelot. Brought my 5 year old along for the 2,000 mile round trip and he was a real trooper (see photo of child letting off some steam when we arrived, good thing mom was at home). Pulled into Marty and crews shop around 1pm...anxious, nervous, excited. I purchased the Ocelot "sight unseen" and when I arrived I was completely impressed. The camper was nicer than I had anticipated. These guys are incredible with their detail and quality. What can I say about Marty and the boys that hasn't already been said on this forum...they are all that and a bag of chips! Thanks ATC. Also, thanks again to the folks on this forum for all of the great info. I gathered..big help. We slept one night at an RV park on the drive home and another in the driveway at home (my son begged for another night in the camper). Here are some photos from the shop and the trip. Our first big trip will be in March on the White Rim Trail.
PS: I think I posted the photos in the gallery before I figured out how to make them small enough for the posting, hope that doesn't cause any "site space" issues)

Attachments

• IMG_0899.jpg
    IMG_0899.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 752
  • IMG_0879.jpg
    IMG_0879.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 936
  • IMG_0907.jpg
    IMG_0907.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 1,044
  • IMG_0906.jpg
    IMG_0906.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 891
  • IMG_0910.jpg
    IMG_0910.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 795
  • IMG_0898.jpg
    IMG_0898.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 587
Congratulations on your new Ocelot. You will have years of fun in it. Also, great photos. The ATC boys look about the same but Marty isn't as hairy as he used to be! Are those speakers I see under the awning on the passenger's side of the camper?

Don't you need to get reservations way in advance to camp along the White Rim? I've been to Canyonlands NP many times and have driven bits of the trail but never all the way around.

PS: I often sleep in my ATC while it's parked in the driveway.

Congratulations on your new Ocelot. You will have years of fun in it. Also, great photos. The ATC boys look about the same but Marty isn't as hairy as he used to be! Are those speakers I see under the awning on the passenger's side of the camper?

Don't you need to get reservations way in advance to camp along the White Rim? I've been to Canyonlands NP many times and have driven bits of the trail but never all the way around.

PS: I often sleep in my ATC while it's parked in the driveway.

Thanks, we are excited for sure.
We were able to get reservations through the Canyonlands Office @ Island in the Sky. I called and spoke with a ranger there in early January and he talked me through it. If you stick to the less popular times and are flexible with your dates I believe it can be done. We have camped all over SE Utah and have wanted to travel the White Rim for several years so looking forward to it.
Yes those are speakers on the camper. I had ATC install a stereo in the camper for us. We can separate the sound inside and out or both. They are marine speakers so the weather shouldn't be a problem. I am currently looking for a way to cover them though.The speakers sound great and are perfect when sitting under the awning but with that said I would like to "disguise" them a bit and make them a little more subtle. Marty said they loved having it on on the shop. We usually camp remotely so hopefully we don't interrupt anyone else's camping experience.

Pretty sweet setup. Congrats and enjoy the WRT...can't think of a better shakedown trip.

Just returned from Sacramento with our new Ocelot. Brought my 5 year old along for the 2,000 mile round trip and he was a real trooper (see photo of child letting off some steam when we arrived, good thing mom was at home). Pulled into Marty and crews shop around 1pm...anxious, nervous, excited. I purchased the Ocelot "sight unseen" and when I arrived I was completely impressed. The camper was nicer than I had anticipated. These guys are incredible with their detail and quality. What can I say about Marty and the boys that hasn't already been said on this forum...they are all that and a bag of chips! Thanks ATC. Also, thanks again to the folks on this forum for all of the great info. I gathered..big help. We slept one night at an RV park on the drive home and another in the driveway at home (my son begged for another night in the camper). Here are some photos from the shop and the trip. Our first big trip will be in March on the White Rim Trail.
PS: I think I posted the photos in the gallery before I figured out how to make them small enough for the posting, hope that doesn't cause any "site space" issues)

Sotter, I was over at ATC in the morning before you picked up your camper, and the guys had the stereo going. I'm afraid the outside speakers would make me want to camp somewhere other than next to your campsite. But then I'm sort of a curmudgeon when it comes to wanting
peace and quiet while camping.

I took a peek inside and it looked great..I'm sure you're going to have
many years of great memories camping with the little guy. Congrats on the new camper.

Nice looking unit. I had decided on putting an Ocelot on my 2005 Tundra until I found a used Hawk at a price I could not pass up. I like the fit on your Tundra much better than the Hawk. Keep posting on how the Ocelot works out for you.

Bill

Congratulations on your camper. I was up at ATC a few months ago and saw it being built.

Have fun,

Darryl
Fully Loaded ATC Bobcat on a 2001 Tacoma 4x4

Hey Sotter

Congrads on the new Camper!

Sorry I didn't reply to your post in November. Made a rather good but unanticipated move to Park City and have been off list for a while.

Looks like you got a sweet little rig.

I'm adding a tardy reply to your questions in the original thread.

Feel free to ask any other questions you might have. PM me if I don't respond in a few days.

Happy Trails!

S

PS You still heading to southern Utah this month? We may be able to get on the road, but things are still tight.

I hear there's been a bit more snow than normal in Moab.

S

PS You still heading to southern Utah this month? We may be able to get on the road, but things are still tight.

I hear there's been a bit more snow than normal in Moab.

S

Outerspace,
Thanks for getting back to me. Frankly all of your original posts about your camper helped me tremendously. Utah is still on the calendar and I am looking forward to it. Spoke with the rangers at Island in the Sky yesterday and they said they have 9" of snow on the ground in the campground. White Rim is much less snow but they have closed Shaffer Trail so we will have to travel in Pot Ash road. Should be quite an adventure. Got the snow chains packed just in case. As I look out my window in Durango right now snow is lightly falling.
The Ocelot is great. We haven't done too much to it yet. I replaced the padding on the main bed with a memory foam topper(found the original foam a little stiff for us) and did some organizing inside. We are anxious to get out on the trail! My son and I have spent a total of 6 nights in the camper.....sadly in the driveway.
sotter

Hi Sotter: Can you tell us more about the memory foam? Where can we get it? I also saw your camper up at ATC when it was being built before the top was on. I have a fully loaded 2009 Bobcat.

Thank you,

Darryl

Hi Sotter: Can you tell us more about the memory foam? Where can we get it? I also saw your camper up at ATC when it was being built before the top was on. I have a fully loaded 2009 Bobcat.

Thank you,

Darryl

Darryl,
You bet. The memory foam was from Walmart. We sleep on a Temperpedic bed at home and really like it. I checked their website and they had a mattress topper that was way out of my price range considering it was for my camper so I started looking for cheaper options. We ended up purchasing a king size topper from Walmart (here is a link: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4569413&findingMethod=rr) I pulled the old foam out of the covers and used it to measure and cut the new. So far so good. The one thing I would recommend if you go this route is when you purchase the new foam give it about 48 hours to let go of all the odor. I did a little reading online and the claim is that the odor is non-toxic and safe but it sure does stink! After a couple of days that dissipates and all is good. The thickness is just a hair less than the original but seems very comfortable to us. The only thing I might have done different would be the actual cutting. I used a large serrated knife and "chewed" through it so to speak. If I had the option I might have had an upholstery shop do the cutting with some electric shears.
Congrats on the Bobcat. I am working on a friend of mine to get a Bobcat ordered for his Tacoma. What do you have your mounted on?

S.

Hi Sotter: Thank you for the information. I will check it out. I do know of a foam place that can cut it so thank you for the suggestion.

I have a 2001 Tacoma Std Cab 4x4 Automatic. Its a 2.7 4 cyl. My wife and I aren't too tall so its what I was looking for. I have bilsteins, supersprings and a helwig sway bar. If you noticed at the beginning of 2009 ATC was selling a Bobcat on a special sale. I am the one who bought it. By the time the whole thing was done I ended up with basically every option I would ever want and I visited ATC later and they gave me a few other things. I got probably the best deal that anyone has gotten on a new one. I cannot speak more highly of the guys at ATC. Its one of the better choices I have made. We love the camper and use it a lot and we go places that can be pretty rough.

As I said in my earlier post, I saw your camper and you you must be really happy. Best of fun for you.

Darryl

I looked into memory foam as well. I decided against it when I was told it can be cold. Really cold if you are out in cold weather. Now we can be out when snow is possible so what was a nogo for me may work for others.

S

Look at http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2003/

Doesn't hang over the sides of the truck as much as the Hawk or Panther but has the floor room.

Back
Top Bottom