New truck - rounded tailgate and camper won't fit

Karlton

Hi all - upgraded to a 2019 Silverado 2500HD and was looking forward to the first trip. Well, I back the truck in and it is tighter than the old Tundra, but I was doing well. However, when I had the Hawk almost all the way in, I realized that I was going to have a problem because the bed where the tailgate was is rounded and not square. Had it been square, no issue, but I think when I lower the camper, it is going to rest on the rounded area and damage the camper.

I'm thinking I could build a platform to raise the camper so that it isn't resting on the rounded area. I'd appreciate any thoughts as I'm pretty crushed that the camper is too wide for the truck bed.

ckycDsLl.jpg

ElPJJvEl.jpg

Mine is sitting on a simple 2×4 frame...2x4s are on their side so lifted 3-3/4ish...it is actually taller than i need but the camper came this way...

"Yeep"! I agree with that assessment...while camper risers are nothing new this is not the usual raise the camper to fit the bed height...but to get the bottom of camper fully supported and not just making contact with round edges of bed..

First thing I would call FWC and discuss options with them before moving ahead with an insert...they undoubtedly have faced this issue before..

Good luck!

Phil

My ATC Ocelot was built to accommodate that for my 2017 Silverado. I don't think it would take much to alter the camper.

The platform looks to be your only option. Build it to bare minimal height, lots of guys have had to make this mod. Maybe do a search for threads on the subject.

Karlton said:
Hi all - upgraded to a 2019 Silverado 2500HD and was looking forward to the first trip. Well, I back the truck in and it is tighter than the old Tundra, but I was doing well. However, when I had the Hawk almost all the way in, I realized that I was going to have a problem because the bed where the tailgate was is rounded and not square. Had it been square, no issue, but I think when I lower the camper, it is going to rest on the rounded area and damage the camper.
My 2016 Hawk came built for a Chevy. I know I have seen posts here where people have made the Chevy Notch on their own. Here is one: https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/3858-chevy-notch/

Raising the camper raises the center of gravity. Probably could get by in the short term with a platform, but I would recommend making the Chevy Notch.
A couple of picture of mine below.

gallery_6242_1424_38.jpg

gallery_6242_1424_48158.jpg

Look at the pictures again, the "chevy notch" is done to put a 6.5ft camper on a 5.5ft bed. The op has a grandby and a 8ft bed truck, the "notch" is not needed, the aluminum framed rear wall is the problem and a simple riser is all that is needed...and raising the cg 2" will not be noticeable

My Chevy "notch" was done to put a 6 1/2 ft camper in a 6 1/2 ft bed. The aluminum rear wall is behind the rounded part of the box.

If you go to Home Depot or Lowe’s they sell 2- 3 inch thick foam insulation in the building materials department. I measured the width and length of the bed and used a saw to trim to accurate dimensions. It provides enough lift to get up and over the Chevy rounded portion of the bed. I’ve had it under the camper for a year now with no issue.

Perhaps one or two 3/4" horse stall mats would provide enough lift? They are made from recycled tires
so provide a bit of cushion and insulation without noticeable compression and does not absorb water. I put a horse stall mat under our hawk. Has worked well.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. As you can imagine I was pretty disappointed to discover the issue. For those that put a riser, did you have to replace the turnbuckle or extended them with another "clip"?

FYI...recycled tire mats weigh a ton....OP have you called FWC and discussed options with them?

Also I assume you need to level/raise the entire bottom of the Hawk box if the curve extends the length of the Chevy bed [fore and aft of the wheel wells]....

I have an email in to Stan asking for guidance. The only issue is right at the tailgate, the rest of the bed is a good fit.

Karlton said:
I have an email in to Stan asking for guidance. The only issue is right at the tailgate, the rest of the bed is a good fit.

Stan a great guy...call him if he can be reached at FWC...

Back
Top Bottom