New Owner; A Couple Questions

srockgibson

My sister recently bought a mid-90s Alaskan. We are long-standing motorhome owners and just spent 10-days camping with her and her family on the Oregon Coast.

Her Alaskan worked great for her; I have a couple questions to make sure her and her family stays safe while using it.

• I couldn't find an LP gas alarm. Is there one, and I just didn't find it? If Alaskans don't come with one, have any of you installed one aftermarket? If so, where did you put it?
  • When operating on propane, the 3-way Dometic fridge combustion exhaust vents in a way that I'm not used to. When the hydraulic top is raised, it looks to me that there's a "loose" unsealed vent to the outside. But this outisde louvred vent vent also had a switched 6-8" 12V fan attached to it. I wasn't sure as to the purpose of this fan. Does it need to be turned on for proper refrigerator combustion exhaust venting? Or is it an extra fan to aid in general ventilation? A description of refrigerator venting would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

JeffM

JeffM,

My guess is that fan is an add on to help the gas fridge cool. I've seen that done before on other campers. Also when the top is down and the refrigerator is running you are supposed to leave the window open so the fridge vent is not blocked by the top section.
Greg

a picture would be worth....say...a 1000 words....The gas refer does require proper cooling to work efficiently...and the venting is tricky....I'd like to see the application

I always hesitate to use propane while under way....too many chances to go sideways...if it's a three way...the 12v circuit should be integrated into the charging circuit of the truck batteries....just don't go off and leave it for any length of time a diode in the circuit will aid with that...12v refers are well known for draining batteries in a NY second.

Back
Top Bottom