New problem with my '05 Eagle - sheared off screws.

Wallowa said:
Brian,

Pault...Strut attachment plates have been 'Improved' but this lag screw/bolt is a different issue.

.Phil
I know, but the plate was the design change in the recall. They removed the original mounting screw, added the plate, drilled two holes for each plate & installed two lag screws per plate. Times two for each end of strut. Originally, there were no mounting plates, just the ball mount for the strut.

Paul

I found the two packages of self drilling screws that are used, #10 x 2" Hex Head, not terribly substantial, but apparently do the job 99% of the time. I'm sure mine was just over torqued when installed or a flawed screw. I live within 2 1/2 hours (very lucky) of FWC so we drove down and they fixed the screw problem and performed a nice inspection of the unit. FWC's service department is really excellent.

As for screw strength, my uncle has been retired for 20 years, he just thru that out, but they must make a high strength #10 x 2" screw that would be better, then again maybe not!

Brian and Paul,

Thanks. Appreciate the explanations. This does clarify it and hopefully any problem with these attachment points are now history.

Phil

This was a relatively easy fix. The screws were too corroded to back out and too small to effectively use an EZ-out. Just drilled them out and then put in new screws. The hardest part was the awning getting in the way of drilling one of the screws out and had to just go in at an angle and essentially drill a new hole.

Back
Top Bottom