New to FWC - New to WTW - Would like some input on my FWC set up

JohnTaco

I want to introduce myself sense this is my first post on the forum. I am a member on tacomaworld and other forums but a new member to WTW.

My name is John, and I currently have a 2014 Toyota Tacoma double cab short bed sport 4x4.
Tacoma is equipped with toytec 3in lift - bilsteins shocks/ springs- Rear add a leaf - Firestone air bag with Daystar cradle

I am about to purchase (great price I could not pass on!) a older FWC as a project and would like to hear what everyone thinks about it. I do have some concerns due to the fact that I have a short bed. I bought this camper for weekend camping, road trips, fishing trips, and light off roading and camping nothing too extreme.I do plan on gutting the camper down to the frame and perform a complete rebuild eventually.

The FWC is a 1984 Fleet model in fair/good condition from what I see and was told. The previous owner had on is 1997 tacoma long bed.

Main concern is I am aware that the camper is 7.5ft long and that my short bed is about 6.5ft long with the tail gate down, having close to a foot of the camper hanging over the tail gate. I have plans of welding up a T bar brace set up that goes into the trucks hitch that extend out supporting the hanging rear end of the camper also acting as rear attachment tie down point. Do you think something like this is suitable for my situation? I may even go as far as removing my rear bumper and welding the T bar support and bolting that to the trucks frame at the rear bumpers mounting points. What are some concerns of having the camper extending that far off the rear? Maybe pop some wheelies... :D ? I may also add some trailer lights in the rear for safety.

Thanks in advance, hope to hear and learn from all of you!

longhorn1 said:
Truck photo is the only photo that is visible.
I just edited the initial post, are the photos visible now to the public? thanks

Photos are down....the dreaded photo bucket enable third party hosting images are showing up.

I had a Grandby on a Dodge Ram 1500 SB. I think carrying a camper that extends to the tailgate is pushing it, but to go beyond the tailgate is an accident waiting to happen. You are putting way to much weight past the rear axle and any emergency maneuver such as a sudden hard swerve or turning and braking at the same time will be a catastrophe. Add the higher center of gravity with the lift kit and you have a recipe for disaster. The truck may carry the weight with the leaf and airbags, but it isn't about the weight, it's about the location of the weight.

Not a good fit or choice in my opinion.

Camper will be sticking out too far.

Too much camper / all of the camper weight will be behind the rear axle.

:(

At the very most, you would want to stick with an older Eagle Model, or older Ranger II Model. Those campers were only 6' 8" long.

Attached are pictures of what we try and NOT do here at the factory. If you look at the rear axle, most all of the camper is over, and behind the axle. Not so good. :(

Attachments

• CIMG7343.JPG
    CIMG7343.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 143
  • Grandby on SB Ford F150 #1.JPG
    Grandby on SB Ford F150 #1.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 141
Stan@FourWheel said:
Not a good fit or choice in my opinion.

Camper will be sticking out too far.

Too much camper / all of the camper weight will be behind the rear axle.

:(

Welcome, John - it sounds like you have a nice suspension upgrade on your Tacoma. I would, however, very seriously consider Stan's statement regarding the weight distribution.

Hi John
I read your message this morning. I just think it would be a bad idea. Your suspension combined with the weight acting like a lever on the front end. Lifting it and the steering problems which could arise.
But maybe you could mount on a small trailer?

Russ

Sorry for the photos not loading, I tried to reload the photos multiple times with no luck.

Thank you all for the input. I completely understand where everyone is coming from with the weight distribution and their concern about the safety of myself and others on the road with the length of the camper in the short bed tacoma. I already had considerations of trading my Tacoma in to purchase a long bed Tacoma before even thinking about a camper. Looks like that maybe the route I will be taking soon.

Guess you live you learn.

Welcome to the forum John.

Yes, potobucket is now next to useless. Might want to try another host like imigur or similar if you will be posting your project.

When I read your intro this am my thought was concern for you that you'd invest a lot of time, effort and hope then realise the truck was wholly inadequate for the camper. That's coming from my own view that if you want a camper, the truck is the means and the camper is the ends. To me a camper is a big step. More to it then an add on to your 'wheeler like offroad tires - which have their own costs and consequences. Having a truck with the bed space and available payload is (just) the start. Better to know now.

Good luck with your search.

John,

Welcome. Your decision to look into a FWC is solid. It makes exploring more fun all the way around. It sounds like you're stoked on your truck, so the other choice is to look at the Raven - that's built for a short bed and won't leave you looking like a stinkbug. They're harder to find, but would fit your truck well. Pick below from FWC site.

Just food for thought,

Karl

swift_model_silver_spur_taacoma_4x4_popup_truck_camper_low_profile_lightweight.-1.jpg

I have a Tacoma double cab short bed and feel that Swift is the only way to go ( or the previous Finch model). As much as I would have liked something bigger, it just wouldn’t be safe or hold up well for me.

I would either go smaller with the mentioned models or get a bigger truck.

Adam

Your set-up would be unsafe in my opinion, not only to you but to others on the road. No one has mentioned another important issue, your insurance coverage. If you were to get in an accident and your insurance carrier discovered you were overweight, they could very well decline coverage. If there is an accident and there is personal injury or death and your insurance company declines to cover you, you might be responsible and that could be a serious amount of money. As others have said look for a different truck and/or camper. Good luck. jd

Don't get me wrong, I think this truck/camper combination is a bad idea. But this is for physical reasons of stability and center of gravity, not for insurance reasons. There is no evidence or precedence for an insurance company to deny you coverage if you are over GVWR. If it can be reasonably determined that an accident was due to your vehicle weight, you could be 'at fault' for that accident and have to pay a deductible and you rates may go up or they may drop you going forward. This is really no different than an accident being caused by any other modification, or behavior that could be seen as 'negligent'. Your insurance company doesn't refuse coverage if you are over the speed limit, on the phone, fail to indicate, have bald tires, non OEM brake pads or mud tires with longer highway stopping distances etc etc.

One poster recently contacted their insurance company to ask this very question and was given this same story. If you are worried about this, read your policy or call your insurance company.

rando said:
Don't get me wrong, I think this truck/camper combination is a bad idea. But this is for physical reasons of stability and center of gravity, not for insurance reasons. There is no evidence or precedence for an insurance company to deny you coverage if you are over GVWR. If it can be reasonably determined that an accident was due to your vehicle weight, you could be 'at fault' for that accident and have to pay a deductible and you rates may go up or they may drop you going forward. This is really no different than an accident being caused by any other modification, or behavior that could be seen as 'negligent'. Your insurance company doesn't refuse coverage if you are over the speed limit, on the phone, fail to indicate, have bald tires, non OEM brake pads or mud tires with longer highway stopping distances etc etc.

One poster recently contacted their insurance company to ask this very question and was given this same story. If you are worried about this, read your policy or call your insurance company.
but, worst case, could said negligence lead to a charge of dangerous driving or criminal negligence ? I mean, in a case where it could be proven a person made a eyes wide open, lifestyle choice to be overloaded right from the get go. Should the possibility be a concern ?

Although the insurer may pay the liability claim, presumably there will be a policy limit and the possibility of an excess judgement.
So I guess we could add, "make sure you have enough liability insurance coverage". What would that be nowadays, 3 mil, 5 mil, 10 ?

OTOH it may never come up, even if one had an accident. In the mean time, time marches on ...

Leaving aside the insurance aspects of it, if there were a death, a charge of involuntary manslaughter might come out of it. It's really hard to say whether it would or not, as 50 different states have 50 slightly different ways of defining it. But "reckless disregard" is usually the factor that keeps it from being ruled a simple accident.

klahanie said:
but, worst case, could said negligence lead to a charge of dangerous driving or criminal negligence ? I mean, in a case where it could be proven a person made a eyes wide open, lifestyle choice to be overloaded right from the get go. Should the possibility be a concern ?

Although the insurer may pay the liability claim, presumably there will be a policy limit and the possibility of an excess judgement.
So I guess we could add, "make sure you have enough liability insurance coverage". What would that be nowadays, 3 mil, 5 mil, 10 ?

OTOH it may never come up, even if one had an accident. In the mean time, time marches on ...
I don't see how this would be any different than the negligence involved in deciding to put a steel bumper on your truck and killing a pedestrian/motorcyclist/bicyclist, or being unable to stop in time due to non-oem or improperly inflated tires. However there are tens of millions of vehicles driving the roads with heavy duty bumpers over/under sized and/or bald tires and I cannot find any evidence of law suits and manslaughter charges. You can dream up all sorts of "what if" scenarios and quickly come to the conclusion that you should never leave your house.

I am in no way suggesting that anyone should operate their vehicle in an unsafe manner. You should be very mindfull of weight, modifications and how you drive. But as far as I can tell the concept that exceeding GVWR on a private use vehicle opens you up to all sorts of liability is largely internet lore.

I am also certain that in practice my 2016 Tacoma/Fleet (which is over GVWR) but has had major suspension work, ABS brakes, Vehicle Stability Control etc, handles better and is safer than my buddies F250/Lance combo which is under GVWR, but far heavier, far more top heavy and lacking in modern stability features.

Back
Top Bottom