NEW, USED 1990 GRANDBY

4x4RV

Hey, everyone..
I've gone from tent trailer to class c rv to fwc

since I found a 85 gmc 3/4 4x4 with 80k original miles
a slide in camper has been on the mind...

all because of this forum..
thanks for all of your input..

Oh also thanks to the guy who posted up the 90 grandby on e-bay
turned out it was in weiser idaho just 1.5 hour away from Boise
the camper is in pretty good shape, I think it wasn't used much
it also wasn't taken care of the way I would have liked, but mostly
its in very good shape.
The only major task I have is a lift panel replacement, I think
the condensation and or possible leak at the front of the roof caused
the lift panel to rot out, the rivets rusted and the wood failed
the rivets pulled out and took the hinge with it and then when the top
was down it started cutting little slits in the vinyl surround (I have repaired with VLP)
So, here is the big question I have been thinking of a different panel design
to simplify things a bit. One panel with one hinge on the bottom and on the top of the
panel some soft material to slide up on some skids in the rafters and a spring lock of some kind
to hold in place, there would be less hinges and less chance for damage to the vinyl.. considering
making it out of a sheet of 3/8's plastic..
any thoughts or anyone with experience with this issue would be greatly appreciated..
loving the camper so far..
cheers to all..
Jon

Attachments

• DSC05357.jpg
    DSC05357.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 294
  • DSC05431.jpg
    DSC05431.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 271
Welcome RV!

Sorry I can't help you with the lift problem but I would like to compliment you on your truck. It looks like it is in great shape. As you can see I'm also partial to early 80s GM trucks. Mine is a 83 and I bought new along with a FWC Granby when they were manufactured here in Denver. I no longer have the camper but the truck is still trucking. I really need a crew cab though and probably will have to sell my baby.

Good luck with your camper.

Attachments

• K20_pass side.jpg
    K20_pass side.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 170
Welcome RV!

Sorry I can't help you with the lift problem but I would like to compliment you on your truck. It looks like it is in great shape. As you can see I'm also partial to early 80s GM trucks. Mine is a 83 and I bought new along with a FWC Granby when they were manufactured here in Denver. I no longer have the camper but the truck is still trucking. I really need a crew cab though and probably will have to sell my baby.

Good luck with your camper.

Thanks, I think this truck was a once in a lifetime find..
bought it from the second owner and he bought it in 96" with 42k on it..
I've told folks what I paid for the truck and they asked if I was wearing a cape :LOL:
gotta love the old chevys..

everybody gets so caught up with miles per gallon..
I think dollars per mile

Your truck is darn pretty..
are those 8 hole wheels?, (what brand)..

wow a crewcab 4by.. don't see to many of those..
I'll keep an eye out.. there are alot of dry trucks here in Idaho

Mods to camper that I am considering..
Back up lights with toggle switch in cab
led replacement bulbs for interior lights
a haulmaster hitch extender step, then run a thule t2 bike rack off that..
radiant heater, poss little buddy?
Zodi extreme shower setup
luggage rack for rocket box or soft bag

would love to here some favorite mods from everyone..

I think I found the perfect camper truck RV setup...

Cheers, from Boise..

Thanks, I think this truck was a once in a lifetime find..
bought it from the second owner and he bought it in 96" with 42k on it..
I've told folks what I paid for the truck and they asked if I was wearing a cape :LOL:
gotta love the old chevys..

everybody gets so caught up with miles per gallon..
I think dollars per mile

Your truck is darn pretty..
are those 8 hole wheels?, (what brand)..

wow a crewcab 4by.. don't see to many of those..
I'll keep an eye out.. there are alot of dry trucks here in Idaho

Cheers, from Boise..

here is another pic of my first trip in the camper
Sunset in the Camas Prairie

Attachments

• TRUCK AND BIKE 003.jpg
    TRUCK AND BIKE 003.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 207
  • TRUCK AND BIKE 004.jpg
    TRUCK AND BIKE 004.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 181
RV,

I feel your pain with the mpg on these old timers. Mine seems to get about 10 up hill or down.

The rims are American Eagle and are 8 hole (K20 3/4 ton).

The crew cab I am looking at will be a new GMC 2500 (like the looks of the front end better than the Chevy).

Don't have a Zodi yet but that seems to be the most popular solution. Myself, I would worry about using an unvented heater. My old Grandby had the factory furnace and it worked great (except for the door/screen opening into the furnace vent and melting the screen).

I see no one has jumped in about your problem with the lift. You might contact Stan at FWC or the boys at ATC. Both companies are great and should be able to help you out.

Good luck.

Cheers, from Boise..

LEDs are a nice 12v saver, I bought some replacements that pop into the existing sockets but can't find them anymore. Need some for my toyhauler now. I have the hitch extender but modified it with a bigger rubber covered platform, dogs love it. I love the Wave 3 heater, need to leave a vent open, one high and one low, uses no 12v and very propane efficient.
Some of the little buddies don't work well at high elevations so check that if you intend to go up :) I had the same issue with the front panel and bit the bullet and got FWC to replace it. I like what you said, not mpg but overall costs.

RV,

I feel your pain with the mpg on these old timers. Mine seems to get about 10 up hill or down.

The rims are American Eagle and are 8 hole (K20 3/4 ton).

The crew cab I am looking at will be a new GMC 2500 (like the looks of the front end better than the Chevy).

Don't have a Zodi yet but that seems to be the most popular solution. Myself, I would worry about using an unvented heater. My old Grandby had the factory furnace and it worked great (except for the door/screen opening into the furnace vent and melting the screen).

I see no one has jumped in about your problem with the lift. You might contact Stan at FWC or the boys at ATC. Both companies are great and should be able to help you out.

Good luck.

Yes I should call Stan, may build a new panel and simplify it a bit.. and see how it works
I'll see what he has to say about it..

I like the wheels but also like the stock look of the truck, not sure what I'll do there

what did the wheels cost?

looking at a heater that we can use over winter for backcountry skiing
so it sounds like the little buddy might not be the right choice for higher elevation
furnace in the camper works great but interested in something that doesn't draw off the battery

Good luck with the new pickup I'd love a new rig
are you looking at a diesel truck? mpg+

LEDs are a nice 12v saver, I bought some replacements that pop into the existing sockets but can't find them anymore. Need some for my toyhauler now. I have the hitch extender but modified it with a bigger rubber covered platform, dogs love it. I love the Wave 3 heater, need to leave a vent open, one high and one low, uses no 12v and very propane efficient.
Some of the little buddies don't work well at high elevations so check that if you intend to go up :) I had the same issue with the front panel and bit the bullet and got FWC to replace it. I like what you said, not mpg but overall costs.

I thought these guys had em http://jclampstand.com/index.php?md=products
are they out of stock?

I think the group 27 deep cycle batt should provide power for 3 or 4 days running lights ect..

maybe not as long running the heater every night up in the mountains (maybe 2-3 nights??)

(considering installing another group 27 in phase with the one under the hood

Soon to install a isolator setup

thanks for the heads up on higher elevation, thats where I need it to work..

love to see pics of the step mod you did..

I'll look into the wave heater, sounds good..

yea dollars per mile instead of miles per gallon..
it really is true..

Cheers,

I thought these guys had em http://jclampstand.com/index.php?md=products
are they out of stock?

I'll check that, thanks.

maybe not as long running the heater every night up in the mountains (maybe 2-3 nights??)

Mine didn't want to last that long, remember when it is cold that battery can't put out as well.

love to see pics of the step mod you did..

I have a couple different ones, the second is mounted on a Harbor Freight motorcycle carrier and as you can see is a step and cargo carrier.
913289091_EP8JW-S.jpg

980124007_b4NHD-S.jpg

I'll look into the wave heater, sounds good..

The Wave 6 is on sale at AdventureRV.net right now, that may be too much!

yea dollars per mile instead of miles per gallon..
it really is true..

Cheers,

I have an older Olympian catalytic heater that is about the size of the Wave 6. It has worked great for us in both our old camper and our current FWC. Just follow the directions and vent properly. Remember, any combustion device whether furnace, stove or lantern can deplete oxygen or produce CO under the right (or maybe wrong) conditions. It's best to provide some venting when any combustion device is in use.

Back
Top Bottom