New Truck? Thinkin' hard about new F150

Our 2007 F-150 super crew 4x4 started acting up on my recent trip pulling our travel trailer (w/o camper). 112K on the clock Don't drive it much but on I-40 through the Mojave with heavy winds I got 6mpg.....Normally I get around 10 mpg towing.

Better half says buy a new or newer truck; one with a more comfortable seat.....

I don't use this truck much these days except when the campers on it other than towing the trailer to San Diego around 5 times per year.

I've had this truck for 10 years. Just put new brakes on it.

My sense says take it in (the only time its been in the shop since I've had it was to change the plugs and have the tranny serviced) and have it 'tuned up' or whatever and just keep it.

Any thoughts?

Mighty Dodge Ram said:
I’d take it in for a diagnostic and service. You don’t mention which engine but 112k is virtually nothing. Get a report and then make your decision.
5.4l triton engine. plugs were changed about 20-30K miles ago.
I know, 112K is nothing since oil has been changed religiously.

I’m not familiar with your engine but it could be something as “simple” as O2 sensors. My Chevy 6.0 has burned through 3 of them and I can always tell even if the CEL/Service light doesn’t come on. Tailpipe turns black, runs a bit rougher, and MPG goes down.

Mighty Dodge Ram said:
I’m not familiar with your engine but it could be something as “simple” as O2 sensors. My Chevy 6.0 has burned through 3 of them and I can always tell even if the CEL/Service light doesn’t come on. Tailpipe turns black, runs a bit rougher, and MPG goes down.
Good advice....I didn't think of checking for codes....I just connected the reader and no codes.......Well that's one good thing.

I took my truck in to get an appt to service my transmission, transfer case,etc....

I thought the engine was making a ticking noise.

The owner listened and said it sounded like a normal 5.4 engine.

I told him I was thinking of buying a new truck and he said: "keep this one"....

I'm taking his advice for now but hope he didn't say that so he can have future business....his appts are over a week out for a simple service so I think he's an honest guy.

After a 3½-month wait (a wait due to the 'fiberglass shortage' ) my new A.R.E. truck canopy arrived yesterday and installed today.

IMG_20220511_143931.jpg IMG_20220511_144111.jpgIMG_20220511_144016.jpg

Now my new rig is complete. :)

Purchased a new F150 3.5 Ecoboost last week - found the truck new on a lot. It's like a much cheaper Raptor in terms of acceleration and zip. The 2021 trucks have 400+ HP and 500 ft/lbs of torque!

Mine is an XL with the STX and FX4 packages ... and a center console. Best thing about the XL is the floors are vinyl! No much nasty, muddy carpet ... I can hose the thing out!

Looked hard at used trucks and with used prices these days new was a no brainer -esp. given the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty.

MarkBC,

Congrats on your new truck! It looks great. I have been driving an older truck for what seems like for ever, and I am always crunching the numbers to determine what the best make/model will be when I upgrade.

You are the first FWC owner I have noticed moving from 3/4 ton to 1/2 ton.

I am looking forward to a post listing the differences that you notice in handling/MPG etc.

Ramblinman said:
MarkBC,

Congrats on your new truck! It looks great. I have been driving an older truck for what seems like for ever, and I am always crunching the numbers to determine what the best make/model will be when I upgrade.

You are the first FWC owner I have noticed moving from 3/4 ton to 1/2 ton.

I am looking forward to a post listing the differences that you notice in handling/MPG etc.
Thanks, Ramblinman. :)

Yes, I've moved from a 3/4-ton F250 to a 1/2-ton F150...but my FWC Hawk has not. That is, I'm keeping the F250 as a permanent mount for the Hawk. The F150 will be the tow vehicle for my travel trailer as well as for general-utility truck stuff.

This 2022 F150, with 3.5-L V6 "Ecoboost" twin-turbo gas engine has (through the miracle of modern techno-magical advancements) more horsepower and torque and towing capacity then my 2000 F250 with 6.8-L V10 gas engine.

On a mostly-highway trip from Bend to/from the Oregon coast, my F150 (unloaded) got 23 mpg. My F250 (when unloaded) would get 14 mpg on the highway. I don't know yet what mileage I'll get when the F150 is towing the 4000-lb trailer. (But...even with the current crazy-high gas prices, the new $50,000 truck will never pay for itself by savings in fuel costs)

Driving the F150 is smoother than driving the F250, but it still feels like a truck. (there's no confusing it with the nimbleness of my little Hyundai Accent).
Turbo-charging gives the F150 an amazing amount of acceleration, if you step on it.

Back
Top Bottom