New Truck thoughts for 2011 Eagle

Yep back in the day they were called 2%ers. It's a problem here too and the FS has little money. When folks get caught dumping in the forest the fine is usually the offender has to pay for the boulders used to close the trail. We all pay in lost access.

This is a topic about what trucks are best for Eagle?

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Well in that case I sure hope it's my Isuzu that's best for my Eagle. But it's not new. But will be again soon.

Internet rule #3. Thread jacks are perfectly fine after post 7 as long as the thread eventually comes back to the original topic.This thread is now on page 7!

If it's not my Isuzu then I think the 1st gen Tundra would be an awesome truck for my Eagle but they aren't new either. Great fit and a v8. :p

Buckland unless you want to put your Eagle in a short box full sized truck I think there are only 3 small/mid sized trucks available in the US right now. Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, and Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon. I haven't really looked at new but last I heard the Ranger and Dakota are no longer in production at this time.

If I find that I want more than my Isuzu for my Eagle I'll probably look for a used '05, '06 Toyota Tundra. I'll look for a low mileage, rust free southern truck. They are out there. From the pics I've seen the Eagle fits nicely in the bed with little overhang to catch brush ect.
Personally I think an Eagle is a better fit in that truck than the Hawk. lighter too!

It is my understanding that my Eagle was a trade in at the RV place in FL and came in a Dodge Dakota. That's probably a nice fit but after the problems I had with a lemon Durango(same platform) I myself wouldn't touch one. Though I know some folks who love theirs.

If you've got the bucks one of these might be cool for an Eagle.
http://www.aev-conversions.com/vehicles/brute-double-cab

Thanks. I guess I am now narrowed down to either the Canyon or Tacoma (diesel or 6 cyl.) I prefer the small size truck and as soon as can arrange a test drive in both I will. Until then thanks for all the input and opinions.

buckland said:
Thanks. I guess I am now narrowed down to either the Canyon or Tacoma (diesel or 6 cyl.) I prefer the small size truck and as soon as can arrange a test drive in both I will. Until then thanks for all the input and opinions.
Consider also looking at and test driving the Nissan Frontier, a similar sized truck that is still available. If I was considering a newer replacement truck, I would take the time to look at all available. Best of luck with your search.

x2 on the Frontier. Lots of power. My best bud has one. It tows my bass boat like it's not even there. He's well over 150k miles with no major issues. It's basically a downsized Titan. Which is a nice truck.

x3 on the Nissan Frontier. I am about to get one as a daily driver. 2 years ago, I was cross shopping the Frontier and the Tacoma. I loved the simple, handsome looks of the frontier and the power was silk smooth. The MPG was average. The tacoma was needlessly overpriced and under-specced compared to the Fronty.
My wife made the final call. "The fronty just looks better, not angry or pissed off."

My cousin picked up a 2015 Frontier club cab 4x4 her big complaint is mileage. A good day is 18mpg typical is 15ish around town. But she got a god deal far better value than the pricy Tacoma. On the flip side I read some place that a recent Journalist spent some time with tge Diesel Colorado and was seeing 34mpg average. He seemed really impressed and wasnt expecting that kind of mileage. Waiting for the TFL guys to get their hands on one and doing their 100 mile tow test and Gauntlet run. The 100 mile tow test would probably give a sense of what one would see with a camper loaded on it.

Man I just 'hate' looking at stuff... mostly cause it's like seeing stuff that seems so darn expensive but I want it anyway...bad for the psyche to covet stuff.... but then again.... I am gonna be dead a long time so hey ... why not... now I just gotta save some $.

I agree... the more I look at the Chevy Colorado / GMC Canyon the more I like what I see and hear. Mileage, power, rear camera, towing, nice dash.... ( I was visiting my father in law in KY last week and he has a new Highlander ... rides great but the dash was hideous, gaudy and distracting light while driving on dark roads... If the Tacoma had it I would never buy one. I am expecting my Tacoma 2001 to last until next year...maybe longer (but man plans and God laughs) and if it does I might be able to get a deal on the end of the year prices though on second thought there won't be any to buy no doubt. Is there anyone out there that has a new diesel Colorado? I'd love to hear how long one has to wait to get it.

Attachments

• 2016_chevrolet_colorado (dragged).jpg
    2016_chevrolet_colorado (dragged).jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 2016_chevrolet_colorado (dragged) 1.jpg
    2016_chevrolet_colorado (dragged) 1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 113
  • 2016_chevrolet_colorado (dragged) 2.jpg
    2016_chevrolet_colorado (dragged) 2.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 104
Glad to see the topic discussed. My 2nd Dakota is approaching 300,000 miles (great truck, contra Squatch, but experiences on this model are all over the map, so to speak), and I have a suspicion that it won't last forever. Sniffed around a new '16 Tacoma on the lot today, and it seems solid. Not crazy about the composite bed and the extra effort/cost to get my Eagle tied down. But an earlier post mentioned Chevy trucks steering input, which I've noticed driving some of their vans years ago. Sorry, mushy steering or a lot of play in the wheel before a response on the ground, and no deal. So I hope to see some feedback from buckland or others in this column when some of us get experience with new Colorados and/or Tacomas, especially with regard to vehicle handling and other things that aren't listed in the specs. Thanks!

Time will indeed tell... my 01 Taco is holding on....motor will outlast body. Just have fingers crossed it lasts until I have a better idea...more owner reviews. The dealer in Western New England has me on a notification list for the diesel test drive.... she said they have not been notified by GM when a model is coming.... what is with that?! Knowing demand one would think they would flood the dealers.... ramp it up GM!

Maybe GM isn't the problem, quote from the link above:

"In the wake of Volkswagen’s emissions cheating, the EPA announced that it would be more stringent in its testing."

I liked the steering on the v6 Z1 I test drove. Actually was the one thing I noticed right away as being done well.

46 tottaly loaded isnt bad. Considering we paid 35 for a loaded 2016 fusion hybrid energy. But I think loaded should include cooled seats without the stupid Denali package.

Thanks for observations. Always good to get boots on ground opinion. 46K is out of my league but 40 K is a maybe. I look for a basic model... really no bells and whistles. I am used to the Taco jeep like ride so anything smooth will seem a luxury. Turning radius is a big thing . Having a standard equipment back up camera is real nice for camper parking.

Here's one I just recalled. The 2016 Tacoma I looked at had a 'fin' type antenna on the cab roof. From what I can tell looking at their website, that may be standard, but may also occur as part of an audio package (description doesn't say). Anyone have experience to know if the Eagle rides high enough over the cab to clear that thing? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom