New Road

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
For the adventurous at heart...

4E7F0D59-7CDB-4C9C-ABFF-605D5B89F20E.jpeg

Peru anyone... Curvas de Huanchaca

Here ya go..Gives you a real perspective..

THE KARAKORAM HIGHWAY

The attributes of this unbelievable roadway, the Karakoram Highway, extending from Pakistan to China, is fast becoming recognized as the 8 th man-made wonder of the world. Known informally as the KKH, it is the highest paved international road in the world. I would not like to have to drive this road in the daytime, let alone at night. Yikes!!!
At its peak, near the China/Pakistan border, it is considered to be one of the world's hardest alpine climbs.The Karakorum Highway connects China and Pakistan across the Karakoram mountain range via the Khunjerab Pass. Its maximum elevation is 4,693 meters (15,397 feet) above sea level.
810 Pakistani and 82 Chinese workers lost their lives while building the highway.
The route of the KKH traces one of the many paths of the ancient Silk Road, and has a total length of approximately 1,300 Km. (800 miles). 887 Km. (551 miles) in Pakistan and 413 Km. (257 miles) in China. It was started in 1959, and completed 27 years later in 1986.

That gives me severe twitch... Since I get nervous just cleaning the rain gutters, I am going to avoid that road, and any like it.

I used to live in Paraguay 79-81 and spent many months bumming around all the countries in SA. Crossing the Andes in Peru was nuts! On a truck/bus...mud to axil with the back end of the bus out over the edge...straight down 1000's of feet...one understands "helpless".
From Huancayo, a "four hour trip" was 24 hours and we pushed that bus most of the way!

IMG_4033.jpg

Road from summit down to Geiranger Norway
Not exactly the same as the "new" roads,but the road drops/climbs 5.000'
with a lot of switchbacks and turns.
A beautiful road though.
Frank

K6ON said:
Here ya go..Gives you a real perspective..

THE KARAKORAM HIGHWAY

The attributes of this unbelievable roadway, the Karakoram Highway, extending from Pakistan to China, is fast becoming recognized as the 8 th man-made wonder of the world. Known informally as the KKH, it is the highest paved international road in the world. I would not like to have to drive this road in the daytime, let alone at night. Yikes!!!
At its peak, near the China/Pakistan border, it is considered to be one of the world's hardest alpine climbs.The Karakorum Highway connects China and Pakistan across the Karakoram mountain range via the Khunjerab Pass. Its maximum elevation is 4,693 meters (15,397 feet) above sea level.
810 Pakistani and 82 Chinese workers lost their lives while building the highway.
The route of the KKH traces one of the many paths of the ancient Silk Road, and has a total length of approximately 1,300 Km. (800 miles). 887 Km. (551 miles) in Pakistan and 413 Km. (257 miles) in China. It was started in 1959, and completed 27 years later in 1986.
I would love to drive that road, preferably in a Miata or M3 convertible, and no cops/speed limits. Wow!

Back
Top Bottom