Newbee 4W "Fleet" owner: our p/u cargo wt. rating?

scappoosebrad

Advanced Member
Again, taking delivery 12/16 of a "Fleet" 4W camper to fit on 93 Nissan 4x4 SE V-6 King Cab... during my first year I owned the truck someone side swiped me... I had body work done to the driver's side/door and "lost" the vehicle certification label on the driver's door lock pillar where the "weight ratings" label (both GAWR and GVWR) was attached.

Have asked a local Nissan dealer to locate these numbers, but he was unable to find them on his computer or even directly from Nissan (can't believe it, but he tried to 2 days to locate)... need to get these numbers...

Does any 4W Camper member have a similar year/model Nissan as we do? If so, could you post the info/#s listed on your truck about GAWR and GVWR? Ideally, I would love to get a photo of that sticker... thanks in advance if a fellow Nissan owner is out there and can share this info...

p.s. my other option might be to contact / visit local auto wrecking companies with a similar vehicle in their yard

Alley-Kat,
Thanks for reference... I looked closely against my own paperwork...it is close but not sure this is for my model...one give away was it listed 14" rims / 75R14 tires... my model came/lists 15" rims / 75R15 tires... and the model info on the photo is not recognized (EHLG-FBU)... on my original sticker it lists a "model code" 53853" and "model" 1993.5 4x4 SE-V6 KING CAB...

Appreciate the search...let me know if you come up with anything else .... thanks again...

Go here;

http://www.kbb.com/nissan/king-cab/1994/se-specifications/?vehicleid=9616&intent=buy-used&mileage=157994&condition=good&pricetype=private-party&persistedcondition=good&spec_group=tech#spec-table

Your GVW is probably about 5200# and your "payload" is probably about 1400#, depending upon options and 2WD VS 4WD. From your post about tires, you will be over your GVW, probably by a few hundred pounds. Most compact/midsize trucks will show a "payload" of 1400-1500#. This does not include options, driver/passenger(s) or gasoline, which will be 250-400#.

That's why they're called...wait for it..............1/2 Ton trucks. :D

This has not kept countless compact/midsize truck owners of all brands from putting fully equipped 4WC Fleets on their trucks. Nor has it kept them from adding children, dogs, copious quantities of frosty beverages, canned and frozen food, tools, huge steel front/rear bumpers, tire mounts, winches, fuel/water cans, hi-lift jacks, kayaks, bicycles, generators, and God knows what else to their trucks. They have accepted the increased wear on everything in their trucks including chassis, brakes, bearings, shocks, and drivetrains. Speaking of brakes, these trucks Gross Combined Weight Rating is usually 6-7000#, so they're generally capable of stopping our truck/camper combos, although with longer stopping distances than the truck alone.

Like the man who jumped from the roof of a skyscraper said as he passed each floor; "So far, so good".

Scud,
thanks for website reference ... yes, the 1400# bed wt. is what my manual says, but still looking for the sticker info which will include all the gvwr/gawr numbers--total, front, rear... last night I joined a Nissan owners chat site...will be posting a question there... maybe I will get lucky.

and yes, I share your concerns about 1/2 vs 3/4 ton p/u payload levels... that was why we looked carefully at the 4W/Fleet wt... so far I have come up with a dry wt. delivered total (w/ add ons) of 1225#s plus liquids/gear... we will be around or just over the listed 1400#...

Thanks again for your post...

Brad

Brad,

You are welcome. I also used the 4WC weight estimates and figured about 1200# dry (over the phone they said "about 1100#"). My MSO stated 1350#; adding 2nd battery brought it to 1400+. Let us know what your MSO reads when you get your camper.

Cheers,
Scott

Hi, I must admit I'm a little alarmed at the numbers being posted. I too have a Nissan (2004 Frontier) with 1100 lbs payload after full gas tank, myself and dog. Base fleet is listed at 845 lbs. I calculated about 940 with furnace, powered vent, Yakima complete roof racks, thermal pack, struts and 20lbs propane. How are people jumping to 1200 -1350 lbs and beyond? Are factory posted weights that inaccurate?
I have not purchased a camper yet.
thx
Karl

I really don't know how FWC comes up with the 'base' numbers they post, and I find it a little deceptive that the when you add up the "base number" and the "options" you generally come up with a number much lower than the shipping weight.

That said, although our FWC came in significantly heavier than what I had calculated and their 'estimate', our Tacoma with upgraded suspensions seems to handle the weight just fine over the couple thousand miles we have put on ours so far.

waldec said:
Hi, I must admit I'm a little alarmed at the numbers being posted. I too have a Nissan (2004 Frontier) with 1100 lbs payload after full gas tank, myself and dog. Base fleet is listed at 845 lbs. I calculated about 940 with furnace, powered vent, Yakima complete roof racks, thermal pack, struts and 20lbs propane. How are people jumping to 1200 -1350 lbs and beyond? Are factory posted weights that inaccurate?
I have not purchased a camper yet.
thx
Karl

I've always wanted to pull into one of the truck inspection areas and get weighed (not sure they'd like that) and just see what my actual truck + camper + dog + people + gear actually weighs. Maybe I'll go to the landfill and get on their scale and then just turn around and come out. Maybe we should post actual numbers somewhere or some 'sticky' thread? I know what my camper said it weighed but I've added other things, taken out some, etc. Things that add up: new floor, countertop, thicker mattress pad, battery, supplies, etc.

waldec; here's my weight info
Vic Harder; these are dry weights, before beer & ice cream
kmcintyre; +1 on the sticky

2016 FWC Fleet front dinette dry weight estimate

Base, with one 12V battery 845# (4WC Appliances & Options pdf) Mechanical jacks 100# (4WC Appliances & Options pdf) Aluminum jack bracket 3# (4WC Appliances & Options pdf) Furnace system 25# Extra roof vent 6 (4WC Appliances & Options pdf) Batwing awning 29# (13kg per Eezi-Awn site) Rear flood lights LED 3# (4WC Appliances & Options pdf) Thermal Pack 5# (4WC Appliances & Options pdf) Exterior gas strut lift assist 7# (4WC Appliances & Options pdf) Fantastic roof fan 8# (4WC Appliances & Options pdf) 6# gal dsi WH/outside shower 70# (4WC Appliances & Options pdf) Exterior RV lighting 2# (4WC Appliances & Options pdf) Yakima tracks 5# (4WC Appliances & Options pdf) Rear wall steps 5# (4WC Appliances & Options pdf) 85 liter compressor fridge add to stock 1.7 fridge wt 25# (4WC Appliances & Options pdf) Add for front dinette 50# (per telecons w/4WC).
Estimated total weight (1100# verbal estimate from 4WC) = 1188#

The MSO states 1350#. I have no idea where the additional weight came from. Removing the stock 12V battery & replacing with two 6V AGMs adds 87#. With full propane & 15 gal of water it adds 1500# to the truck scale weight, without food and gear. Most folks remove the jacks, which weigh 100#, but I have not.

Most RV manufacturers past estimated weight and capacities info someplace inside the RV cabinetry. The Manufacturers Statement of Origin is the only place I could find weight information for my build.

I would second (or is it third at this point) the call for an 'actual weight' sticky. My weight estimate for my mostly optioned Fleet Flatbed based on the listed dry weights and option weights on their website was 1150lbs. The weight estimate from their dealer was ~1300lb, and the actual shipping weight was 1500lb.

About using truck inspection stations for checking truck / camper wts....we have one about a mile down the road from us on Hwy 30...it is only open 1 or 2 days out of the week it appears...any time it is closed, the scale remains "on"...no problem pulling up the scale and weighing in... they are usually empty... I have used our local station several times checking truck/boat weights, etc... I plan on using our local station on our empty p/u (prior to getting our Fleet installed) and after install ... will even try to get front/rear axle weights and see what I get--not sure how specific one can get using these scales, but worth a try...

Once I get my sticker weights (still searching for these via this chat site and a Nissan chat site), I will have a basis of comparison...

I would give your local truck inspection station a try when they are closed...or if concerned stop by when open and ask the staff person about their use when "closed"...good luck

You can go to any commercial Cat Scale, drive up on the scale, hit the speaker and tell them you are private pick-up/camper, get weighed and go in pay you $10 and get the weight ticket. I did it with an empty truck and full tank, and have stopped with a fully loaded camper, full tank and my wife and dog.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

SCUD,

I like your Reply . you are so correct. When we (meaning me-wife doesn't do the desert) go to the Saline hot springs for a week the rig weighs 6200 pounds plus the 2000 pound plus Samurai I have been flat towing in the last several years.

Scap....Brad

if you drive conservatively after putting "E" range tires on it and downshift on the off-ramps (saves the brakes) you should have many years of good use out of the truck.

And by the way...Welcome to the family.

Since you are taking delivery in December, contact the factory in Woodland and get on the list to attend the factory Rally near Santa Rosa end of April next year.

kmcintyre,

Stop into any truck weight station (when they're closed) the next time you come across the border into Oregon. The scales are still on and you have the added benefit of taking your time weighting each axle separately and together.

Well, I finally got the wts. info I have searched for on my 93 Nissan SE-V6 King Cab 4x4/5sp p/u wts. ala this thread:

yesterday, I found what appears the twin of my truck ala Car Garu search site...at a Salem OR used car dealer...he sent me a photo of the sticker on the driver's side column... so I guess I am "home free" with the info I needed...

am pleasantly surprised that the GVWR--5200/ GAWR FR--2500 and GAWR-RR-- 2800...

got the dealer on the phone...just told him my actual problem and he immediately walked out to the truck during my call, took a photo, and returned to his office to copy down my email address before he ended the call...nice guy who just said, "I have been in the same spot as you"... he even called my back 5 minutes later when his Iphone said it didn't connect to my email, but told him all 3 attempts appeared on my email "in box" w/ an attached photo of the "sticker"...wow...people do come through ...

thanks one and all for your help... can now move on to my next truck/camper item... have to say, I got the best feedback from 2 or 3 used car dealers I called during my search... not a bad approach if you need info about your truck...

Back
Top Bottom