Newbie need help with Mounting Hard side to Tacoma

JoshWilliams

Hi all I'm new here. Need help with mounting points and turnbuckle setups.

I just found a hard side camper for my 08' double cab short bed tacoma I will be picking it up in two weeks. How do I go about picking an attachment set up? Looks like torklift is the biggest and best but also most expensive. I'm on a pretty tight budget for the time being but need some help with my camper mounting options. Want to be safe and sturdy without breaking the bank.

Any leads/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
-Josh

PS actually not sure what kind of camper it is I will also need help IDing the camper once I get some pictures to load...

http://reno.craigslist.org/rvs/5969517031.html

Here is the camper will be going on a 2008, 2WD, 4D Shortbed TRD Off road

Josh:

Lots of views of this thread but I'll be the first to comment, ummm. I don't think that this combination will be safe on the road.

Check your vehicle gross weight limit, subtract what the truck weighs, subtract the weight of camping equipment, water fuel, and passengers, then subtract from that the weight of the camper, I don't think that you'll be in a safe place, probably over loaded.

Just my opinion.

Bill

BILL98388 said:
I don't think that this combination will be safe on the road.
I agree Bill....I didn't comment because I hated to rain on your parade Josh.

Take another look at that CL photo. The center of gravity of that camper is behind the rear wheels and that will compound your handling problems. I think your Toy only has about 1,300 pounds of payload capacity and you will surely exceed that by a large margin with a wood framed hard side and your gear/stuff, water, passengers etc etc.

If your bound and determined to continue I would suggest you post this over at: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/27.cfm
There many more hard side owners over on that forum with tie down suggestions and camper id thoughts. Beware though the weight police will probably be out in force.

If you have a Tacoma with the shorter 5.0' truck bed, almost ALL of the camper weight will be behind the rear axle.

:(

Be prepared to add a set of new "E Rated" truck tires, and also add a very stiff rear suspension upgrade to the truck, so the truck can at least be sitting somewhat level.

Just my opinion, maybe look for something a bit smaller, shorter, and lighter weight ?

I know, I know, the smaller, lighter weight campers are harder to find and more expensive.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Josh, I'll add my own warnings to those above. That camper will severely compromise the handling and ride of your Tacoma, no matter what modifications you make to the suspension.

Have to add to the be cautious thread here. You will find many threads here on upgrading our Tacoma to handle well with the light weight pop up campers which push GVW. This camper will be both heavier and have a higher and further to the rear center of gravity which is a mean combination. Tires, shocks, springs/air bags and brakes may not be enough of an upgrade for you to be safe with that.

Thanks to all for the feedback and honesty. I will look at the other forum for some answers as well. I have already moved forward with the purchase of the camper and installation of frame mounted torklift mounts. It will now be a matter of going to the scales and operating on a strict weight regimen. I did a bunch of research and found the following from Toyota's product info for this truck.

Curb weight - 3865 (oil and fuel but no humans, dogs or cargo)
GVWR - 5350
Payload - 1540 (seems to be wrong though should be 1485 based on math above...)

The big question remaining is the camper weight and make/model for that matter. Again, thank you all for your responses. I am going to move forward but carefully.

What did you end up weighing this rig to be? I have a Palomino pop up camper on my 6ft box 4x4 tacoma and weighed it loaded up, with me in it at 5800lbs. My gvwr is 5480. Not sure that I can shave 300lbs off the weight.

alijabosdotcom said:
What did you end up weighing this rig to be? I have a Palomino pop up camper on my 6ft box 4x4 tacoma and weighed it loaded up, with me in it at 5800lbs. My gvwr is 5480. Not sure that I can shave 300lbs off the weight.
Welcome to the group. What modifications did you do to your truck suspension?
Frank

Back
Top Bottom