nikon 200-500

kpredator

hello
has anyone shot with one of these lenses?
reviews seem good overall.
might be my next lens
thanks
kp

kp, a number of my photographer buddies are shooting the 200-500, and are very happy it. I prefer primes, but this seems to bea great, affordable lens.

I picked one up about a month ago and have been playing with it.
So far I'm very happy but this is a large lens! A tripod is almost a necessity...

I picked one up last summer and love it. Sure, I'd rather have a prime but ut does a pretty good job and allows me to capture things that I wouldn't otherwise be able to reach. It will also take a 1.4 TC.

smlobx said:
I picked one up about a month ago and have been playing with it.
So far I'm very happy but this is a large lens! A tripod is almost a necessity...
Google “Long lens technique”. There are some good tips on how to handhold a super telephoto lens. I like Moose Peterson’s style.

For use on a tripod, I find a gimbal head to be most effective. There are a bunch of good ones. I use a Wimberley, but there are others equally good, and less expensive.

I have one of those. Great lens! Can't go wrong for the money. Got a 500 F4 to sell if anyone is interested. It's a beast and the 200-500 is way easier to handle :)

I just got back from almost a month long overlanding trip to Botswana (which was my primary reason for purchasing this lenses) and I have to say after I got the lens and camera set up properly that I was able to take some great shots of the fauna without having to use a tripod.
I hope to post some pictures showing the capability of this lens shortly...

Back
Top Bottom