New Old Alaskan owner

samstu

New to posting here. Lurked for a while. Now have a new to me Alaskan NCO from mid Sixties. Somebody reskinned it and did some interior upgrades. I stuck it in the back of my 3500 Dodge 4x4 diesel for on and mild off road adventures.

Anyway, while rebuilding hydraulic cylinders (thanks guys for posting O-ring size), I noticed two sets of holes in cylinder. One for extended (up) and one for mostly down position. When I bought it, it was sitting full lowered without pins in cylinders.

So, is it best to drive with cylinders fully down OR with pins in and cylinders mostly down?

Thanks

Sam

My understanding is the pins are to relieve/relax the weight of the roof pressure off the hydrolic system.
Raise the top all the way, pin the cylinders, lower onto pins. To lower, raise off pins, remove pins, lower completely.
It makes sense to me to lower for all travel. I would leave it up only to move a short distance at a SLOW speed when moving a VERY short distance. It seems to me that the top/roof section would wear the guide brackets if driven much in the raised position.
It is a very easy system to lower, the re raise at the new site.
I have seen Alaskan Campers going down the freeway raised. My assumption was/is that it has had some pump or hydrolic issues which would cost time/$$ to repair, so modified to be a solid camper. Just guessing of course.

Enjoy your camper. :)

Oh, I'm pretty sure mine has only "up" holes. (Edit)

Buckwheat said:
Mine has the 2 sets of holes. I always just lower it all the way down
I understand that some users will pin the CO models down for fear of the wind lifting them.

I put about 7,000 miles on my 10' CO this summer with no trouble at all.

In the month I have owned mine, I have seen mine lift a few inches with strong wind, so I now strap it. There is a lower half for sale on Alaskan website.

Back
Top Bottom