New to me Hawk - installation question

dustinbriq

I found a great deal on a loaded 2008 Hawk and have a question about fitment. I have a 2008 GMC Sierra 2500 shortbed. Will the Hawk fit as is, or does it need to be modified as the http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/camper_fit.htm site states that used campers will have to be modified to fit the new body style GM trucks? (Sorry for the run on question)

Also, can the factory eye bolts be used with the turnbuckle system? Lastly, is there a recommended shop in the San Diego area that can hook up the power to the camper itself?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome. Congrats on the new Hawk. Sounds like we have the same basic rig (I passed on a few options but I consider it loaded).:thumb:

Can't advise ya on the fit. I would suggest waiting for an answer from Stan or shooting him an email direct.

Likewise on the eyebolts. I installed my own camper and hooked up the electrical via parts from FWC...and if you have basic knowledge of vehicle electrical systems and can read directions it's a fairly easy deal to pull of on your own. Seems like FWC may have a shop/link in So Cal too(?) that may be able to hook it up if you can't. Again...stan can advise you of the closest place/best way to go.

We LOVE our Hawk. I originally planned to take it off for the Winter but have left it on and have snuck in a few nights here/there...and I'm jonesin' it to go out again. The heater has spoiled me big time...

have fun/enjoy

mtn

If you have the HD you should have a bundle of wires under the box in the front drivers side corner. This is for the 5th wheel - gooseneck trailer hookup. You could bring it into any trailer shop and they can install a rv plug on the wires. Wire your battery and camper to the rv plug and you should be good.

As far as fit, from what I understand they started making the width on the back to fit other pickups (which means you should be able to get it to fit without much modification). You would have to take a measurment on the width of the camper and the width of the pickup tailgate opening at the bottom. The pickup tapers in at the bottom. More than likely you will also have to put a spacer underneath to account for the higher side rails the new body style has.

Sloppy seconds

Don't have the answers you need, but if you find it doesn't fit your Sierra please let me know. I've been looking for a Hawk for a while and i too live in SD.
Thanks in advance
Ian

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up picking her up last night and it fit perfectly. No need to build a platform! I can't wait to get it out this weekend for a shakedown trip.

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up picking her up last night and it fit perfectly. No need to build a platform! I can't wait to get it out this weekend for a shakedown trip.

Right on! We'll be expecting a pic or two ;) Congrats.

Getting back to the fitment of the Hawk...it wasn't as perfect as I thought. I found this out when I took it in to FWC/Six Pac in Riverside to have the camper installed properly.

When the guys had the camper out of the truck, they showed me where the new body style GMC/Chevy 2500's have a support gusset formed in the metal on each side at the tailgate opening that bind against the rear sides of the camper. I had the option of building a small platform or notching the camper to go around the gussets. I opted for the cutting. I'll take pictures of it the next time I have the camper off the truck.

The flu prevented me from getting her out for a shake down trip, but I will be sure to post when I'm on a trip worth mentioning. Here are a few pics of the Hawk on my rig.

Attachments

• hawkright.jpg
    hawkright.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 291
  • hawkrear.jpg
    hawkrear.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 292
  • hawksticker.jpg
    hawksticker.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 280
  • hawkleft.jpg
    hawkleft.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 291
  • hawkfront.jpg
    hawkfront.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 297
Nice truck and camper. I have the same truck except mine is a chev and is greystone instead of black (wish I would have stayed with black). How did they mount it to your truck? Did you bolt it through the bed? I am getting close to having mine completed and need to decide how I am going to restrain it.

Yes, the new bolts are through the bed. I had it temporarily in place with the existing bedwall eyebolts, but the through bed is stronger. Plus, the angles are a bit$h when using the existing bolts. Much easier to use the turnbuckles now.

Back
Top Bottom