New Road

ski3pin said:
That's a little remote controlled toy jeep, right? Nobody is that dumb or needs to get somewhere that bad. :)
I dunno... looks pretty real to me. I'd much rather be going stupid fast on that road pictured above....

The KKH may be the highest PAVED road in the world, but there are GRAVEL roads you can drive that are even higher.

https://www.dangerousroads.org/rankings23/5269-highest-mountain-passes-of-south-america.html

From a gasoline engine perspective, I wonder what's the highest altitude you would expect a non-supercharged car or truck to be functional at?

1: Engine vacuum is said to decrease by 1" for every 1,000 foot of altitude. I assume that at some point, there won't be enough vacuum for the engine to run.

2: With supercharged engines, I guess you could start it at a lower altitude and it would still be running at the high altitudes. But if it was turned off at the higher altitudes, I wonder if it would restart?

3: Finally, I wonder at what point the ECU would go: "And the air density is . . . Oh, hell no, that CAN'T be right!" and shut down?

Also, if you have a vacuum power booster as opposed to a hydroboost system on your brakes, I imagine coming back down from such heights would be interesting . . .

Back
Top Bottom