No-Destination is heading North-Westerly!

hoyden said:
Sawtooth Mountains are definitely on my list, as is Bitterroot, and hopefully the Oregon coast (have a friend in Yachats)
Thanks y'all!
Just thought on one 'trail' you might do but it may not be open yet. Try the Lolo Motorway. RonR is headed up that way later this month I think after I mentioned it to him last year. Magruder Corridor too. You can go up in your truck, eat huckleberries, lots of bear grass and lakes up there too. You have to wait until they open and clear it though of fallen trees and the snow melts. Usually around mid-July.

kmcintyre said:
Just thought on one 'trail' you might do but it may not be open yet. Try the Lolo Motorway. RonR is headed up that way later this month I think after I mentioned it to him last year. Magruder Corridor too. You can go up in your truck, eat huckleberries, lots of bear grass and lakes up there too. You have to wait until they open and clear it though of fallen trees and the snow melts. Usually around mid-July.
We tried to do Idaho and specifically the Magruder Corridor last year. Beautiful country... they say. Sadly much of Idaho was blanketed with heavy smoke last summer so we finally bagged it and headed down to the 'monsoon country' of Northern Colorado.

The takeaway? Check for forest fire activity before going.

The 'joke'? Now SW Colorado is in the same boat! Here is the view this morning looking up the Animas River valley out of my Durango, CO home. (you should see a river, cliffs and mountains!)
SFf0nKvi7lzOv9GYXXZVIr1fsyeRUjNvzZMWnjwncaIXk-wJqQosYDJK9L9ezFDb-QLMUJ8bkc7xJkSh98f_SbP1KGnhvBLIUM2UQwa9tjfux-AXgKgUjpWw6oCXTv7rIqH3Y_E7BCOQpwvYVhqm6_G2tXDqNuTqRRvxbPkA3YkarybFe8g8jJyhXg_-qKivDASSeg2Z2fIJPOvpE3w7u5UsQNKzFQnOGDp-yRFW9I5URyCrYH2nFKXf0ov43WgUMl0SD1NnmC2D_w5nQmvtwwm4lcyNhcMUW9JLXo1q-S2C_J2uuVRtifx-l0Kc31OXInJKmSRukPi8eu8X3f7RRRIiS7Z7vyu-tW0h1kmL5r--a95IxGzybjo6YPefrgpRzMnrj_iA9HBc9vj7yNUnde81aEmlmBbihiJ_Y-RTnv4FETv8wCz1PiIM777zYbeaXwr-JftiDHyVeLpnkoyZPeQN2mhEt21Y_SZCNBtwF6pinWM5HouPFdxA2AT7OlITM5fpANAxihap98P09davl2zSgZ8gBdAqon4hvQTW531sFj8ijPglqF0hb2fxsLsnXfF1MwAJrmD5I6meO825hv1AIYGLk3r2_CHwGeo3=w1263-h947-no

Hey Steve, it might just be my 2 different browsers but I never get to see your images here lately just bunch of text...FYI..

SFf0nKvi7lzOv9GYXXZVIr1fsyeRUjNvzZMWnjwncaIXk-wJqQosYDJK9L9ezFDb-QLMUJ8bkc7xJkSh98f_SbP1KGnhvBLIUM2UQwa9tjfux-AXgKgUjpWw6oCXTv7rIqH3Y_E7BCOQpwvYVhqm6_G2tXDqNuTqRRvxbPkA3YkarybFe8g8jJyhXg_-qKivDASSeg2Z2fIJPOvpE3w7u5UsQNKzFQnOGDp-yRFW9I5URyCrYH2nFKXf0ov43WgUMl0SD1NnmC2D_w5nQmvtwwm4lcyNhcMUW9JLXo1q-S2C_J2uuVRtifx-l0Kc31OXInJKmSRukPi8eu8X3f7RRRIiS7Z7vyu-tW0h1kmL5r--a95IxGzybjo6YPefrgpRzMnrj_iA9HBc9vj7yNUnde81aEmlmBbihiJ_Y-RTnv4FETv8wCz1PiIM777zYbeaXwr-JftiDHyVeLpnkoyZPeQN2mhEt21Y_SZCNBtwF6pinWM5HouPFdxA2AT7OlITM5fpANAxihap98P09davl2zSgZ8gBdAqon4hvQTW531sFj8ijPglqF0hb2fxsLsnXfF1MwAJrmD5I6meO825hv1AIYGLk3r2_CHwGeo3=w1263-h947-no

The scenery is nice around ABQ, but don't forget about the INCREDIBLE New Mexican food!

Here's a few suggestions and you may even want to move to ABQ after eating there:

- Sadie's
- Duran's Central Pharmacy (lunch counter)
- Garcia's
- El Pinto
- Barella's Coffee House (old school chile)
- Los Quates
- Blake's LottaBurger (green chile cheese burgers)
- Dion's Pizza (green chile pepperoni pizza)

HI GroovyDad!!!

ABQ is on my very short list of places to land! And if temps cooperate, I'd like to spend most of my few months available right now meandering around NM! Did I write that already before? I don't remember and I'm too tired to go back and look. Ha!

Thanks for the recommendations! That's awesome!
(Oh, though I can't do pizza (dairy), nor can I do the burgers (beef)! )

I'm leaving Springfield, IL Wednesday to go visit friends in southern Illinois, then I'm gonna be socialized out for a bit (I already am!) and will skedaddle back to Columbia to hopefully get my DR350 motorcycle attached to the back of my truck, and get the heck on the road.

I really want to get out of humidity and mosquito-land, but not sure how far I'll have to drive for that to happen....

Hi Dawn
Wanted to throw this out there, if it might help you with your travels. Not really sure if your headed this way but there are cooler temps to be had.
Not a big fan of the highway on vacation but sometimes they are best to use.
Badlands park is cool to see and the morning would be best , as it can warm up this time of year. The black hills offers cooler temps but most camping is pay. Custer state park in the south has some reasonable prices. I herd so a small dispersed camping just west of Sturgis, but never went there. Check the rally dates you would might want to avoid the crowds, chokes every thing down. In and around Rapid City there are local single page free maps highlighting the good roads and places in the area. Headed to Devils tower from the Black Hills, after stopping in Deadwood, make your way thru spearfish canyon pretty sure it's 14A. From Belle Fourche 34w turns into 24w Huwlett WY has a cool little museum on Main Street. After DT 14 can get you to 90 for a short stretch to Gillette so you can get back on 14 and make your way to Sheridan, there are small streets to Dayton (you would have to find yourself) or just shoot up 90 back to 14 this will take you over the Big Horn Mountain Range. There should be enough elevation to achieve the temps you are looking for, there is camping up there and a medicine wheel if I remember correctly. On the other side 14A and 14 split but parallel to Cody WY.
Cody has a great museum if your into them. Chief Joseph Hwy can't be beat for scenery, nor can Beartooth Pass. I think Bosque Bill did a trip listing camps. That was after the eclipse . Or you can take yep 14 west to Yellowstone that section is very beautiful also.
Have fun New Mexico, is beautiful but seem to always be passing thru GD's list looks like a good way to spend some time gotta be food there you would like.

Russ

Durango1 said:
We tried to do Idaho and specifically the Magruder Corridor last year. Beautiful country... they say. Sadly much of Idaho was blanketed with heavy smoke last summer so we finally bagged it and headed down to the 'monsoon country' of Northern Colorado.

The takeaway? Check for forest fire activity before going.

The 'joke'? Now SW Colorado is in the same boat! Here is the view this morning looking up the Animas River valley out of my Durango, CO home. (you should see a river, cliffs and mountains!)
So true!!!! No fires yet but July 4th is coming and once lightening strikes start it might change quickly. Sorry to hear about Durango too as I love that place and once thought about moving there!

Well, this rather sucks. (tomorrow's highs - but it looks like it'll last for at least the next couplea weeks!)
I think it's about 10 hours for me to get below 90F from Columbia, Mo.
Hmmm.

wgfhi1.gif

Wow!

I worry about the doggies, traveling in this heat. Well, not the travel part, but the stopping part.
I suppose I could cannonball north... or perhaps I can find a friend to stay with that's a reasonable drive north/west and have a/c for a day while en route to cooler temps. Hmmmm

Back
Top Bottom