New RAM 1500 question

RnK

Advanced Member
We're finally moving on from our beloved 2004 Tundra after 10 years of excellent service. Got a good deal on a 2024 RAM 1500 Big Horn so that's what we're going with. When I opened the tailgate I noticed the curve where the side of the bed meets the bottom, right at the tailgate where the widest part of the our Hawk Shell sits. There's only about 54 1/2" across the flat of the bed to where the curve starts up. Our Hawk Shell is about 58" side to side so not enough room to sit flat on the bed, even with a bed mat. I know I've seen a thread about this but I can't seem locate it. I assume all of you 1500/Hawk owners solve it with a buildup in the bed? Thanks for any input or a link to the thread I lost track of! And anything else you think I might need to be concerned about.
Robert

Robert, do a search for “Ranger Notch”. There were two if not more ways of dealing with that. ATC built their campers with a slight notch to clear that curved area. I believe someone else took a really big hammer 😳 to the curve to make the camper fit. Good luck!

The newer GMC built trucks also were built with rounded corners that require a camper having slats added to the bottom or placed on a platform.

Thanks, guys, for the input. I think not on the really big hammer (!):) And I don't really fancy cutting a notch in the Hawk so I will probably go with adding height in the bed.
Robert
ps - ski3pin, that 2014 Hawk is still sporting the thermal pack we fabricated several years ago with your invaluable set of instructions. It's holding up well and keeping us warm at night. So, thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom