New Rig!

SLOJET

Advanced Member
After going back and forth between a F150 Ecoboost and the Dodge 2500 diesel, I finally made a decision...

Diesel baby! I found an 09 6.7l, 6spd manual, 4x4, with 14k miles on it on craislist and went for it. So far so good. I deleted the DPF and it's now averaging about 17mpg with the camper and I just recieved all new suspension from Don Thuren of Thuren Fabrication up in Bend, Or. All the new parts should go on tonight. So far I really like it, although it's not a big change from my 99, just much quieter.

IMG_2319.jpg

IMG_2183.jpg

And old rig...

IMG_0001-1.jpg

Cool. What all are you doing in terms of suspension?

Just doing the basic "starter" package at this point. That includes new coils, his own shock package, which is just custom valved bilstein 5100's, new track bar, sway bar end links, and shackles for the rear.
IMG_2478.jpg

I had his suspension on my last dodge and it was great. He really knows dodge 2500 suspension. You wouldn't believe the performance they are getting with these 8500lb trucks.

I know you picked up a dodge also and saw your posts about the suspension awhile back, so I'm pretty sure you know about Thuren. Give him a call if you are on the fence, he's super busy but he will get back to you and he won't sell you something you don't need. Check out Carli Suspension too, they make comparable products.

Dodge Suspension Video

Let me know how you like the drop shackles. IF I decide to add any height back on mine I'll probably go with power wagon coils up front, thuren track bar and shackle in the rear, TBD on the end links.

Edit: I didn't realize he did basic style end links as well, I've just seen the hemi link ones. Those a more affordable option I take it?

FYI: Those aren't custom blisten 5100s but rather a twin tube shock to his specs. That isn't a monotube shock which the blisten 5100 is.

Let me know how you like the drop shackles. IF I decide to add any height back on mine I'll probably go with power wagon coils up front, thuren track bar and shackle in the rear, TBD on the end links.

Edit: I didn't realize he did basic style end links as well, I've just seen the hemi link ones. Those a more affordable option I take it?

FYI: Those aren't custom blisten 5100s but rather a twin tube shock to his specs. That isn't a monotube shock which the blisten 5100 is.

You know, I think I paid the same for those end links. I just looked at the quote he sent me and it shows dual heim links, but that's not what I received.

THUREN 3" COILS = $310
THUREN V3 TRACKBAR = $330
THUREN DUAL HEIM SWAYBAR LINKS = $174
THUREN OVERLAND SHOCK PACKAGE = $280
THUREN ADJUSTABLE SHACKLES = $259
THUREN FOX STEERING DAMPER KIT = $255

I'll let you know if the shackles make a difference. For now I'm going to leave the rear overload spring stock. I'm hesitant to cut it down like he suggested, so I'm going to leave it and see how it rides.

You are correct on the shocks. I was thinking of my old setup and that had Lorenz's 5100's with the silver body.

I'm dropping it off for the install in about thirty minutes and I'll have it back Saturday. I'll give you the low down on how it rides.

What was he saying about the overload spring? The shackle just lowers the rear mounting point of the rear leaf spring, I didn't realize spring pack changes were suggested.

Come on man, those are fairly easy driveway installs! :p (Other than the alignment afterwards)

PS. Are you familiar with the alignment technical bulletin to make sure the tie rod ends are properly lined up after the alignment is done? If not I can track it down for you, when I had mine aligned they didn't do it right so its apparently not well known, doing it wrong can lead to failure of the tierod (and thus steering loss...).

What was he saying about the overload spring? The shackle just lowers the rear mounting point of the rear leaf spring, I didn't realize spring pack changes were suggested.

Come on man, those are fairly easy driveway installs! :p (Other than the alignment afterwards)

PS. Are you familiar with the alignment technical bulletin to make sure the tie rod ends are properly lined up after the alignment is done? If not I can track it down for you, when I had mine aligned they didn't do it right so its apparently not well known, doing it wrong can lead to failure of the tierod (and thus steering loss...).

The overload spring can be cut down to 14" to 16" which helps keep the spring soft further into the stroke. It's effectively the same as removing the overloads and replacing them with a mini-pac, but you cant go back to stock easily. The shackles have a nice poly bushing, with a zerk fitting and also have three mounting hole choices. Stock, 3/4" lift, and 1 1/2" I believe. Supposedly they allow a smoother articulation of the leaf also.

I checked on the end links and he made and executive decision and sent me his new "daily driver" links. I checked my invoice and they are $109 vs. $189. They should be adequate for anything I do.

Ha! I'd love to be doing the install, but I am in a hotel on the east coast waiting for work to send me home. I don't get too many days off, so I have a buddy that picks up my truck from the airport, works on it while I'm gone, and then drops it back off again before I get home. Works great.

That would be excellent if you could forward that .pdf to me.

dbrjet AT gmail . com Thanks!

Cool, good to know on the DD links.

TIME and the lack there of it, I feel your pain. I'll shoot you that later when I'm at home.

Update...

Figured I get a few miles on the truck before I gave a report on the suspension. Overall I'm pleased although it was not the improvement that I got when I re-sprung my 99. The front is much more compliant on large bumps. Before it felt like it had 3" of travel and then hit the bumpstops. Now, it feels like it has some stroke to it and doesn't have the harsh hit. The rear is a toss up. I put the Thuren shackles on and it did free up the rear end a bit, but it still has a kick and it's unbalanced with the front. This is to be expected though since I did not opt for cutting the overload spring down, or replacw the pack entirely with the long travel leafs($1000). I'm on the hunt for a spare set of overloads that I can chop down and see how they ride and how much sag I get with the camper on.

So from my perspective on the whole setup, I like the front end and his trackbar is built like a brick sh@thouse. The rear is so so and I could have done without dropping $260 on shackles and instead I should have bought the "minipacs" from Carli, which I may still do. Overall though I feel like it's almost a necessary mod on these Dodge 2500's if you want to hit the trails at over 5mph and not get your teeth kicked out....

Back
Top Bottom