New Outrage!

Buckwheat said:
Oh I see a bussiness oportunity. Battle drones designed to take out someone elses drone.
Somebody is already messing with that sort of thing.

CALIcamperdad said:
On a new note. I stopped by my old RC field last weekend hadn't been by that place in 7yrs. None of the old guys were there but a bunch of new guys were there. There were 4 racing drones flying by video feed around a staked course. Sort of a modern version of the Star Wars scene where the space bike things are racing through the forest. I must say it was very entertaining and pretty impressive. The drones were small 4 blade units and were running the course at about 35-40mph anywhere between a foot to 15 ft off the ground. The staked course covered about a 3 acre area running through trees and around pole markers.
Those Star Wars machines can be dangerous. The Tie fighters in particular.

So far drones havent been too much of an issue here.

My neighbor was wandering on the side of my property a few weeks ago. I went up to say hi. She had lost her new quad rotor drone on the 1st flight. Assumed it had come down in my trees or woods when it got too far from the controls. No I didn't have anything to do with the disappearance. But had I seen it flying over my house I probably would have.

These things have their uses. But I see this getting ugly the farther down the road it gets.

After thinking about this entire thread, it got me realizing that threads/posts/rants like many above are downright disrespectful, offensive and mere drivel. If you don't like drones flying above your campground, move farther out with your pop-up campers...

Funny that you post about shooting someones property out of the sky, yet if I post something on here about carrying a gun in my camper, it get's censored. Like the rest of us, I'm not too keen on these things flying around my camp either, but Bigfoot had the most intelligent post of any on this thread. Maybe we can learn something from that. If it's not useful conversation that could educate someone on the topic, and how to improve something, it ought to be deleted or locked. Many just post trash in my mind like saying "Drone people don't think they should have to follow any rules at all". Really? like that's productive or even realistic. We don't need that attitude on WTW. If we can't post and discuss safety aspects of camping and carrying guns for safety (out in the middle of nowhere) why should we be able to post about shooting someones property down just because you don't like it. Have you considered that what you do may offend the guy/gal flying the drone around? Sorry Craig333, nothing personal, I'm just a bit peeved that moderators can take a productive thread and lock it, while they let this rant-filled thread continue to fester.

This, my friends, as the topic implies, is the real "new outrage".

Now let's have some positive contributions to this thread or risk having them censored if I'm offended one bit at your heinous objections. Realize that some people love filming the very same things we also enjoy so much...

By the way, I sometimes use a Honda EU1000i generator to charge my batteries. stay far away if you don't like the noise or belching gasses it coughs out. You have no right to shoot it just because it's running near your camp.

Privacy and noise? It could have been much worse. For example, this 1945 City of the Future display:
11079446_10152749978781603_1660679930986530183_o.jpg

Actually, we're finally getting there albeit many decades after those in 1945 envisioned:
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/flying-car-moves-science-fiction-toward-reality-n93151
140429-terrafugia-flying-car-2024_06175c11a5e0474f473bfb10a93e6190.nbcnews-fp-1440-600.jpg

Reality check on current small drones. A typical model such as the popular Phantom quadcopter at close range--closer than it should be to people--is about as loud as a vacuum cleaner or truck; city streets are louder. With most people we see packing a camera in their pocket and roughly 30 million surveillance cameras active in the U.S., privacy was lost long before drones came on the scene. No doubt that drones annoy people who are not expecting them, but the fact that we put up with so many other intrusions in our daily lives makes drones seem more a minor curiosity.

Bigfoot said:
Privacy and noise?

Reality check on current small drones. A typical model such as the popular Phantom quadcopter at close range--closer than it should be to people--is about as loud as a vacuum cleaner or truck; city streets are louder. With most people we see packing a camera in their pocket and roughly 30 million surveillance cameras active in the U.S., privacy was lost long before drones came on the scene. No doubt that drones annoy people who are not expecting them, but the fact that we put up with so many other intrusions in our daily lives makes drones seem more a minor curiosity.
I would suggest that the sound of drones is more intrusive in outdoor settings where people go to get away from city noise, rather than expecting that to follow them, and just be exepcted to accept it as "part of modern life". Doesnt fly for me.

I'd say the same for privacy. I think security cameras in public places, even though common, are intrusive. Accepting them everywhere we go isnt acceptable to me. If people just accept them as part of the incremental invasion of privacy we've been forced to live with, at what point is it OK if theres cameras in our houses and cars? If you think its OK and want to live that way, fine. Dont be surprised if other people have differing opinions.

Malamute said:
I would suggest that the sound of drones is more intrusive in outdoor settings where people go to get away from city noise, rather than expecting that to follow them, and just be exepcted to accept it as "part of modern life". Doesnt fly for me.

I'd say the same for privacy. I think security cameras in public places, even though common, are intrusive. Accepting them everywhere we go isnt acceptable to me. If people just accept them as part of the incremental invasion of privacy we've been forced to live with, at what point is it OK if theres cameras in our houses and cars? If you think its OK and want to live that way, fine. Dont be surprised if other people have differing opinions.
Good points. I wasn't saying that intrusions are okay, just that we accept many other annoyances with nary a blink. It's hard to go anywhere in the West where we will not be disturbed by vehicles, machinery, gunshots, entertainment devices, people talking loudly, etc. It's happened to me in the most remote places. Drones are relatively minor in context and hardly warrant the overreaction they seem to attract. Besides, as tools to provide us with an enhanced perspective they are way more interesting than many things people do outdoors.

Bigfoot said:
Besides the chimpanzee I have seen videos of the following animals knocking down a drone: hawk, kangaroo, ram, lion and of course dogs. Those are amusing but the most bizarre video was of a drone covered with a stuffed cat!

cat1_2238811k.jpg
Gee, I could start liking cats again.

Actually, I do like them, but severely allergic to them.

I was in the woods out back a couple of days ago and had a thought. I actually came up with a good purpose for everyday drones for us little people. Here in the east the woods are full of an invasive species brought in during the depression by the USDA. It's called Multiflora Rose. It owns the understory here in the east. It's horrid. Last thing to die off in the fall 1st to come back in the spring. Nearly impossible to kill. And it's an impenetrable sticker bush complex.

At this time of year when it's the main thing popping up a small drone could be used to fly through the understory to spray this stuff. It's next to impossible to do any other way.

Back
Top Bottom