Newby With Vintage Fleet Survives Severe Sandstorm

John C

Advanced Member
Hi folks,
I have lurked here for a while and asked a q or 2 before and since getting my FWC but this is my first real post. I got my 80s vintage fleet in September so thanksgiving (my favorite holiday, so many more turkeys off the street!) was the first real shakedown (and shake we did!) I left SD wed PM towing an open trailer with a tube frame sand buggy and a couple quads and met some friends at the base of Superstition mountain, about 110 miles east of San Diego on the edge of the Anza-Borrego desert.
Thursday and most of Friday were great fun but the wind started to pick up around sundown Friday. By 8pm the winds were a solid 20-25 kts and the sand was beginning to become really annoying. We hunkered down in one of the bigger toy haulers and played cards and told lies. At around 11 or so I went back to my unit to turn in. At this time the wind was up over 30kts solid and vis was down to about 50 yds due to the blowing sand. I turned in and hoped for the best. At about 3 am the wind was so noisy (a cross between a whistle and a howl which grew to a shriek) and gusts were shaking the truck like an earthquake. I briefly considered dropping the top to reduce my sail area but quickly realized I would not be able to control it once the supports were down long enough to get all 6 clamps on (I also was somewhat apprehensive about stepping out into a sandblaster) So I stayed put and held on. At about sunrise the wind abated and I was able to get some sleep (however at this point I and the inside of the camper were coated with a pretty significant layer of very fine sand (about the consistency of talcum powder) which had filtered through the canvas.

Other than a few camp tables and chairs which blew away and disappeared there was no other damage.

Today I am cleaning out a camper full of sand.

Sorry, no pics, my camera was one of the first casualties of the sandstorm.

Hi folks,
I have lurked here for a while and asked a q or 2 before and since getting my FWC but this is my first real post. I got my 80s vintage fleet in September so thanksgiving (my favorite holiday, so many more turkeys off the street!) was the first real shakedown (and shake we did!) I left SD wed PM towing an open trailer with a tube frame sand buggy and a couple quads and met some friends at the base of Superstition mountain, about 110 miles east of San Diego on the edge of the Anza-Borrego desert.
Thursday and most of Friday were great fun but the wind started to pick up around sundown Friday. By 8pm the winds were a solid 20-25 kts and the sand was beginning to become really annoying. We hunkered down in one of the bigger toy haulers and played cards and told lies. At around 11 or so I went back to my unit to turn in. At this time the wind was up over 30kts solid and vis was down to about 50 yds due to the blowing sand. I turned in and hoped for the best. At about 3 am the wind was so noisy (a cross between a whistle and a howl which grew to a shriek) and gusts were shaking the truck like an earthquake. I briefly considered dropping the top to reduce my sail area but quickly realized I would not be able to control it once the supports were down long enough to get all 6 clamps on (I also was somewhat apprehensive about stepping out into a sandblaster) So I stayed put and held on. At about sunrise the wind abated and I was able to get some sleep (however at this point I and the inside of the camper were coated with a pretty significant layer of very fine sand (about the consistency of talcum powder) which had filtered through the canvas.

Other than a few camp tables and chairs which blew away and disappeared there was no other damage.

Today I am cleaning out a camper full of sand.

Sorry, no pics, my camera was one of the first casualties of the sandstorm.

Sounds like fun :eek: When you said you left SD I first thought you had made the trip from South Dakota! I had a screen tent relocated 1/2 mile this summer at the Eureka gathering. Love Holidays where you get to ride rather than look at relatives you may not be too fond of :D . So where exactly did you base camp. I just acquired a quad and have dirt bikes and was looking to ride by Anzo B.

Superstition Mtn is in BLM land but it is sandwiched between 2 active military ranges. it is much closer to San Diego than Glamis (lots smaller and less crazy, more family friendly, you dont need paddles but there is deep sand if you want that) best way is probably to take Huff Rd off of Evan Hewes (which runs parallel to I 8. Wheeler Rd can get you pretty close to the mtn on the south side off of Huff (North Side of superstition is an active Navy weapons range and therefore restricted, but the borders are well marked) Wheeler loops back to Huff but there are pretty good trails off of it which go deeper into the A-B to the west. Take lots of water.

Gnarly. Imagine if you were in a tent.

You say vintage Fleet...is your canvas aged and thinning?

Superstition Mtn is in BLM land but it is sandwiched between 2 active military ranges. it is much closer to San Diego than Glamis (lots smaller and less crazy, more family friendly, you dont need paddles but there is deep sand if you want that) best way is probably to take Huff Rd off of Evan Hewes (which runs parallel to I 8. Wheeler Rd can get you pretty close to the mtn on the south side off of Huff (North Side of superstition is an active Navy weapons range and therefore restricted, but the borders are well marked) Wheeler loops back to Huff but there are pretty good trails off of it which go deeper into the A-B to the west. Take lots of water.

Thanks for the info. As Sunman said, better than being in a tent. Good time to have an interior bathroom, don't want to sandblast any parts :(

There's military everywhere. In Saline the Fighters blast through at "tree" top level. In the Kofas its the same punctuated with a few artillary explosions. Adapt and adjust as they used to tell me in '68.

Aged and thinning? Well, not as much as me and my hair :) Actually the canvas is in good shape (was anyway, until this happened)

First thing I did mon was to rinse the entire exterior aggressively. I will follow that up with a major scrubbin. I also removed the truck's engine air filter element and shook out a pretty good bit of sand.

Aanyone have any recommendations on what kind of detergent to use/not use on the canvas? I know dish soap will strip the wax off the truck paint, but what kind of soap is good (or not good) for the canvas ?

I wouldn't worry about the soap too much as long as you follow up with a good dose of 303.

Back
Top Bottom