new owner

michael

i am new to this forum. i just bought a 2002 hawk here in new mexico a week ago and i am looking for some information. i have a battery in the storage compartment under the couch and am trying to figure how to charge it. did these models usually come with a Power Converter? is it easily accessable? i want to install a furnace since this did not come with one. is this possible?

michael

As for the battery

You can connect it to the truck wiring using a battery isolator. The isolator will allow charging of the camper battery while the engine is running, but the camper electrical use won't drain the main battery while the engine is off. I connected my camper through the trailer wiring harness.

Like Ed says, you should wire it like you would a travel trailer so that it charges as you drive. There are many references on the web describing dual battery setups and trailer wiring.

The FWCs don't have a converter/charger like a travel trailer. When off the truck, you can charge it with a small automotive battery charger.

Welcome to the forum and keep us updated on your adventures :cool:

There is a good explanation here:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/18595593.cfm

And I'll add that most converters, unless you pay a lot of $$ for the multi-stage (aka smart aka intelligent) charge option, are not good battery chargers.

They typically only put out a max of 8 Amps and, depending on where the voltage cutoff is set, either can boil your battery out over a long time or won't charge anywhere near max. A poster on another group said a Magnetek/Parallax tech told him his model was set to cut off at 12.2VDC, which would result in only a 60% charge on a typical lead-acid battery.

I'd rather take way less than half the converter money and get a good Vector (aka Black&Decker now) charger with jump-start option and have something you can use elsewhere besides the TC - YMMV...

Hey Michael

Congratz' on the new purchase.

I think you got a smokin deal if that was the camper posted for $ 4000.00 on RV Trader ? It looked really nice in the pics !

But, sorry to break the bad news, it is a 2001 model (or older). I saw he had it posted as a 2002, but it has the "white wall interior" and those were only made in 1997 - 2001 (+ or -).

In 2002, the interiors have a light wood grain interior for the walls and folding lift panels.

You camper won't have the "power converter" back then.

Most customers are wiring the camper up to the truck battery with inline fuses and an isolator / or separator. There a few threads on how to do this on the forum.

jimjxsn...

Just so the fourm knows, in 2002 (and newer) all of the four wheel campers were built with a power converter in the cabinets standard (except empty shell models). The converter will throw a charge to the aux. camper battery when you are hooked into shore power as well as power most everyhting else in the camper needing 12v power.

jimjxsn...

Just so the fourm knows, in 2002 (and newer) all of the four wheel campers were built with a power converter in the cabinets standard (except empty shell models). The converter will throw a charge to the aux. camper battery when you are hooked into shore power as well as power most everyhting else in the camper needing 12v power.

Good info, thanks Stan...

where can i find out what year my camper is? and yeah it is in very good condition. i caught a real break finding one here in new mexico.

michael

Hey Michael

There should be a serial number written on the aluminum under the carpet that is at the very front of the cab-over bed area (inside).

If you pop the camper roof up and pull down / pull out the cab-over bed cushion, usually in the front portion of the camper frame (Aluminum C Chanel) there is a strip of carpet tucked in there.

If you peel the carpet back, there is usually a serial number written in black pen. It will usually be in the driver's side / front corner written on the frame.

The ID sticker for the camper was originally in the bottom right hand corner on the back of the camper (on the outside, rear wall of camper, serial number would be scratched into a small label, something like ... 20786-H).

Another way that might work to be able to tell you more about the camper is if you bought it from the original owner and know their last name. I can pull it up in our old data base by name or number.

New Mexico...

Michael,

Where do you live in NM? We live in TorC.

Brian

A belated congratulations, Michael. We've a recently acquired 2001 Hawk that absolutely delights us.

Slightly off-topic, but if we ever were to consider a new camper, we'd also be putting it on a new truck. Has anybody ever ordered a new truck from a dealer near the factory, had the camper built and installed, and then flown out to pick up the combo?

New Mexico...

Michael,
One of these days we ought to meet somewhere for a cuppa or lunch. I am taking off one a jaunt up to the Pacific Northwest in a couple of days and won't be back for a month or so but if you ever come down this way let us know and we can visit and talk campers....or whatever.
Brian

new truck combo

Yes, it has happened that a customer bought a truck at the local dealer, had the camper installed and then came out to pick it up. Only once while I was at FWC.

Hey Mark

Yep, we get a couple people each year that will buy a new truck locally, order a new camper, and fly out here to match the two up.

In the old days you would not see that often, but now with the internet, you can get some pretty good truck deals on line.

I bought my truck that way (used) from someone in Vegas. One way SouthWest ticket was less than $100.00 and she picked me up at the airport (even better). Worked out great for both parties.

thanks all for all the replies and advice. and thanks stan for the info on the camper.

michael

Back
Top Bottom