No Key? No Problem!

Captm

I just went out to the camper to do a little work and could not get the key into the deadbolt lock. My immediate thought was that some s*^# head tried to break in. Sure enough with a flashlight I could see a piece of wire/pick in the cylinder. :mad: It took me about 45 seconds, not counting the walk to the toolbox, to break in without any damage. :unsure: Should it really be this easy? How long would it take you to break into your camper w/o damage?

Cheers

Cheap locks are only a deterrent. I just had the privilege of taking a technical entry course. They taught me with no previous experience to pick 106 locks in two days. If you pay under 300 dollars for a lock it is junk and can be defeated.

Like everything you pay for what you get.

My lock worked, it kept out who ever left the broken pick in the cylinder. I removed the lock, pulled the cylinder, removed the pins and out fell the wire that was blocking my key. Since I now need to replay the lock I'll definitely upgrade it.
My surprise was that by just removing a few small screws I could get into the camper. I'll replace those tiny screws with thru bolts.
I know if somebody wants in they will, I just want to make them have to spend more time at it and possibly be dissuaded or caught.
Cheers

I'm not too willing to make it too hard. I really don't want someone using a crowbar to get in. I have a small safe for the small valuables.

so, with this, if you have expensive camera or other gear, is it safer in the truck or camper? I've always kept valuables in my truck. Thoughts?

My 2011 Hawk has no visible screws near the lock but there is a stainless plate so perhaps that covers them. I ended up removing the interior handle thinking it would be so easy to simply break the window, reach around and unlock the door. I do keep my photo gear back there but keep it out of arm's reach from the window and usually out of sight. Like CaptM I hope to create delay and possible abandonment of the burglary effort.

A few years ago I lost camera gear that was out of sight in the cab, along with a laptop and other stuff. My gut feeling is that the cab is a more opportune target than the camper so I keep my camera gear back there now. As an aside, I thought the Ford factory security alarm would protect me but it didn't. It has no glass breakage sensor and the bad guys knew all they had to do was break a window and climb in without opening the door. Happened in my driveway. There was some blood left on the door which I thought was pretty cool :)-).

We may have advantage in the thieves are familiar with breaking into vehicles but not campers. Still I look at mine and I'm pretty sure a crowbar would get you right in.

DonC said:
so, with this, if you have expensive camera or other gear, is it safer in the truck or camper? I've always kept valuables in my truck. Thoughts?
When I'm out shooting I keep my camera gear in my truck but out of sight since it's more convenient for me. If someone is targeting your gear they probably are watching to see where you put it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom