No Lift Struts

CPT Davenport

El Pescador
Son in law purchased a 2006 Hawk. And it has no shock things. There is no sign of attachment points. Did that year not have the assist mechanisms?

My 2005 Hawk had no lift assist struts, nor attachment points. I added all that myself.

You double posted and I didn't notice Mark already commented to this one so copying to here and deleting my comment to your first post.

They were not standard in the early days. I don't recall when they started adding them. Also some people had them installed inside rather than outside.

Our 2007 FWC Keystone has gas struts forward at the overcab bed inside no struts in the rear.

I upgraded them to 60 pound struts because the lever arm is shorter than if mounted at the front exterior. In addition because of the 360 watt solar panel on the roof and that there are no rear struts.

They do have to be changed out for fresh struts every few years. Apparently the seals just don't hold the gas too long. :-(

MarkBC said:
My 2005 Hawk had no lift assist struts, nor attachment points. I added all that myself.
Do you have a model number for the ones you used? Also is there any secret to mounting them?

Cpt Davenport said:
Do you have a model number for the ones you used? Also is there any secret to mounting them?
Sorry, I can't help you there. The best source for info on this (in case you haven't seen it yet) is This Thread.

The first time they became the thing to do was the beginning of 2010,(I think).
I think "The Saints" from Santa Cruz was the one who first posted about them.

I installed mine about March 2010.
Frank

Just a caution that, while those historical threads talk about 60 and 80 lb struts, the current warning in the FWC owners manual says no greater than 40 lb struts should be used for the external installation. Since those early installations, some people have had the screws that attach the brackets to the camper roof work loose and the last one holding snaps off if you don’t notice.

30 lb works fine with nothing on roof..
40 lb with one solar panel seems sufficient..

super easy install..

Cpt Davenport said:
Duly noted Jon. Thanks.

Frank what pound did you install?
I use the 40# ones ,Suspa #C16-15952 was $ 30 and Suspa #P67-00203 brackets $ 3.
I ordered right from the company as they have a great warranty.

These things work great.
I used to carry a # 60 canoe plus the solar and the top lifted without any trouble.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
I use the 40# ones ,Suspa #C16-15952 was $ 30 and Suspa #P67-00203 brackets $ 3.
I ordered right from the company as they have a great warranty.

These things work great.
I used to carry a # 60 canoe plus the solar and the top lifted without any trouble.
Frank
Thank you!

#80 in the front #60 in the rear. 330W solar panel, 40# canoe, sand traks, large cell/wifi antenna, etc on the roof. First 3" are hard to lift, even with doors/windows open and two 60'ish people pushing.

Vic Harder said:
#80 in the front #60 in the rear. 330W solar panel, 40# canoe, sand traks, large cell/wifi antenna, etc on the roof. First 3" are hard to lift, even with doors/windows open and two 60'ish people pushing.
That's quite a load Vic!

Back
Top Bottom