New Truck thoughts for 2011 Eagle

Now that is good info. I have wondered about that clearance. I would have to tweak the box position I installed under the cabover but that is good news....wonduring if it could come off or a second fin installed on camper roof with an extension plug say at solar roof box?

I just use 3rd party antennas on the fenders in front on the windshield. The wiring harness to the shark fin also includes cabin lights, etc.; you'd have to take it apart to isolate the antenna parts. Easier just to replace the connection at the back of the in dash unit. There is a Lexus part that converts from the proprietary Toyota connector to a standard one.

Ya much simpler. Sometimes my ideas get outa control! If the fin is removed to fit camper .... is there a stock cover or does one need to fabricate?

I don't know of a stock cover, I never tried to remove mine since you have to pull the headliner to do it and I'm too lazy. ;)

I can see it would be nice to be gone if you wanted storage under the overhang, though.

Really interesting gear head level write up on the 2.8L GM diesel being put in the colorado and canyon. After reading it and owning several Toyotas, pretty sure GM put way more thought into its engineering than the current 3.5L its put into the Taco. When they announced the 3.5 I laughed like GM with its V6 car engines in trucks.

The 2.8 Diesel is really interesting. Its 100% truck focused from the start. Also looks like lots of thought was put into servicability. Something I feel Toyota has been dropping the ball on with 80-90k Timing belt services. I have one of those comming up this summer on my v8 yota. Not really too excited about it.
http://www.dieselworldmag.com/first-look-gms-2-8l-duramax-canyoncolorado-beyond/

Well, I took a test drive in both the 2016 diesel Colorado and the 2016 Tacoma 6 cylinder yesterday back to back. There is a lot to say in details but the end all is that (IMO) there was almost no comparison. In ever point I saw a decided difference in quality of build. The drive was also markedly smoother in the Colorado. I will say the Taco could scream when the petal went down... very fast pick up.

But here's the rub. Both trucks have a 20" bed depth. The Eagle is 17.5" to overhang. That is a problem. I have spent 4 years making my camper the way I like it and I do not want to sell it. So I assume someone out there has had the same issue and wonder if a small 3" platform made of 2x2's and plywood would offer enough security to fill the gap and lift the camper allowing overhang clearance. It's a drag to have to do this but the trucks are coming this way now. Also the shark fin antennae has a wand that screws out so could be arranged elsewhere with a little effort.

My uncle even with his 98 GMC had to do a spacer platform for his non fwc pop up. He had me do a bit of research. This is very very common in the camper world and seems to the norm vs the exception. The guys at FWC probably have a very good platform list of ideas for FWC owners.

Agreed that very first on the lot Colorado Z1 I took for a spin in 2015 really really impressed me regarding the steering feel, cabin comfort and ride quality. Very curious what you thought of the little diesel?

I drove the short box but they said they could get the long one. Now understand I drive a 4 cylinder Taco and anything faster than a mule is wind in the hair. The diesel had guts all over the band. at 60 I stepped on it and it flew. BUT I must say the 6 cyl. 2016 taco gas was a lot faster... that said the RPM's were insanely high to do it....not sure what they are thinking on that but future clutch problems come to mind. If I had to decide right now (this from a life long Toyota person) .... yup the Colorado.... just seems better everywhere I look..... down the road who the heck knows!

Fair enough. I think today all the engineering and build process even parts suppliers are so close between the brands it comes down to what you like and or price. My current Toyota suv really isnt anything special compared to the neighbors GMC I'm not brand loyal anymore. 5yrs ago I would say Toyota. Today mehh its a toss up. Ha.

GM is doing a better approach than most regarding their connectability with their center stack screen also by addopting proven and current 3rd party software for Iphones and Android. Wife has a 2016 Ford with the Ford Sync complete rubbish. Great car but the microsoft based tech center is complete junk and clearly a big issue for Ford.

Lots of bugs various functions work about 50% of the time. With the Hybrid plugin you can set off peak hour charging times, its hit or miss some times it starts charging when you plugin at 6pm even when you have it set to wait till 11pm when the EV cheap rate kicks in. Lots of connectivity bugs with the Iphone. My wife is a super tech geek and its by far her biggest gripe about the car. Sadly Ford has little say in how often bugs and updates get fixed. I can see it being ok with a truck as you wouldnt need to use some of its more advanced options but in a commuter car in Silicon Valley its pretty bad.

I am an Apple person. Use great mapping apps with iPad air. I have a GPS on dash. I download maps for off line GPS. very smooth easy use. Galileo (favorite), Gaia, PDF Maps, Topo Maps, Allstays and few others. I have a dash mounted holder for iPad and it is fantastic. Wife and I have stopped the 'map arguments' since we set it up.

As far as new truck with 2011 Eagle: I will have to raise the base as bed rails are higher. I wood suspect it is just a matter of 5 vertical 2"x 1.5" wood capped with a 1/2" ply heavily painted with deck paint. Oddly enough this might provide an opportunity. I could plumb in that space with a 1" drain pipe for a 20 Gallon grey water tank stored below couch (removable). This would allow me to camp on the National Seashore on Cape Cod which has very strict coast guard standards.

Not a bad idea Buckland. I can see the self contained rules being pretty tough in some locations and that would sure make it easier to avoid unwanted attention.

Received a great bunch of photos from Stan FWC on the way either they adjust the base to deal with a curve at the base of the bed and tailgate as well as some shots of the 'platforms' some folks have made to boost it up a couple inches. If anyone needs I could post.

Some FWC shots

Attachments

• Canyon Rear Fit.jpg
    Canyon Rear Fit.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 115
  • Chevy 07 08 with rounded tail gate opening.jpg
    Chevy 07 08 with rounded tail gate opening.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 113
  • Chevy Truck Bed #1.jpg
    Chevy Truck Bed #1.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 114
  • Chevy Truck Bed #2.jpg
    Chevy Truck Bed #2.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0070.jpg
    IMG_0070.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0071.jpg
    IMG_0071.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0072.jpg
    IMG_0072.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 121
  • Wood Platform Sample Under Camper 2.jpg
    Wood Platform Sample Under Camper 2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 119
  • Wood Platform Sample Under Camper 5.jpg
    Wood Platform Sample Under Camper 5.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 130
Okay... Decided to start the hunt at the dealers. There are five Chevy places within an hour radius (advantage of living near the borders of three states). There is a huge price difference between the gas 6 cylinder (also available in ext. cab) and the crew cab Diesel.
I am leaning towards the Duramax diesel mostly as the 31 MPG is great with 650 miles to the tank. It won't even break in for 150000 miles. The 6 cylinders gas is probably more than enough power for the Eagle with 24 MPG has 500 mile range. This will probably be my 'last truck' ...just being practical... but being undecided. It comes down to price. Gas easily paid off a year ahead of the diesel for loans.

I am looking to hear strong opinions one way or the other as once I decide I won't look back. I know all decisions are made on insufficient data.....so looking for a push.

One last question: I have a 2001 extended cab 4WD in good shape with 144,000 miles on it. It has new bumpers, new frame, brake lines and brakes. Firestone air bags and an extra leaf. Is clean inside. What does one think I could expect in a trade in....... or what is a decent price to sell on y own?

Back
Top Bottom