No-Destination is heading North-Westerly!

hoyden

Lady Bug
We're going back on the road!

This time, more of a North-westerly direction because it's too damn hot in my beloved Southwest.
I've got an opportunity to work remotely for a couple of months, so I'm taking advantage of this and going explorin'
1f603.png

I'm considering landing in Albuquerque for a while. (hey Bosque Bill!)

:-First stop is southern Illinois to visit mom and old friends, then north.
I'm thinking of heading up through North Dakota on I-90 (visit the Minuteman Missile Visitor Center, Badlands, Crazy Horse Memorial), over to Wyoming for the giant mashed potato mountain...er Devil's Tower (it means something!),
maybe drop down to Castle Gardens Petroglyphs, then over to Grand Tetons and Yellowstone.
Then make my way up to Glacier National Park
and make my way over to visit friends in Spokane and other places in Washington state.
SUGGESTIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS
on boondocking, eateries, must sees, watch outs! etc. are most welcome!

I'll be posting on my blog/FB/link on Twitter/Instagram with photos, musings, and ramblings!
(and here too as time/connectivity permits :) )
FB Page: Log into Facebook
Website (you can subscribe to): no destination
Twitter: x.com

(I've got a YouTube channel, but need to make it more functional.
Will post up once it's ready!)

Argos and Sully, getting ready to go Adventure! (hope the pic shows up!)

CS7Sp9rlS6btaNAsjiLgLAxjr_Dbc_uKS4Gl7PBO3bxpqIEd8lWxqvTWo_W0k01mFv-wwvQbMCAi8nQD7D11b0HMh4Yckjm463lgem1iCN0SBTgyLZqTC84pjxMu6EyGOjwAZpqaOEfE0eqctZbcbh2-crwBboJPjA5Lse3ckrNNz75PL8s8GILj5h3dKgrca_XFn34d8FU_3yvMVjUihNKYhwWbmEuQNcetzVUSIljov12iCJstKOYb55-nduRA1hG_9kMivodQUVst58qkk5iOchPOcUZO0qAtvELpil4-dy9tNA3i4iI43HpgK7aYPcbyla1SddtH-kw-Xx9y7qeA2i-bNlNxEvjXx3Hs7AC_Xhbh2ysEjLzAhXwJzdOt1wMeIYBER2QxfHI5Q9tJTRhTPuwElFY1HnrRcriyC2J-tRh8dZik9sgQkp-JHLgTpNCPnursLHGblivgSbYuD6g4XrqjdfyrS9yl0g2Dd7_LY5m-oSfb6s1QYX93sbtdzHtDLkCL_DCv5WdTj0xzHXZM57oDzlzXpvJ1fvHCSTGFlt_-QDaXbyo355P_3j2kLwtK_kK0ZyYiPHLCOychkeUDT6ksFpgaJXy4Iw3Q=w1080-h810-no

kpxgokVhMjyBvXFh6

Greetings,

Remember it can be mighty hot in the West during summer.....but it is s dry heat.

The Northwest is worth a visit !

Happy trails.

David Graves

Hi David -

Yeah, I lived in Phoenix for 5 years, and Prescott for 3 years. I miss the Southwest, but hot hot hot this time of year!

I need to check temps in S. Dakota, Wy and Montana cuz I don't really know their climates at all.
I thought "hey, they are north, they should be cooler."
No?

hoyden said:
. . .
No?
It was 107ºF heat index in Minneapolis yesterday. You need to go up in altitude or by big water (68º in Duluth by the lake right now) to get cooler temps.

hoyden said:
Hi David -

Yeah, I lived in Phoenix for 5 years, and Prescott for 3 years. I miss the Southwest, but hot hot hot this time of year!

I need to check temps in S. Dakota, Wy and Montana cuz I don't really know their climates at all.
No?
Hi

Yes....it might be great to get away from the midwest humidity even if not the heat....I grew up in Virginia and still own property there.....can hardly breath there anymore.

I have read the midwest is really being hammered with heat lately.

David Graves

The Midwest is painful because of the humidity. It's only 97 (which in Phoenix would be tolerable), but the heat index makes it an unbearably damp 116F !

Albuquerque has been pretty brutal heat wise too lately. (Even in Durango it has been over 90 AND with heavy smoke throughout much of SW Colorado!)

Best wishes!

Man, I'm gonna hafta get up into Canada in order to escape this heat! Whoa!

Durango1 - I read about the fires there, but haven't kept up to date. It's still bad? Are the forests still closed?
That's so devastating. An acquaintance of mine was telling me about a family cabin up in the mountains there that was in her family for something like three generations that got completely destroyed by the fire. :-(

Just keep going west til you see nothing but water and you will find mild temperatures.

Ha! I have a friend who lives in Yachats, Oregon and invite to visit again. I do miss the coast....

I went there a year ago October. It's lovely there, but I don't recommend late October as best time to visit :D

May want to avoid CA at the moment. I can see a huge plume from my place and I'm nearly sea level!

hoyden said:
I think I'm gonna avoid CA altogether. Too expensive! :-D
And it is awful hot. Yesterday's high was 87° with an overnight low of 68°. It is blistering hot to us when it hits 90°. We need to head higher and find some snow.

Lady Bug, head west. Look for mountains. Safe travels and have fun. :)

We are on the north Oregon coast...Tillamook county.....and would be glad to share some ideas for travel from here up thru the Olympic penninsula of WA or even Vancouver Island, BC. all great country.

David Graves

Just returning from northern Montana, scattered rain and 70 degrees in the Bitterroot, and we passed by the southern edge of the Bob Marshall wilderness, with snow on the mountains it looked pretty appealing heading north from Lincoln, so if you get a chance, head up a valley with some trail access, shade, and a nearby creek. Enjoy your trip!

Sawtooth Mountains are definitely on my list, as is Bitterroot, and hopefully the Oregon coast (have a friend in Yachats)
Thanks y'all!

searching for nowhere said:
Think about Stanley, Idaho and the Sawtooth Mountains to avoid the heat. I did a quick drive through once and it is on my todo list to go back and explore.
When travelling around Idaho, Washington, Montana, etc. be sure and watch the fire/smoke reports. It's getting to be that time of year when the mountains around Idaho (Stanley, Sawtooths, White Clouds, etc., etc.) might start to get smoked in/out. It can be really nasty and actually can close the trails, etc. On a positive note though, we spend a lot of time in that area; camping, backpacking, etc. and it's great. We just got back from MT yesterday and it was awesome; same for N. Idaho.

Back
Top Bottom