New Years Eve Overnighter

SunMan

King Taco
Another quick trip report.
Took off on NYE with the little woman to the Lockwood Valley area of the Los Padres Nat'l Forest for an overnighter. Explored a few areas I'd never been to along the way to our final destination...

Pic 1: The OHV trail near Dome Springs
Pic 2: The West Frazier Mine OHV Road
Pic 3: Near Miller Jeep Trail Head
Pic 4: Water Crossing to Halfmoon/Mutau Flats
Pic 5: Camped for the night at Thorn Meadows

Most of this area had been burned severely by the Day Fire a year ago. Nice to see some new growth setting in. Didn't see a soul in any of the campgrounds, a beautiful night but cold, I'd say prolly in mid 20's, but nice and cozy in the Hawk!! Hope you enjoy.

Happy 2008 Everybody.

Attachments

• dome springs.jpg
    dome springs.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 423
  • frazier.jpg
    frazier.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 425
  • ranch.jpg
    ranch.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 419
  • waterxing.jpg
    waterxing.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 411
  • camped.jpg
    camped.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 425
Pictures don't seem to convey the true terrain

I've been in that area, though maybe not those spots (I've long since used up the paper map of that area that I kept notes no, but the river crossing looks familiar). I find that pictures don't do a good job of showing the true terrain. In which case, it looks like it was a fun drive in!

Edo,
I hadn't been back there in awhile either, used to backpack out of Halfmoon area down to the Sespe as a kid. Definitely a fun drive. Pics never seem to do it justice. Attaching a few more of the Miller Jeep Trail, about 10 mile East as the crow flys of where we camped...I opted out of this one solo. :D

Attachments

• miller1.jpg
    miller1.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 316
  • miller2.jpg
    miller2.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 319
  • miller3.jpg
    miller3.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 332
  • grade valley.jpg
    grade valley.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 325
Never done the miller jeep trail, but from what i"ve heard I don't think I'd take my truck on it.

awesome pics, way to get after it. love the tundra/fwc combo!

Sunman,
Your Rig is looking quite at home out there. Thanks for the write up and nice Pics. Did you enter through Frazier Park ??? How many miles was that from the concrete jungle. Looking to make a trip like that real soon.

Thanks,

Marc

Thanks for the comments Marc, it sure felt nice to have the luxury of the FWC out there.
Yes, entered on the Frazier Park side, we came in from HWY 33, but it's roughly about the same distance from HWY 5. It took me 2 hours to get home without too much screwing around, HWY 33 is a VERY curvy road. Wasn't really keeping track but I'd guess ~90-100 miles from Oxnard/Ventura.

Back
Top Bottom